“Hands down best dim sum” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists

Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists
Shop 72, G/F, Olympian City 2, 18 Hoi Ting Road, Tai Kok Tsui | Olympian City Mall, Hong Kong, China (Mong Kok)
852-23322896
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #92 of 4,636 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
“Hands down best dim sum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I always bring visiting friends here.. as it's HK's best kept secret and is supremely "local". Range of dim sum is not vast and it's not a place with a view, but all's forgiven when you see the reasonable costs for the exceptional food. Go here for a perfect slice of HK. :)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto
“Not worthy of Michelin Stars or visits as an average dim sum restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This review is for Tim Ho Wan at 2-8 Wharf Road, North Point.

Recommended by two locals, we decided to try this restaurant. My cousin, who is born and raised in HK said she doesn't understand the hype and I have to agree with her.

Keep in mind the Michelin star restaurant is only granted to the location in Mong Kok.

This restaurant is a one dish wonder. The BBQ pork bun is the only dish I deem worthy of trying this restaurant. Definitely not worth wasting my afternoon to try this in the 3 days of my trip! The BBQ pork bun had a crispy exterior liked a fried pineapple bun and very hot and tasty centre. This would be a great addition to a HK style cafe serving hot milk tea!!

The second runner up dish was the glutinous rice wrap, only because is larger than life. The taste is average, the rice was quite chewy. Also, nothing "gu fat" or traditional about it. It's missing the bits of fatty pork inside, which is why it lacks flavour. Also ordered, the har gau, siu Mai, chiu chow dumpling, cheung fan, home made cuttle fish balls, turnip cakes, etc etc. I think with 4 people we ordered 13 dishes and came to 300HKD. Cheap, but nothing memorable. The dumpling skin was soft and falling apart. The chiu chow dumpling had 95% celery, turnip, cilantro and peanuts, not enough minced meat. The cheong fan that I find is so thin and smooth in HK was thick and soaked in very sweet soya sauce. As if the flavours from the food itself wasn't good enough.

They also keep getting the orders mixed up with the table beside us.

Not recommended! Won't go back; not my definition of Michelin starred restaurants.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Panzhihua, China
“Order more food than you think - it's cheap enough!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was a bit tricky to find but that was probably our mate's directions!! Anyway for anyone's whose looking, walk right to bottom of Dundas Street and hang a right and cross over the road (Dundas street is near Mong Kok MTR and it crosses over Nathan Road but I forget which side to walk down - sorry). The sign is white with green Chinese symbols and its pretty obvious which restaurant it is because there's loads of people waiting outside. Plus you will see the tripadvisor & Michelin Star certificates in the window when close up. When you get there take a slip and mark off the food you want then hand it to the lady who will give you a number. Wait for your number to be called and you're in. The restaurant is tiny and if the person sat next to me wanted to get out I would have had to stand up and move my table plus food etc. out of the way. The food was super cheap so I guess that's why he hasn't yet got a bigger restaurant although I do think he has three others somewhere (according to the business card we picked up inside) - dunno. The kitchen looked like a steamy greenhouse off to the right side and I wondered if Mr Tim Ho Wan himself was actually in there cooking my food.The food dishes were small yet pretty tasty (we wished we'd ordered more so bare this in mind when you're filling out your slip outside). Although to be honest, one of my dishes was a stuffed aubergine (egg plant) dish and I didn't think it was a scratch on a aubergine dish I had at This Old Place Cafe in Xing Ping nor from a street BBQ at Liaoxia market, Houjie. I don't know why but it feels good to know I've eaten in a Michelin Star restaurant for less than a fiver (5 GBP). Worth the visit!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Over Rated and Not worth the wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I visited the eatery in Jan and waited 2 hours and I would say overall is OVER RATED. I order about 20 dim sum dishes and our table is not even big enough to put the food. Food : Other then the char siew bun, th rest item is below average. Why the wait? The eatery can only sit 20+ ppl and the table is small, no comfort at all. They are moving to a bigger place soon. I would say there are alot of local "cha lou" and cheap dim sum place than this. Given there are so many choices in Hong Kong, I would not go back again.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Truly a top Yum Cha destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Amazing dumplings, up there in my top 5 places. Like previous reviewers, get there early to avoid the long long long queues. Barge your way to the front, grab a number, fill out a menu, a keep a keen eye on the number list as it slowly creeps towards your stomach, umm err table, which you will ultimately need to cosy up with 6-7 of your new best friends! And yes they do shoot the number s off quick in Mandarin, Cantonese, and occasionally English. To the dumplings; probably the best Char Sui Bao, fantastic filling and pastry that has to bad for you it's so good. Great Har Gau and Cheung Fan range and reasonable Siu Mai.
As a dining experience, seen to be experienced, but very polite ladies (all the guys seem to be the dumpling creators). 3 locations in Hong Kong; ICF mall, lower level on the island, Kowloon and the original in Mong Kok.
If you come to Hong Kong, got to Timmy's, you owe to your taste buds!