“Club Class is Good, with thoughtful touches” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel ICON

You added Hotel ICON to your Saves list
Hotel ICON
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.17 Science Museum Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Special Offer
Save 35% Enjoy US$226 up
Ranked #4 of 690 Hotels in Hong Kong
tasmania
“Club Class is Good, with thoughtful touches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Icon in early September, & found it very good value at the Club level. Situated on the 28th floor, giving all a spectacular view over the bustling harbour, The Peak & Hong Kong. The room had a lovely feel to it, with large chairs arrange in such a way that you weren’t cramped in with other guests & bookshelves with a few ornaments & books a few years old, giving the whole room a homely warmth.
The attention from Nick, the Club manager & staff was very profesional & friendly.

Breakfast was served in the al carte restaurant ajacent to the club lounge room. A good selection, for those wanting a continental breakfast, was available. There was also a small, but adequate, a la carte menu offered, with staff taking your order, & the meal served to you.

We were greeted at the front desk by an inexperienced receptionist, who, it appeared, couldn’t seem to locate our booking, made several months earlier with Booking.Com
All was resolved very quickly, with appologies by a more senior receptionist.
As we had arrived at 9 a.m. , we did not expect the room to be ready for us, but was offered access to the 9th floor where we could utilise the small lounge facilities, with tea/coffee etc.
This floor level also has a swimming pool & showers. The shower was something else with water spraying from both sides as well as above, wonderfull after a 13 hour flight.

The bedroom, on the 25th floor was clean and spacious, with king size bed, large bathroom, a no charge mini bar and great little coffee machine. The only thing missing was a lounge chair, ( there was one, but 2 would have been nice)
The bathroom was supplied with everthing one needed, if it wasn’t, all you had to do was ask. (nail varnish remover)

Overall we had no complaints and would return again, only hope they can keep their rates competitive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed for three nights at the Hotel ICON during its soft opening in early July in a Club 36 Harbour View Room. This was the best hotel experience of my life.

The room was amazing, from the view of Hong Kong Island, to the extremely comfortable bed and stylish fittings. It was also extremely large- a Club 38 room must feel truly spacious.

The service was consistently impressive. The check-in was seamless and professional, and the staff seemed legitimately interested in making sure they knew how to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The Concierge service was accurate and helpful, although I only used it once to purchase tickets to an English language movie.

The free mini bar was freshly stocked every day, the cleaning service was always impeccable, and the laundry was quick and well priced.

Otherwise, the hotel facilities are fantastic. The view from the pool is incredible, as is the fitness centre. It was just disappointing that the pool closed at 10pm, because you could soak in it for hours. The included breakfast is also of a particularly high quality.

Finally, I highly recommend getting a club level room. The nightly cocktail hour(s) in the Above and Beyond Bar were fantastic, it has an amazing view, and the bar staff were personal, and would make anything you wanted to taste (free of charge). Although the Above and Beyond breakfast wasn't as good as in the main restaurant, it was easy and efficient.

A friend visited me while I was staying at the hotel, and said, quite simply, she couldn't believe that I was getting something so impressive for less than three hundred Australian dollars. Neither could I.

Room Tip: A club level room facing Hong Kong Harbour
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I come through Hong Kong quite often... sometimes I stay with friends, sometimes in cheap hotels and sometimes I splurg a little. On a recent trip I wanted to stay somewhere really nice and experience a bit of luxury. After a bit of searching I found Hotel Icon which has only been open from early 2011. At first glance I thought it would be beyond my price range, but after checking the dates and rates, it wasn't that bad. It might be out of some peoples price range, but I think for what you get in the hotel it is well worth it.

Location: In Kowloon, near the HK Museum and Museum of Science. It is really only a 5-10 minute walk to East Tsim Sha Tsau mtr station and another 5-10 to TST station and Nathan Road. Around the hotel there are lots of restaurants, shops and cafes (the BBQ place across the road is pretty good and cheap lunch specials). Only a 10 minute walk to bars around Hanoi Road or Knutsford Terrace. I loved the free shuttle bus to Kowloon Station, as I go there for the cinema, shopping and to eat. It is actually a free airport shuttle bus, but we used it a few times. The hotel also has another shuttle bus to take you closer to the mtr... so walk or be lazy, but it really isnt that far from anything.

