“Excellent location. Photogenic buildings.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hullett House

Save Saved
You added Hullett House to your Saves list
Hullett House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1881 Heritage, 2A Canton Road,Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #110 of 611 hotels in Hong Kong
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent location. Photogenic buildings.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Located in middle of Tsim Sha Tsui, shopping haven where everyone can find everything from most pricey brand names to bargains along the streets and alleys. World's best shopping experience. Close to the hotel are the subway stations, the Star Ferry piers, buses, connecting you to the whole of HK. The historical buildings are charming and were renovated with lots of respect to the history of the place. Even cells were preserved in the Marine Bar, this place being an old Marine Police HQs. Five good restaurants. Breakfast was Good. Hotel rooms might have been an afterthought in this mixed-use commercial complex , and they were obviously designed by a non hotelier. Every one of the ten suites were decorated differently. No real lobby to start with and no drop off for cars, which was the first non-welcoming surprise. We booked the red-theme Chinese corner suite, but had to ask to be downgraded to a terrace suite, because there was only one wash basin, and no couch or sofa to seat ourselves comfortably. The terrace suite was spacious but looked bare-- a bed, a writing table, two arm chairs. Conflicting designs in the Scott-theme suite: the aircon vent on the ceiling was right above the bed; TV set was on the wall beside the bed but DVD player and audio equipment were in the closet in the bath room; bathroom door and the closet doors were opened into each other, hence could not be opened simultaneously as they would hit each other; the shower had but the rain shower head as if we all wanted to wash our hair every time we took shower; worst was there was no electrical outlet where you could plug in the hair dryer in the bathroom. On the soft side, the staffs were very friendly and helpful. When we had problem with the key card, the housekeeper who happened to be in the hallway went to get a new card for us in no time, even with language barrier. We also had good experience with the staffs at breakfasts and lunch. Overall, a unique boutique historical-building hotel to be tried for a different experience and be away from the big crowd at big chains.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Globescourer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hullett House. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Hullett House, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; Your feedback is then very important to us.
Also, we have the pleasure to inform you that we just changed to a new owner lately. Therefore, please rest assured that we are taking the right appropriate measures to address those concerns to the new Management and prevent any future occurrences.

Kindly please feel free to contact me for any new experience in Hullett House in the near future, through my below email.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve soon.

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Rooms are large, and the location is good, but the historic building that houses this hotel is deserving of something better suited to its colonial heritage style, rather than the garish mixed bag of décor and furnishings currently in use. The potential is there for a first class facility, given the right management team and staffing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Donbassero,

Therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please contact me personnally on my below email as you can share your feedback to me.

Thank you and looking forward to hear you.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This has to be the most unique hotel in Hong Kong, just ten or so rooms and all with at least a shared balcony to enjoy the unique atmosphere and the sunrise and sunset of an amazing city. Even the standard suites are almost double the size of some of the other similarly priced 5 star hotels in Hong Kong. Fabulous customer service from Perrine and her staff who couldn't do enough to help. Brilliant restaurant and a great bar area for an afternoon drink. A real oasis in the middle of Kowloon...just wish I had more than one night there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Mr Darryl,

I am glad you get a memorable stay with us in Hullett House. I appreciate your comments.
Feel free to contact me again for any assistance in Hong Kong when your next trip shows up, and also, for any friends requests. Thank you again.

Best Regards,
Whistler, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Each room is decorated differently. Mine had a very pretty Chinoiserie canopied bed and lots of space but not much furniture, so the room felt bare. The bathroom wasn't especially well-designed, and it was a bad idea to carry over the room decor which made this particular bathroom feel dated rather than charming. Room lighting was poorly thought out and there was no bedside lamp. However the bed was very comfortable.

The verandah is not private, unless you get the even pricier corner rooms. This made it mostly unusable since you can't relax on it when anyone else at all is around.

I was really annoyed that the tv cable system provided only about 10 channels, all Chinese except for one which occasionally had random English programs. There were no mainstream English channels - no CNN, History, Discovery, NatGeo, HBO - none.

