“hassle free, one of the best guesthouses in sincere house” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oi Suen Guesthouse

You added Oi Suen Guesthouse to your Saves list
Oi Suen Guesthouse
R811-812, 8/F Sincere House, No.83 Argyle Street, Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Mong Kok)   |
Ranked #168 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 stars 127 Reviews
baguio
“hassle free, one of the best guesthouses in sincere house”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

we've stayed before in at least 5 guesthouses in the building, and this is one of the best we've stayed at in terms of cleanliness, convenience, and easy communication with the friendly manager.

our room was small, which is standard for hong kong rooms, but the room was quite clean, and we slept well enough considering that the room had no windows. air conditioning was okay, hot water was steady, but you need to turn on the switch for the heater for at least 10 minutes before taking a shower, which is normal for the guesthouses in sincere house

oi sue is very well located in argylle street. there is a local bus stop right in front of the building. the stop to the airport is about a 3 minute brisk walk away.

Room Tip: one of the staff from another guesthouse said it's cheaper to book rooms at sincere house via ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I must admit, the first impressions were not great, The Building is a bit uninviting and dim. Very nice helpful staff though, we had a small room with a window looking out to the service duct, As bad as this sound the room reminded be of a toilet block, simply because of the green tile walls. It was very clean however. It had a shower over toilet arrangement but the drainage was not flash, it would overflow if you showered too long. The bed was very small for a double and was firm because it was simply a mattress on a timber 'bench' frame Clean mattress tho. The Aircon worked well but it was a 'in-window' unit and as the window was in a service duct it was full of other air conditioning systems, one of which dripped alot and landed on the top of our air-con, the result was a rather repetitive loud dripping noise that went all night.. It did take a while to get used to it :/ Also sometimes there was a long wait for the lift, on the last day around 8am we waited for 3 full lifts to go passed the floor and ended up getting frustrated and giving up and taking the stairs (6 floors with all our luggage) The wifi worked OK but was very unstable. Overall it was budget range accommodation and if I was to return to Hong Kong id spend the extra $30-$40 a night on something mid-range. Be sure to walk 2 blocks north and take a left to get a Froyo from Crumbs :)

Room Tip: go for a twin single room instead of a double for larger beds :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

If u r on a budget this is the right place.
It is very small but remember it is hong kong. It is absolutely clean!!!!
Great location & friendly staff!
Highly recommended and definitely will come again.

• Stayed February 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Last may'12 go with my family,after review from a lot of comment from Internet,we consider book this hotel.cause is under our budget .first of all,when we step into d hotel,the guesthouse is what we aspect,hong kong style hdb,the lift very small only cam fix 5-6person only,but if got luggage will little bit tight la.room very small,d guesthouse provide us are 2 double-decker bed la,but there got free wifi,room after put luggage no more place to stand la.but d location of guesthouse very nearby to tong choi street, fa yuen street, walking distance to temple street around 20min la.guesthouse also provide selling like ocean park ticket,Disneyland ticket,ferry transfer to Macau....guesthouse also provide some info for meal,so we success eat a lot of delicious local food la.overall, recommend for those lower budget traveling in hong kong la.

• Stayed May 2012
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I had one of those broom cupboard single rooms, en suite so small i had to shower over the toilet, feet hung over the end of the bed by about 12 inches, price 360 HKD. OK for one night. Good location near Mongkok station.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed at Oi Suen for the third time this year (previous stays were in 2010 and 2011). All bookings were for 2 person rooms even though I traveled alone, as I am 195cm (6'4") tall and about 90Kg (195lbs) and I need a bit more room to move around.

Let's go back to 2010, the first time I stayed there: The place was recommended by a friend in Macau and at first I was skeptical as I had never stayed at a "guesthouse" before. At the time, Ellen/Rainbow was not the manager as yet (but more on that later). Miss Lam was the manager and treated me with much patience and hospitality even though she could not find my reservation when I arrived. Uncle Lam (who retired a few years ago) said outright that I was an impostor that didn't have a reservation with Oi Suen. I found that statement to be very rude but ignored it. Later, I found out that Uncle Lam was a very frank person, so everything's forgiven. Eventually, Miss Lam found my reservation and after paying for the room and key I was shown the room. Well, first impressions were not too good as I was given a windowless room (I did not know I had to spell out the requirement for a windowed room at the time, but I learned quickly). However, the room was spotless (yes, spotless) and the sheets and pillow cases were laundered and new. The bed was a bit hard but I got used to that soon enough (they're now softer, BTW). Free WiFi was great and the room was at least quiet. That was a one night stay.

The next year (2011) I returned to find that Miss Lam had retired and that Ellen/Rainbow was in charge as Manager now. Reservation was found with no problems although I had to book a week earlier (3 weeks prior compared to last year). Was shown a room in the new wing (same floor, but at the other side of the building). Had a window but it looked into a chimney-like ventilation shaft that was quite noisy with the sound of dripping water. At least I had a window this time around. Room was spotless once again and sheets and pillow cases were clean. Another one night stay. No complaints except for the dripping sound. Room has its own toilet, basin and shower. Got to know Ellen a bit better but did not really have a long talk with her.

This year (2012) returned for the third time. Had to book 4 weeks in advance! Was there for a 2 night stay. Got one of the best rooms they had, # 8, which has a window facing the street, and is bright and cheery. Only downside is that there is a shower and basin but no toilet in the room. You'll need to use the common toilet near the reception area. Not a big problem if you don't mind walking down the hall to take a pee. Probably the most comfortable stay I've had so far with them. Also managed to talk at length with Ellen, and found out that Miss Lam is her mother (big surprise!!!) and that the guesthouse is a family business.

Must say that there is no "perfect room" at Oi Suen, as many of the rooms have a different configuration from one another and it's a bit of a lottery when you book with them (or as Americans like to say: it's a crapshoot). The best part of staying at Oi Suen is interacting with Ellen, as she is knowledgeable, attentive, friendly, kind, polite, professional and above all, very funny.

I know my way around HK, but she was still able to point me to places and restaurants that I didn't know about. She treats all of her guests like friends and is very sincere and genuine with them. Her employees are also friendly and professional, and her cousin, Sam, who also works there, deserves an honorable mention as well for his excellent service.

I intend to travel to Asia in April 2013 and will book with Oi Suen again when I am in HK. Will return as long as they're in business or until I find a better place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic, please get a room with a window! There are a few windowless rooms that wi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Lijiang, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed in a single room at Oi Suen for four nights. On the second day of my visit I came down with the flu and was absolutely miserable. The owner was so sweet and gentle. She walked with me to the doctor's office down the block, holding her umbrella over me. I am so grateful that I ended up at a place where I could get help in this sort of situation. That aside, fantastic location, great price, clean rooms, and lovely air conditioning.

Room Tip: It is true that the windowless single room is very small. If you have never been to Hong Kong and ha...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Oi Suen Guesthouse? Share your experiences!