“Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   International Commerce Center, No.1 Austin Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (West Kowloon)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Connect With You
Ranked #3 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.5 of 5 stars 1,029 Reviews
Rockhampton
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel In Club Suites.Club Manager ( Jessica Lui)
The service Experience was above and beyond . Every time you made a request or asked for help it was given cheerfully and professionally. The Ritz Carlton should be complimented on the service culture in this establishment. Well Done

Room Tip: Corner suite overlooking harbour
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I've been travelling around Asia on business, and using HK as my base, and decided to trial a range of hotels for my next trip later in the year when I'll be based here for longer. This trip was for 3 days.

I stayed in the deluxe suite and this provided me with access to the Club lounge. The room was spacious, immaculately clean, amazing views and the bed very comfortable providing some of the best night sleeps I've had whilst away.

The club lounge was huge and I found it a relaxing atmosphere, and I was surprised to read other reviews of the noise, although will admit I don't recall any children in the lounge when I was there. I must also agree with other reviewers on the quality of the food served in the lounge. I only managed breakfasts and dinners but the food variety and portion sizes were very generous and food quality excellent. I would also highly recommend the Ozone lounge again for the spectacular views.

I was instantly recognise every time i entered the club by the manager and her staff, and found them all incredibly friendly, and welcoming, nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them during my stay. I was left with a very positive feeling during my stay and will definitely return on my next trip to HK.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

i go to hong kong a lot but this was the first time i stayed at the ritz carlton, although i have been to the lounge for drinks once before, and to ozone, the bar at the top floor, for a night out with friends a few years ago. i was very pleased with my stay, most especially with the service that was accorded by the front office, in particular, mr aven putranto, the front office manager. on my first night, there was quite a lot of noise coming from the room next door. there was a child speaking very loudly and his mother for some reason was speaking to him in an inordinately loud voice. i reported this to the front desk as it was past midnight and the noise was incessant. they told me that they would look into the matter and asked if i wanted feedback from them via a phone call to my room once they'd attended to the matter. i said that would't be necessary - please just make the people next door quiet down. eventually, the noise ceased.

the next day, i was pleasantly surprised to receive a note and a platter of pastries from the front office manager apologizing for the noise and offering any other assistance that i may require. i thought this was quite a nice touch and thanked mr putranto for his thoughtfulness. i had put in a request for late check out on the day of my departure, and i followed this up with mr putranto, who very kindly extended my check out time to 4pm, and then to 6pm when i mentioned that i had several appointments to attend to on my last day. this was really very accommodating as a 6pm check out would normally already warrant another full day's charge. i felt that this really said something about the care that the hotel management wants to give its guests, and this is the sort of personalized service that makes me want to stay at the ritz carlton again.

needless to say, as i am sure other reviews here will mention it, the view from many parts of the hotel was fantastic. i has a harbor view room, and for maybe two meals at the restaurants, i had a table by the window. at the moment, there is a black truffle festival at tosca, the italian restaurant. the burrata ravioli is absolutely to die for!!!

location-wise, it is very convenient that elements, a mall that's got everything, is located right downstairs. you don't need to walk out onto any street to do any shopping. everything in HK is easily accessible via the train system that is also in the same complex. the front office even had someone escort me with my luggage all the way to the train station - again, great service.

definitely, i will be staying at the ritz carlton more often now on my trips to HK.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've stayed at a good range of 5 star hotels in Asia, Middle East, Europe, and N. America (and have reviewed some of them here). The Ritz-Carlton HK is, literally and without a doubt, the best hotel I've ever stayed at. Suite I had was impeccable, view was outstanding, service was truly beyond belief. Fei Yip was my "Guardian Angel" (e.g., akin to a personal concierge) for the trip - unparalleled level of helpfulness and service. Pretty much a perfect hotel. The only reservation I might have would be the Cantonese restaurant on the 102nd floor (although views were fantastic and I got my best photo of HK there) - not an enormous fan of the food. Loved having Ozone lounge on the top floor for lazy nights when I didn't want to leave. Spotless, beautiful, gorgeous design, amazing views. Even the hallways smelled nice :) Great brunch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
JAKARTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The current tallest hotel in the world occupies the top 10 floors of the Hong Kong’s latest skyscraper, the ICC tower. With a lobby at 102th floor and rooms starting at 108th floor, almost any rooms in this hotel are guaranteed to have spectacular views. I visited the hotel about two years ago when it just opened and at that time, first impression was less than favorable. I have given the hotel time to iron out the expected teething and startup problems and finally willing to try it out under a “Stay 3 nights, pay for 2” promotion program. It will be very interesting to compare this hotel with my current all time favorite, the Four Seasons Hong Kong.

Arrival

As usual, I booked the hotel limo to ensure a smooth arrival experience. The limousine transfer does not have the meet and greet service of the Four Seasons but it’s a small matter for me as I am very familiar with the Hong Kong airport. Upon exit, the airport attendant escorted me to my ride, a S-class Mercedes. I felt that the limousine condition was a bit more tardy than what I was used to, but still nothing significant to affect the ride. The journey was about 30 mins and upon arrival, I was escorted by one of the Club lounge staff for in-room check-in. Upon arrival at the 102th lobby, a senior staff introduced herself as the Director of housekeeping also follow the escort to my room.