It is very hard to find the Reception desk. Around the shopping area many signs point this way and that way to "Hullett House" but they refer to the building, not the hotel, and there is not a single sign that actually shows you how to get to the entrance or lobby. The hotel entrance is not on Canton Road or anywhere in the shopping area but on Kowloon Park Drive. Even when you finally get to the right entrance and get into the elevator, there is no mention of the lobby. (Go to the First Floor, ring the bell, and sooner or later someone will come.)

All in all, the management is charging you a lot for the history and the location, and the one-off room decor, and is offering very little in return by way of amenities or services. At this price a guest deserves more than a pretty bed. Try it once if you wish, just for something different, but this is not a hotel I would care to come back to on my regular stopovers in Hong Kong.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hullett House. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.
Please refer to me directly for your next visit to prevent any future occurrences, as I can bring some "french touch" and drive your stay more comfortable.

Looking forward to hear you again.

BR
+852 5416 8184
Jhb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay here, in the D'aguilar room! The Sunday lunch was out of this world and well worth the money. The room was stunning and the hotel is well located,near the ferry and rail lines. Breakfast was great.... Eggs Benedict is my favourite and this was well perfect. Great trip to Hong Kong and a very special hotel. We chose it by chance because we knew the hulette name from our past (not related to the hotel,just association). But we can recommend it unreservedly.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Kadjhb,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Hullett House. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Incredible hotel with genuine history and character. Not only does it offer amongst the best service I have experienced, but provides something few others can, a real piece of Hong Kong's story.

Breakfast on the terrace, sitting in the sun, overlooking the island and watching the world below was a particular highlight.

I had a great champagne brunch in the parlour with friends, highly recommend if staying here or otherwise.

Special mention goes to Perrine, the house manager, a delight to deal with, made me feel incredibly welcome and couldn't have been more helpful.

Room Tip: Check out the website, find a couple of suites you might like and ping them an email to see if they...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Mr. Stuart,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Hullett House. It is always a pleasure to receive constructive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.
Thank you also for letting me know that I achieved your expectation.
As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

+852 5416 8184
united kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

It's absolutely not the fact! I stayed there the night before my big day not long ago! The lighting in the room was failed and nobody let me know the faulty problem until I found out by myself at 3 something at midnight! A staff came to my room and showed me how to use a chopstick to control the lightings behind the wardrobe. Then he turned to me after he realized even those switches were inoperable. He suggested me to remove the keycard to turn off the light for bed! So I paid the price of a 5-star hotel and I don't even have air-conditioner in my room!

The incapable and unhelpful manager even said if she were myself, she would forget about it and go out to enjoy the city! Trying to avoid meeting myself and my husband when we returned to the hotel to follow up after she did not contact us at all that she promised twice. Blaming us for taking photos in the hotel room with photography crew on my big day while emphasizing that even using an iphone to take pictures in the room is prohibited! Final settlement was a complimentary tea service in one of their restaurants which group purchase have had offered a few times at around HK$100! Huge surprise!

Think twice if you don't want to risk to ruin your holiday or once-in-a-lifetime event! I am sure you wouldn't face such terrible people and unfavorable experience if you have the same problem in any other well-known 5-star hotel. I would rather pick a chain hotel that guarantee excellent service and value their customers at all times after this awful experience!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Perrine R, Front Office Manager at Hullett House, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Elle1209,

Thank you for taking the time to bring to my attention your stay issue you had recently in Hullett House on September 2012.Your willingness to share your recent experience is highly appreciated.

Regarding your wedding issue, I am highly concerned but this is a good point you mention to us.
Indeed, the shootings are not allowed inside the property as we really want to keep this property as unique, due to the Heritage background of the building. I thank you for your understanding.

In the future, we highly recommand you to let us know upon reservation in advance, your purpose of stay as we can arrange a special package arrangement.

Please contact us on our email hotel@hulletthouse.com to know more details about your concerns as we can improve our services in the future.

I thank you very much and hope to serve you personally in the near future.

Regards

Been to Hullett House? Share your experiences!