Hotel: The design and decoration of this hotel I love. Quite modern and funky, but not loud or garish. The foyer and cafe on the ground floor is AMAZING. The whole back wall is alive with plants... a vertical garden (I wonder how they water it??)).

Rooms: I have stayed here twice now... first time in the Icon Harbour View Room. What I wanted and what I love is you get a view of Hong Kong island and the harbour. People like staying on HK Island, but the best view is of HK island. The rooms are not huge, but not tiny either... which is very normal for HK. Bathroom is big, awesome shower and bath too. Beds are really comfortable and twin beds are quite big too. Free mini bar (no alcohol though), big LCD TV and great blinds/curtains which block out the sun when you sleep in. The second time I stayed was in the Club Harbour View Room. More expensive, but a few more amenities in the room (ipod dock and speakers, printer, nespresso machine and private check in ) and you get free access to the top floor cafe/bar. Free breakfast, free coffee/drinks all day, afternoon tea and the best bit... free cocktails and tapas in the evening.

Service: Amazing. Very attentive, from the guys at the door, to reception, to the guys collecting your bags... they have staff in the foyer to ask if you need help, or taxi or anything when you come down to the foyer.

More: The pool is awesome... the best views of HK island, even when you are in the pool swimming. Gets a bit hot up there though and not any plants or anything to help this out... but chairs and umbrellas. The gym is there too... looks pretty good. Inside there is a sauna and big change rooms with lockers.

All in all... I love this place and if I want to stay somewhere really nice and not an old school 5 star hotel (which there are sooo many), this is where I will always come now.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view, the harbour rooms are awesome. The club rooms are higher floors and...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have stayed there twice, on overnight stopovers in Hkg. We were getting concession rates of about $US 200/night, which is more than we usually pay for stopover accommodation but it was well worth that little extra. The room was beautifully appointed, luxurious bathroom with high quality toiletries, lovely fluffy robes to wear to the pool, free minibar (softdrinks and snacks), excellent tea/coffee and even a set of bathroom scales for weight conscious. Wi-Fi was included, breakfast was not. Service was good. One small niggle. On our second stay we arrived at about 7 am from an early incoming flight. Not unexpectedly, they were unable to give us a room, pleading there was nothing available. However their first response was an unhelpful "room occupancy does not start until 2 pm", (not the response to encourage a couple of tired, overnight travellers). A more experienced front desker quicky changed that to "we will be happy to accommodate you as soon as something becomes available". We then wandered Kowloon for an hour or two seeking a hot noodle breakfast (the Icon coffe shop was open but we wanted something more Asian) but found no room available at 10 am. We asked if we could use the pool area to wait, and were graciously given a pass card and sent up to the 9th floor. We had no sooner settled around the pool when the pool attendant suggested we go to the very comfortable, air-conditioned "guest" lounge on the same floor, equipped with expresso coffee/ tea/magazines, comfortable chairs, a very pleasant place to while away an hour or two until we were ushered to our rooms. I understand the hotel is a "training institute" and at 200/night, with trainee staff this is marginally acceptable. However we should have been offered the guest lounge on early arrival, rather than allowed to wander the rainy streets at 7 am. At full rates of 500+ per night I would have stormed out to a more welcoming reception.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Maple, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Booking:

Hotel ICON is available for booking through all the popular online booking sites as well as their own portal. I managed to book my stay through our online corporate Travel Agent with no issues.

Getting to the hotel:

The hotel website offered clear directions as to how to reach them from the HKG airport. I chose to travel via HKG Airport Express train service to the Tsim Sha Tsui station where there are free shuttle buses to take guests to a number of hotels including ICON. It’s easy enough but if you prefer a more speedy option, you could opt for a short cab ride from the station to the hotel. It’s all fairly straight forward but with the cab option you could save about 15-30 minutes.