Grand Club Deluxe

I have studied the rooms of the Ritz Carlton in detail and concluded that the best room other than the premier suites will be the Grand Deluxe Room, with views of both Victoria harbor overlooking the Central skyscrapers as well as the rapidly developing Kowloon new town and residence. I booked under the Ritz Carlton STARS program with my travel agent and one of the perks is an upgrade to Deluxe Suite. However, having seen the Deluxe suite before with it’s claustrophobic layout, I have specifically requested not to be upgraded. Of course, this room comes with Executive Club access.

The Grand Deluxe Club room is an expansive 70m2 corner junior suite that feels very spacious and elegantly appointed. All the necessary amenities are there, including a high definition television, blu-ray player, Beosound 8 Bang & Olufsen iPod dock, in-room coffee machine, electronic curtains and all the usual bells and whistles of a modern luxury hotel. The en-suite bathroom is equally gorgeous, with premium finishing and the best part is the huge overhead sky-shower in the shower stall with great water pressure.The bed is very comfortable as expected of a Ritz Carlton. There is also a comfortable day bed beside the window.

The best feature of course is the view. It’s truly breath-taking especially in the evening when Hong Kong lights up. It feels wonderful to have the entire hong kong panoramic skyline right under my feet, blanketed under a sea of lights. It’s a very special feeling that is not easily duplicated in another hotel. Only the night views from Tokyo can match this. However, a word of caution here, this “view” is not always enjoyable throughout the year. Because the hotel is so high up in the sky, the views can get covered or obstructed by fog, clouds or even pollution, which is a regular occurrence in Hong Kong. Best time to visit will be June and July summer period where clear skies are more frequent.

The common areas

I am not a fan of the interior design of the hotel. It’s rather ostentatious and gaudy, with huge crystal chandeliers and intricate woodcarvings, lacquered surfaces and polish metal and gold adorning almost everywhere you turn, trying to scream “luxury” to visitors and staying guests. It’s a bit of a sensation over-load. However, I can put up with it. As other reviewers have pointed out, the hotel has an arrival lobby at the ground floor, the check-in reception and concierge desk is at the 102th lobby along with all the restaurants, and the Executive Club Lounge is at the 116th floor. To access the hotel rooms or to leave the hotel, one has to first take the lift up to the 102th floor and then change another set of lifts. To go to the restaurant is another set of escalators. It does gets a bit confusing and the hotel helpfully stationed many staff to provide directions for confused visitors and guests. Some other reviewers have pointed out the inconvenience of queuing for the elevator and having staff verified their status as guest before letting them up. I encountered none of these during my stay and the elevators operated quickly and efficiently. Most of the staff seems to know by instinct that I was a staying guest.

I tried the Lounge for buffet dinner and the Chinese restaurant for lunch. In both cases, the food quality was top notched. I particularly enjoyed the wagyu beef served during the buffet dinner. Chinese food at Tin Lung Heen is also top notched and tasty with the exception of one dish, an overtly salty wonton that the restaurant graciously did not charge us. I also had breakfast at the lounge every morning and it is preferred over the Executive Club due to better ambience and also I enjoyed sipping coffee while enjoying the view. Food quality at breakfast is once again top-notch. This hotel does have excellent F&B standard.

I used the gym twice and was a bit less than impressed. The gym was not manned when I use the facility and I think the equipment is less than complete. There is an indoor swimming pool and a Jacuzzi but not the aqua pool like the one found in the changing room of the Four Seasons. The aqual pool is like a mini swimming pool that have powerful shower jets for a very relaxing massage like experience. There is also a Spa but I did not used the facility.

The Executive Club Lounge

The Executive Club lounge in typical Ritz Carlton style is huge, taking up half of the entire floor. The club lounge boost five food service a day including breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, evening cocktails and supper and free serving of champagne, wine and liquor and drinks all day. The food serving is one of the most generous I have encountered in my travel both in terms of variety and portions. If need be, one can have all the meals at the club lounge and not felt hungry. As expected, the club lounge also boast spectacular views of Hong Kong skyline. I particular love the provision of jars of chocolates, candies and sweets that club guests can feel free to help themselves to, including bringing them to the room.

At last, there is a major issue with the Executive Lounge, ie Noise. Unfortunately, due to the hotel’s status as the latest and plushiest new luxury hotel in Hong Kong, it is, as expected attracting a less than desirable crowd. Some of them are families that saw fit to bring their screaming toddlers and babies into the lounge, virtually camping there to enjoy the free food. As a result, it is near impossible to conduct any business meeting in the lounge most of the time, or sipped champagne peacefully while enjoying the evening view. All in all, the club lounge in my opinion failed to provide a peaceful and relaxing environment.

