“A+ Hotel - Fantastic hotel and staff!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo West Kowloon - 256 Tung Chau Street

You added Ovolo West Kowloon - 256 Tung Chau Street to your Saves list
Ovolo West Kowloon - 256 Tung Chau Street
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.256 Tung Chau Street, West Kowloon | West Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Sham Shui Po)   |
Ranked #51 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.5 of 5 stars 278 Reviews
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“A+ Hotel - Fantastic hotel and staff!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My 5 best mates and I stayed in Ovolo Hotel - 256 in West Kowloon for 8 days.
Service and the hotel is simply fantastic, 5 star level for us ;)!!The staff were very helpful and was always there to help us. Special thanks to Ms Joan for treating us so special on our stay and even had a picture taken with us <3! The amenities and the room have satisfied our expectations fully(Room 19B). Room was spacious, clean and had a great view... Will be surely staying here again.

Room Tip: Highest floors - Better Views ;)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I spent 6 days in the hotel on the 21st floor. I had sweeping city views across to walls of the room which was really spectacular. The free minibar is a nice touch as they provide fruit juice, water and beer. I found the room very comfortable with plenty of room for suitcases and sufficient power points to charge my phone and computer. The Wifi in the room was quite sufficient for browsing web sites, using Line, Whatsapp and sending emails.

The breakfast is basic but more than sufficient (toast/breads, croissants, bagels, cereals, juices, cream cheese, skim and full cream milk, jams and a variety of muffins). During the day the hotel provides fruit, sweets and biscuits, real coffee, softdrinks and beer.

The hotel is really a great oasis in the middle of a somewhat busy area of Hong Kong. The Shamshuipo area is a hive of activity until all hours of the night. There are markets nearby with clothing, used appliances, cell phone cases and cables, and many great restaurants (unfortunately most menus are in Chinese - but be adventurous and point to what the other people are eating!). The cheapest way to the hotel is to take the A21 bus (HK$33) and get off in Mongkok (near the Mongkok MTR station). To take the A21 bus to the airport catch the MTR at Shamshuipo to Mongkok (exit E1) and walk to 639 Nathan Road in front of Grand Plaza. Alternately you can catch the bus along Argyle Street between Shamchun St and Canton Sts.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights in October.
very good location close to 3 underground stations.
The staff are some of the nicest people I have ever met and the service matched that.
rooms are very clean and comfortable.
Good breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The room is nice & location is quit good as its near to the MTR station.But the service is not acceptable at all.

I called 3 times before hand to confirm the check-in time and I even called an hour before arrival to guarantee to get a room immediately, but it turned out I had to wait for AN HOUR to get our room ready. The floor was wet when I entered the room, I thought it's clean, so I stepped on it with bare foot later on, and my feet all turn black! And at night, I found COCKROACH in the room ...

Second thing is, I asked for a sweeper or sth to clean the glitter I poured on the floor by myslef, but the staff said they don't have such kind of thing and just asked me to leave it there. But on the day I left, another staff asked for extra pay for cleaning or I had to clean it up! It's weird that different staff have different saying. Anyway I chose to do it by myself as its not that dirty and only took me 10 mins for that. But suddenly a cleaning lady came into my room and SCOLD on me saying why am I so slow!! She was very rude and sounded like she is my boss!

I was really mad about the attitude of the staff there, to be frank the management seemed a bit messy to me. I can't imagine how can the hotel staff SCOLD on their clients! Maybe I am just the unlucky one, I don't know, but it really ruin my mood of the stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
ovolo2home, Manager at Ovolo West Kowloon - 256 Tung Chau Street, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear S L,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us on tripadvisor. We sincerely regret that your stay with us wasn’t up to our normal high Ovolo standards. Please know that I have gone over your review point by point with our team here to ensure matters like the housekeeping and attitude you experienced will be a one off occurrence. Regarding check-in, it was indeed unfortunate the suite wasn’t available immediately. We hope our apologies at the time and the fact we waived any added expense for the party you hosted, went some way to solving this inconvenience.

S L, as a young independent company, we appreciate honest direct feedback. We will learn from this. I do hope you’d choose us again and give us the chance to do right by you in the future. If there anything else you’d like to share or if I can help with a future booking please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Edmond Cheng
Hotel Manager
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Located 10 minutes away from MTR and close to many places of interest. Room perfect, very comfy beds. Breakfast consists just of bread and muffins so no good for people on GF diet. However, would still recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Australian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in September (family of 5).

Ovolo is one of the few hotels in HK (or anywhere for that matter) which caters for families.

We had a 3br apartment. Rooms are not huge but that is HK, so that's fine.

I would like to point out a good business gesture by the hotel's manager, Mr Edmond Cheng. We were unfortuntaely delayed a day due to a typhoon. I called and emailed to advise them of this, and when we checked in the next day enquired about getting a refund for this first night. To be honest I expected to have to argue with them, but despite the booking being "non refundable" the first night was refunded in full due to the circumstances (typhoon) being beyond my control.

Many businesses could learn from this "be fair to your clients" model, and I praise Ovolo and Mr Cheng for that.

Whilst we only used it once due to being "out and about" most days, the happy hour and free breakfast (whilst not substantial) are also kind gestures, which don't cost the hotel a lot to run, and a welcome break from the "gouge every dollar you can out of every customer" attidude you unfortunately get in so many other hotels these days.

Well done Ovolo.

Room Tip: We ask for a room higher up for good views and got this.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is not in a great area (very local) but it is close to 2 MTRs. The rooms are clean and can accommodate a family if you get a family suite. The price was excellent and allowed us to do other things in Hong Kong that we perhaps could not have afforded if we had to pay the usual expensive rates for a decent Hong Kong hotel.

The happy hour is good but they did not have much (but its free). The reality is that if you are out and about you will not get back for happy hour and if you do the question is what to do afterwards as we could not see any restaurants nearby which would have appealed to us - really only street type stalls. Maybe the hotel could provide a list or guide of restaurants nearby as in Hong there are often good restaurants tucked away in buildings hard to see from the street? The breakfast as a perfectly adequate continental.

The one thing the hotel could improve on is if it could supply some plates etc in the kitchen as although you have a kitchen and microwave you have no plates or anything to heat up food in the microwave.

Room Tip: A room up high gives you a good view particularly if you have a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ovolo West Kowloon - 256 Tung Chau Street? Share your experiences!