Check-In/Check-Out:

Both were done efficiently and quickly. I was greeted at the door by the bellhop who took my luggage and directed me to the reception area, which seems a bit small for the size of the hotel and makes me wonder of possible line ups during peak occupancy times. Alas, despite arriving relatively early for Check-In, the agent managed to assign me a room that was ready for occupancy. He also informed me that the charges were pre-paid through the Travel Agent. Check-Out was equally efficient and quick enough.

Common Areas:

Hotel ICON has a swanky looking lobby. It’s very airy and light. There are also some interesting looking pieces of furniture adorning this area. As a whole it’s a well designed place with a vibe of “energy” emanating from it. Common areas I experienced through my stay were kept very clean and tidy. There is also always someone present here to greet you, assist you with the elevator or any questions. The staff always acknowledged me with a smile.

Room:

The rooms are of a very modern design with woodgrain covering the walls. The bathroom is separated from the bedroom/living area via a sliding rounded door. Bathroom itself is very well designed with separate tub and shower with a great rain shower head as well as as separate area for the toilet. The counter top has enough space to easily hold toiletries for two travellers. The hotel provides all the usual bathroom amenities you can find in higher end 4 and 5 stars. They also include a nifty amenity bag, similar to those handed out on international Business and First Class flights.

The beds are of a very comfy design and use premium sheeting. The desk area is also of a generous size with a comfortable chair. The finish for the desk area doesn’t seem like it’s holding out very well though under use as I found quite some scratches and scuffs despite the hotel being practically a few months old only. The TV is a great size with an easy to use remote and interface with all the usual western channels along with the local Asian ones.

Lighting is also very well thought of. There are variety of light sources to provide you with as much, or as little lighting as you would like. This is an area a lot of hotels miss the mark in.

The windows are well insulated and as such, I’m happy to report there was absolutely no outside noise present in my room through my stay, despite facing a rather busy street.

ICON really tries to differentiate themselves from the other brand name hotels. Wi-Fi is free throughout the hotel, including in the guest rooms with decent speeds. They also provide free mini-bar in all their rooms, with the club ones having access to alcoholic beverages as well. They’ve clearly decided to forego price gauging the guests for the conveniences which goes to say a lot about the straight forward attitude they’ve taken to hospitality, which is great.

Club Lounge:

This is definitely one of the best club lounges I’ve ever visited! You have panoramic views of the beautiful HK harbour and skyline out the windows. It’s also tastefully decorated. There are menus for both breakfast and the cocktail hours which is a nice touch. Service is fairly quick although a bit incoherent at times. Staff are again very friendly and have a good command of English here as well.

Verdict:

Hotel ICON is a great new addition to the rather busy hotel scene in Hong Kong and in Kowloon particularly. They manage to differentiate themselves from the ‘old’ players by providing extra amenities and services at no charge. I believe this hotel, if managed in the same fashion, can easily become a favourite amongst visitors to Kowloon who seek convenience, value and relative luxury.

Definitely recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

As a Asia Pacific Regional Hotel Controller several years, I have been staying in more than 100 hotels. Hotel ICON, Hong Kong is the most horrible and unreasonable one. Besides defame my reputation in hotel business, it also caused my health status much worse.

I was invited by Mr Richard Hatter, the General Manager to stay at their suite through email in the end of May 2011. My wife and I checked into the hotel on 2 June 2011 with an original plan to stay for two nights. Unfortunately, I was suffering from health issues and I immediately informed the management of the hotel that I would like to extend my stay to 21 June 2011 after checking in and the management agreed.

During my stay, I had pointed out to the management the inadequacies of the hotel through emails. Mr Alvin Yim, the Front Office Manager and Ms Susana Frok, the Director of Rooms had admitted their knowledge about the problems but no improvement had been made. They tried to offer 3 nights complimentary stay to comfort me but it was rejected by me.

I had changed rooms four times because of the sub-standard service rendered by the hotel. The problems that I had encountered included but not limited to the following:

The hot water system was not working properly which made it not suitable for bathing. Because of this problem, I had to change the Room 2009 to Room 2011 at midnight despite I was indisposed.

Whilst I was staying in Room 2011, the lights flashed continuously and I had to change rooms again back to Room 2009.