Unlike other Ritz Carlton properties, the Hong Kong hotel does not have a child-free policy for their Executive Lounge. Speaking to the staff, I am not the only one to complain. Upon checked out, I signaled my displeasure to their Director of Rooms and she promised to get back to me but as of this writing, not yet.

Overall, I have to say very good. Most of the staff were consistently polite, very welcoming and eager to help. A few of the Executive lounge staff can do better with some smile and more pro-active engagement with the guests but I do not really blame them as they have a big crowd to serve. Housekeeping is excellent, and kept the room spotless and clean most of the time. The waiters at the restaurants are excellent, including both the lounge and the Chinese restaurant. That said, the service is by and large rather impersonal, even in the Executive Club lounge.

The hotel provides a free shuttle limo for club guests to go to nearby areas like the Kowloon train station or the large harbor view shopping mall. Room service menu are rather basic and can be improved upon. Upon checked out, I did have an issue with a F&B credit that was not recognized in the system although promised by my travel agent. The issue was quickly resolved, as the Director of Rooms happened to be there and instructed the checked out staff to apply the credit.

Comparison with Four Seasons Hong Kong

It is interesting to compare the hotel with the Four Seasons as they basically target the same customer base and even owned by the same owner.

Room physical product : Ritz Carlton – being newer and more well equipped, especially the sky shower in particular is spectacular.

Views – No contest. The Ritz Carlton wins hands down. Baring a foggy, cloudy sky, the view is like no other.

Hotel and Room Décor – The Four Seasons wins in terms of design and “tastefulness”. The Ritz is just too gaudy. However, this is very much a personal preference although I have many fellow travelers agreeing with me.

Food & Beverage – A close call. However, the Four Seasons have two Michelin star restaurants serving top-notch cuisine and a much more comprehensive in-room dinning menu. The Four Seasons wins.

The Executive Club – In terms of food serving and variety, it’s close. The Ritz Carlton wins by a slight edge by having a bit more variety but the Four Seasons wins in terms of ambience and personalized service and create a very relaxing atmosphere. Same cannot be said of the Ritz Carlton for reasons mentioned above. Also, while the Club Lounge Manager is always on hand to introduce herself, take part in the serving and greet guests at the Four Seasons. The same is not so for the Ritz. In fact, I didn't encountered this person or know who he or she is during my entire 3 days stay. The Four Seasons win.

Gym and Swimming pool – The Four Seasons gym is more complete and comes with better equipment. The staff are also more attentive. The outdoor inifinity pool at the Four Seasons Hong Kong is probably the best in Hong Kong and very likely the best of any city hotels in Asia. While the Ritz’s pool might have a nicer view, it is not as spacious and relaxing and you cannot enjoy natural sunlight. The aqua-pool is missing in the Ritz.

Service – Both are excellent, both are polite, eager to help and generally very well trained. The Four Seasons edge out the Ritz by going that little bit of extra mile that make all the difference. In summary, the Ritz’s staff get your requests done, but the Four Seasons’s staff asked what more they can do for you.

Conclusion

The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong is overall a great and very enjoyable hotel. The issues with noise in the Executive Club lounge means it isn’t perfect but the spectacular views kind of made up for it. The room comfort is top notch and service, while not personalized, are very competent. I hope they iron out those issues so that I can look forward to a return. Overall rating : 4 out of 5.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

2 day stay at the Ritz,immaculate service,immaculate rooms,immaculate hotel.We initially had a deluxe with a harbour view on the 113 th floor which has an amazing view,and remarkably for Hong Kong,no mist,crystal clear.We did,however have a noisy family in the room beside us and despite the hotels best efforts it was after midnight before silence returned.I mentioned the incident to the reception staff,and after deep apologies was whisked with all our belongings to a corner suite with an even better view,truly great service.I noticed in an earlier review that the reviewer described the staff as "snobby",that was so not my experience.I,like the earlier reviewer was dressed very causally and found all the staff to be friendly and helpful and was never challenged entering the hotel.I will return here next time i am in Hong Kong and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Harbour view every time,Hong Kong skyline not to be missed
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Macau, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

It was a late review as i was having a wedding anniversary on March 2013. That is one of my best time in there. When I made the reservation and mention that i will celebrate the wedding anniversary, the reservations team immediately asked if i could send some wedding photos to them. I did not ask the reason and send them a few. When I stepped inside my room, my wife and i saw a very beautiful photo frame with our wedding photos, and of course including a card from the management team. It was so Lovely and suprise!!
At night when i came back to the room after dining out, I found out the Housekeeping team have prepare a hot bath with rose petal. What a another big suprise!
Besides that, everything is perfect and especially Tin Lung Heen chinese restaurant as this is the outlet you cannot miss!
Here, i would like to thank the GREAT EFFORT for Karen@reservations, Niki@Guest Service , David@Tin Lung Heen, Jackie@Rooms, HSKP team and all the front line staff during my anniversary trip.

Room Tip: Add a little bit more money to club floor and you can simply enjoy their wine Unlimited! Good news f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong? Share your experiences!