“Good location, good price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Butterfly on Wellington

You added Butterfly on Wellington to your Saves list
Butterfly on Wellington
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   No.122 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Only on butterflyhk.com
Ranked #40 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore
“Good location, good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Good little hotel in the soho area. Its not a big luxury hotel but we didn't want to pay big prices as we planned to sight see most of the day. It is clean and close to central station, IFC, and Landmark. The rooms are a bit small but manageable. We walked from central station to hotel in about 10 min after getting airport express. Use mid level escalator. It is close to all the resturants and cafe, especially Whydem street. The flying pan is close by cafe to grab breakfast in the morning. We would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

This is a great boutique hotel for prime HK exposure -- and at a great rate. It offers a very personable, professional staff; well-maintained rooms and common areas; free internet; and they say complimentary access to some of the city's establishments (from what I remember), though that was not something I was made aware of until I completed the guest survey. HK is jam-packed and you're in the center of it all! Some come to embrace this for so much culture, great shopping, ease of access or necessity (business, etc.), and others are UNpleasantly surprised by how much a commodity space and quietness is in this city; if the latter is the case refer to my review for Le Meridien Cyberport.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW: The hotel is a bit hard to locate -- even for cab drivers -- so I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you bring the hotel's name, address and phone number (preferably ALSO written in Chinese), a map along with street intersections and two or so landmarks. The hotel's façade and entryway is quite low-key. You'll see a guard/greeter in the entryway, then proceed to the second floor.

My experience: Upon arrival, I was a bit a little apprehensive that even a resident cab driven didn't know where this hotel was (which is actually part of what makes Butterfly on Wellington so great; you are SO ENTRENCHED in the city, and HK has so many small streets with a lot of establishments on them). I was warmly greeted and it almost seemed like reception was expecting me at that exact moment. I was seated and offered a beverage while everything was processed. My room...well, it's HK, so do NOT expect a lot of space unless your favorite hobby is spending. Everything was in order, so I was a happy camper. In comparison to my last stay in HK at Le Meridien where it is isolated and very quiet, I was expecting a loud night and a hard time sleeping. It was actually very quiet. Don't count on a view. Well, count on a genuine HK view...lol...one with lots of buildings in close proximity. That aside, the hotel's location is GREAT! I felt like most things were within walkable distance. I also loved the fact that you don't feel like you're on tourist island, kept away from the "real" side of the city. With Butterfly on Wellington, I felt immersed in residential/domestic everyday life. The hotel also offers free internet and there are computers located in the lobby for guests to use at their convenience.

Tips: DEFINITELY take Peak Tram, the cable car close to the zoological and botanical gardens, in the evening hours. Also, reception (from what I remember) advises that breakfast is served in the morning. While I was there, all they offered was coffee, I think some juice and small biscuit cookies w/ a local newspaper. If you need any sort of toiletry, tylenol, drinks or snacks at any hour, make a right outside the hotel, walk up a block and make a left. You should see a 7-Eleven and another convenience store across the street....a lot of people arrive at the hotel late at night, and if you want to keep on a budget, it's useful.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Maxing, Manager at Butterfly on Wellington, responded to this review, January 23, 2011
Great thanks for your feedback and valuable traveling tips for fellow readers! We are glad that you are satisfied with our hotel location and service standard. Since Butterfly On Wellington was just opened for a few months, we will continue to work on promoting our hotel and hopefully the local taxi drivers would be much familiar with us in the near future. Thanks again and we look forward to serving you again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

This hotel showed so much promise, but has ended up being one of the worst hotels I've ever experienced in Hong Kong. As an ex-pat who has lived in Hong Kong and stayed in many hotels in HK on trips, I have something to compare to.

Pros: To be fair the staff are generally lovely with a few grumpy exceptions, and they do try to do their best to give you what you want. The location can't be beaten, and the decor does look lovely when you first walk into your room. Here is where it ends.

