“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel ICON

You added Hotel ICON to your Saves list
Hotel ICON
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.17 Science Museum Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Special Offer
35% OFF+Free 3G data WiFi
Ranked #4 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for two nights during my recent (24-27 September 2012) trip to HK and was not disappointed.

The hotel is conveniently located in TST East and has excellent transport links from the airport (Airport Express to Kowloon Station and complimentary shuttle bus from the station, no. K3) to the hotel.

Check-in was efficient and fast.

I stayed in the Club Harbour/City view room and it has all the usual amenities in a good hotel plus a coffee making machine, a blue ray disc player and 3-in-1 printer. Best of all, there is no charge for using the mini-bar.

A club room also allows one to use the Above and Beyond lounge located on the top floor.

I would recommend this hotel to those who are looking to try out a new hotel in HK. As this is a teaching hotel (where most of the staff are students in the hospitality course run by the adjoining polytechnic which also owns the hotel), a little patience is needed if things don't go your way but that did not happen while I was staying there.

Kudos to a well managed hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Zürich, CH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Located in East Tsim Sha Tsui East this new and stylish hotel was designed by known local designers. This is reflected amongst others in huge vertical gardens, a lot of open space especially in the lobby, the design of the rooms and even in the uniforms of the hotel´s staff. The hotel is cool, definitely.

Unfortunatetly we booked only a simple twin room facing the highway - nowhere near as impressive as the harbour view rooms. The size was OK but some of the furniture already showed certain signs of usage (scratches on the wood, etc.). What was more disturbing was that there was a clear smell of smoke in our room upon arrival eventhough it was advertised as a non-smoking room. Our complaint didn´t help much, however, it got much better the next day.

Service level was in general very good but not excellent. The lady checking us in was very cool and quite stressed, it seemed to us that the reception was slightly understaffed.

Location is good but if you want to be even more centrally located in Tsim Sha Tsui you might want to try the YMCA instead.

Clear pluses are the amazing outside pool (breathtaking harbour view) including a very well equipped gym and the great restaurants (not cheap but worth it). Especially the brunch buffet at The Market is just second to none... Absolutely amazing!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in July. Our room, although small, was comfortable and the shower was amazing! Views over the harbour were spectacular and worth the extra money. Although it's not centrally located everything's a short walk or there's also a free shuttle to other hotels which put you close to the shops/ferry. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is well set up for travellers that have a late flight with access to the pool and shower facilities after check out.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed at the ICON for two nights and found the room to be excellent but the service had room for improvement.

The good...
- large room, well appointed and clean
- free shuttle service to Harbour City
- views

The bad
- after having two good cocktails at Green our server seemed to leave without warning and the other server never came to our table despite numerous attempts to gain her attention. We had to go to the bar to request our bill as did other tables in the same area
- above and beyond lost our reservation, forgot to give us menus and then asked us to order dessert and coffee before our appetizer even arrived because the kitchen was going to close?! Very tacky..
- the scent in the entryway is very strong and overpowering

I would reccomend the hotel for the rooms but I would suggest dining elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012
HotelICON, General Manager at Hotel ICON, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear smurfarita1

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall you experienced while interacting with our service staff at GREEN.

We would like to kindly assure that these are not the norm or accepted standard at the hotel. I have personally briefed the team and shared your feedback.

Thank you again for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel ICON!

Kind regards,

Richard Hatter
Macau, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed overnight for our civil wedding in HK. The hotel is amazing aside from its affordability. Were happy for the upgrade from harbor view to club suite, but the tv from bedroom doesn't work and so we were downgrade from 18th to 11th floor. Then the in room dining took a long time for them to prepare just for salmon sandwich and two beer. The Next day in their breakfast buffet, the waiter are always passing us by and we need to call their attention just to have a coffee. I do understand that the hotel and staff are busy. But first, before they offer an upgrade they should make sure everything is fine and not leaving us hanging from expectations. Surely enough, the bed and the pillows are great to compensate their service. I'm a bit disappointed knowing I book the hotel from positive feedbacks on tripadvisor.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear michdpt,

Thank you for your feedback. I am most grateful for your comprehensive feedback and bringing these matters to our attention.

Sincere apologies for your room allocation, it is clear some work is required on that room in order to address the malfunction of the TV and we will see how this can be rectified so not to negatively impact any future guest.

In regards to your breakfast, it is clear that your experience fell far short of the level of service that we strive to achieve and would ask that you accept my apologies. We have briefed the team accordingly.

Thank you once again for your feedback, I apologize for the shortcomings during this stay and do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel ICON.

Kind regards,

Richard Hatter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I again stayed in this hotel on my recent visit to Hong Kong. It was right after opening of the hotel when I stayed last time. I was equally impressed with the hotel as in my first visit and I was immensely satisfied with services in the hotel. The hotel staff are all youthful, energetic, and attentive across all outlets I visited. Breakfast at The Market was excellent - I particularly liked the orange juice squeezer which has been added to the restaurant. Had dinner at the hotel's Chinese restaurant where I had a fantastic dish - Sichuan style prawn dish. Wallace recommended me an excellent glass of Shiraz which was an excellent company for the beautiful night view of Victoria Harbour. In my profession I have an opportunity to stay in some of the finest hotels in the world. Hotel ICON is definitely one of my best hotel. I spoke with two student interns Carmen and Bernice and I was impressed with caliber of the hotel school students associated with the hotel. Look forward to visiting again with my family on Xmas holiday.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels but this is by far the best one ever. Stylish, great rooms, many extras and an overall great experience. The staff are excellent at every level, they simply cannot do enough for you, whatever you ask.
The view from the Harbour view rooms is to die for, as are the comfort of the beds. Great bathrooms, with a TV above the taps and a lovely power shower.

Above and Beyond has a great bar and even better food.

Pool and gym are excellent also.

Most of all I love the little things like canvas bags to go shopping, the FREE mini bar, lovely turn down service and even chilled water on demand. I cannot recommend this hotel more and it will always be my location when I stay in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Get a Club Room for a great view and loads of free extras