I had complained again to the hotel on 18 June 2011 that the hotel breakfast service was not up to standard. My complaint had never been addressed and there was no improvement in the breakfast service.

At about 8:15pm on 18 June 2011, my wife went back to the room to get the medicine for me but found that the key card had been de-activated. At the same time, Mr Alvin Yim of the hotel asked me to go to the conference room on 28th floor and told me to check out immediately. I requested to stay for one more night and leave the next day because I had an important meeting at 8:30pm and I was not feeling well. Mr Yim refused discourteously alleging that I was behaving inappropriately during the stay. The allegation made by the hotel was totally untrue and defamatory in nature. At the time when Mr Yim wanted to expel me and my wife, he knew full well about my health condition and the check-out date would be 21 June 2011.

After checking out from Hotel ICON, I urgently checked into the Island Shangri-La Hotel at 00:39am on 19 June 2011. Due to the unpleasant and poor service at Hotel ICON, it caused my health to deteriorate and I had to check into the Sanatorium Hospital several times and saw the specialists after 18 June 2011.

From 2 June 2011 to 18 June 2011, I had settled at a total cost of HK$37,615.50. However, my stay in this hotel was totally unsatisfactory because of the sub-standard service rendered by this hotel. I had changed rooms four times for various reasons and this hotel was negligent and had failed to exercise reasonable care and skill in performing their service to me.
After I rejected their offer of complimentary stay for 3 nights, the management decided to expel me and my wife. I was wrongly accused of poor behaviour during my stay at the hotel which amounts to defamation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel concept is based mainly on design--sleek lines, vertical gardens, cutting-edge technology. But as with any new hotel--the Icon has it's share of birthing pains that make it not quite there yet, in as far as hotel excellence is concerned.

Arrival via Airport Express bus was smooth, a doorman ready to swing open the rather narrow door. As I had booked a club room, I was directed to the special reception on the 28th floor. I will have to note that the greeting at the main floor was cursory at best, unwelcoming and uninspired if I were to be truly honest. I wish I could say reception on the club floor improved, but that wasn't really much the case.

As I was shown to my room, I turned on the television and here came the first major snafu. The technology on their televisions is so new, no one could remove an irksome, running blurb from the manufacturers on the screen--an hour later, two visits from engineering and housekeeping--and I finally had to ask for a change of rooms.

The rooms are spacious by HK standards--clean, modern lines, new furniture, excellent linens. The toiletries are not the finest, but they were sufficient. And the design, especially of the bathroom, was interesting and esoteric, if not very inspired. A curving door closed it in, and an eye-shaped shower stall with rainshowers completed the modish style. The bath tub was smaller in design and yes, there was the charming television adjacent to it.

The club floor was small and given the high volume of guests during my stay--was not in the least bit inviting. It was crowded, busy and not very well manned. I would think it would be more enticing if there were less people as all tables, whether lounges or bar stools, were always full. The same can be said about the pool--great view, excellent design but really quite small and congested with people. I think the staff has yet to learn when loungers have been vacated--and in fear of removing someone's reservation--most loungers linger all day with strewn towels but nary a guest. I tried venturing a swim at 630 am, but even then, two other swimmers had the same idea and we all had to share our laps with in arm's reach. The gym is fairly complete and is in a sun-dappled room facing the enticing harbor. An excellent hotel gym by all regards.

The shuttle to shopping areas is a great idea--unfortunately it can only make drop-offs and isn't prepared for pick-ups. A shame, considering it can take considerable time and sweating in HK humidity to walk back from, say, Ocean City.

Breakfast was varied, interesting and good value. All the western staples with some Asian offerings, including Singaporean and Indian. Service here was at it's best.

The most unfortunate thing about this hotel perhaps is the fact that rooms were not entirely soundproof. My next door neighbors were a group of teenagers and enjoyed themselves immensely playing loud music and screeching to their heart's content.

Would I return? HK always has interesting choices on the page as far as hotels are concerned. The design element here, sorely the primary pull of the hotel, felt charmless and un-involving. The staff are either too young or too busy to do their jobs right. And like most thing modish and new--Icon is interesting to look at, but rather empty at the core.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel ICON? Share your experiences!