Cons:
1. Smoked out non-smoking rooms. Our non-smoking room on level 17 smelled like a smoker’s apartment, and was two single beds despite booking a double, and we had to stay in that room first night because the hotel was fully booked and it was all they had. Moved the next day to another non-smoking room on level 12 less smoky, but you could still get a whiff of smoke from time to time. Clothes not yet worn that remained in my tightly Zipped up suitcase reeked of smoke from that first room.

2. Noisy, hence very bad sleep. Water gurgles in pipes all night, you can hear somebody cough in the next room, the housekeeping staff start at 7 am and bang their access door about 50 times loudly, which sounds like it's right in your room.

3. Beds. Despite booking and paying for a double bed we ended up with a two single beds, nearly fell out a couple of times, haven't had to sleep in single bed since I was about 16 years old! Pillows were rubbish, flatten out into a pancake like thickness. even two together were terrible.

4. Bathroom. Water pressure is really bad in this building. In the room in level 17 we could hardly get it to flush. The rest of our stay on level 12 the hot water oscillated between scalding and chilly on a cycle of 30 seconds each on rotation. The water pressure went up and down accordingly. Having a shower was really not fun at all and took longer as you hopped around in the shower to avoid getting burnt and frozen.

Overall: this hotel is young and is already wearing very badly. The baby poo brown carpet although only a few months old already looks like 30 years old. The housekeeping noise is fixable, but the rest of it is a real problem. I wasn't happy paying just under $300 Australian dollars per night to be woken up multiple times and get tortured in the shower. Left my room each morning exhausted and in a bad mood. I will NEVER stay here AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Maxing, Manager at Butterfly on Wellington, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
I am writing with reference to your recent comment on 31 Dec 2010. Firstly, we apologize for the inconvenience created during your stay. We are much concerned about our guest's experience and upon reviewing the issues you have listed out, we definitely will take great care to ensure that important matters such as these are properly managed. Again, it is unfortunate to know that on this particular occasion we have not succeeded in meeting your expectations, we sincerely look forward to serving you again and to providing you a satisfying stay in our hotel soon. Thank you.
Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

A little gem in an otherwise expensive city for accommodation.

Takes a little bit of finding,but worth the effort...if in doubt take a taxi,but I walked from the train station at Central after taking the airport express.

Good security-lift was attended all the time and you can only access hotel floors with a room key fob. Rooms were comfortable although quite small. Great bed and shower area. Staff were very helpful and internet access throughout. A nice treat at the end of a long trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Hyderabad, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

no a bad place.... but, at the time of my review.... in the top 10 of HK. I don't think so.

clean, neat, little hotel. Great location for wining and dining.

if you get a good price.... take it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks a lot for your feedback! We are glad that visitors rank us in good position on the top hotel list. At the same time, as a brand new boutique hotel, we also pay much attention to provide excellent service to meet customer’s expectation. We hope you have found our hotel an enjoyable place to stay, and we look forward to serving you again soon!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Going to the lobby, receptionist was very friendly. Went up to the room, size was excellent, got upgraded to their wellington executive room. Check out was flawless, I didn’t have to wait, only took about 2 minutes. Only downside, there are not a lot of taxis outside. But I would still give this hotel a five star, excellent hotel, recommend to anyone!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

I stayed there for a few days in late November. The hotel is in perfect location. Staff are always friendly and provide excellent service. Even hotel does not provide breakfast, don't worry about this. You can find lots of restaurant nearby. I stayed in deluxe room. The room is clean and comfortable. I will definitely come back to Butterfly on Wellington!
How can you miss the chance to stay in a brand new hotel with good value of money??

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your generous comment! We are happy to know that you enjoyed our service and the convenience of our hotel location. In case you have any trouble on getting transportation during your next trip, please feel free to seek help from our front desk officer, we will be ready to help you out!

Been to Butterfly on Wellington? Share your experiences!