“Very average hostel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Venetian Hostel

Venetian Hostel
You added Venetian Hostel to your Saves list
Venetian Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Flat F1, 14/F, Mirador Mansion, 60 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #86 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
2.5 of 5 stars 34 Reviews
Stockholm
“Very average hostel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed and Venetian Hostel 16-03-2012 - 28-03-2012. When we arrived our rooms somehow weren't ready or the hostel was full so they gave us another rooms in Chungking Mansion (not in Mirador where Venetian hostel is located). The rooms (on 17th floor) as I understood, were deluxe or something like that, so they were really good - newly renovated, covered by tiles, bathroom was small but still ok for one person, mattresses covered with plastic in order to avoid bedbugs and mine had 2 windows (although I booked a single room without windows). Despite the fact that Chungking mansion staircases and building itself are a disaster, these rooms were like a little oasis in that madness of smells, dirt, people from all over the world offering you cheap fake bags and. Unfortunately, we had to switch rooms for the last night and then I've got the room I booked in Mirador mansion... small, no windows, mattresses weren't very clean as well, towels had holes in it, bathroom was soooo small that there was only toilet and sink and you can shower when you sit on the toilet:) Bathroom's doors were damaged so all the water appeared on the floor of the room after showering and it was wet all the time. And other thing - hot water is only on certain hours, so manage your time to have hot water :) well all this would be ok, taking in to consideration the price, location and the fact that almost all hostels located in Mirador and Chungking mansions look the same or even worse but I have many negative notes to reception staff - they weren't friendly, they seemed to not care at all, there were no wi-fi in rooms in Mirador Mansion and I had to ask for clean towels twice. There wasn't 24hrs service either! I would advice reception desk to be more professional in the future because even in these conditions it is possible to offer better service and better quality for this price. For travellers I recommend not to book this hostel in advance but try other places like Welcome hostel, located in same Chungking mansion building, because the quality of rooms are slightly better or the same, they have windows, wi-fi and you can pay for each night separately which allows you to check other rooms and other prices if you have some spare time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Thai first
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I understand that for the price of this type of guest house I should not expect much which I didn't, but its beyond i thought what was ok. I had paid the same price for another guest house the building next to this and the staff was much more helpful and polite. The reason why i didn't book the same last one cos it was full so i randomly tried Venetian since it was supposed to be "newly renovated" and didn't have any review so I took a chance.

The room I booked was covered in wet towel at the door by the toilet when I first walked in. I thought it was for guest to step on after coming out of shower/toilet. But soon i noticed it was actually a leakage from the wall. I had to wring out the soaking wet towel throughout the night to prevent the dirty water from flooding to my luggage (since the room was tiny). Next day I addressed to the staff and the guy who worked at the office tried to tell me "the floor is wet because the weather in Hong Kong now is kind of wet" I was thinking,"Are u kidding me or U think i m an idiot?!" I told him, "ah no, it was flooding from the wall!" Then he said,"ah, yeah I know." and that was it, he didn't say anything else. I asked if they have another room I could switch to, he said, "come back tomorrow." Went back next day and finally got a manager, but no room so I'd rather pay more to get a bigger upgraded room. They showed me a room that looked like its in a dungeon, dark, no window, and the toilet is outside of the hallway.. I insisted I couldn't take that room. So later she agreed to give me another room, which was same size as my 1st one, 2 single bed instead of a queen. She said it was a "brand new renovated" room so she had to charge me for the upgrade price. Fine I took it. I didn't end up showering there that night and next day when I did, i realized its also leaking water from bathroom to the room floor. And the shower unit was only half way working. Next day I wanted to ask for my refund for the upgrade price, they refused and ignored me completely. I didn't bother arguing for it so i left it as it was.

P.S. this place has a shower/hot water curfew - hot water is only available from 7am-1pm, and 7pm-1am. I thought it was strange and very inconvenient. The building is full of random business and people, and the main elevator shut down after 10pm so u have to take another side elevator up and walk around the confusing layout building to find your room. Also always long waiting line at the office if you need to talk to them for anything. Their office doesn't open before 9am, lucky I checked with them the night before since I had a hunch that they might not be available for some reason in the morning. My flight was 8am, if I hadn't checked out the night before, I would have been screwed.

Just to be fair to say couple things that are positive: they have drinking water (hot and cold) available at each floor outside the rooms, also free wifi.
I used to live in Hong Kong and have never experienced this side of Hong Kong. As far as I remember, tourism is one of the most important business in Hong Kong and most customer services of tourist business usually are very good and efficient regardless of the prices. This place is a total fail. U could get a much better place and service with same kind of price range.
I will NEVER go back this place again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I am ok with the room although it's small, cleanliness is terrible as the floor is not clean, and left over guest's sleeping mask and tissue on the floor when I check in. I couldn't access to my room when I reach midnight as they don't provide 24 hours on desk service, I need to call the staff using my phone to open the door for me. towel and bed are not clean as well. One thing good is only accessibility, but in term of safety, it's not guarantee as a lot of foreign worker hanging around. Please don't stay this hotel, I believe any other hotel will be better than this ever....

Room Tip: Choose room that don't have window might be better as the street is quite noisy at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed in USA Hostel from 20th Dec'11 until 24th Dec'11. I found very terrible and try to search around the nearby hostel and hopefully can get the better one. (You can refer to my review on the USA Hostel for the details)

When i went to the 14th floor and try to ask the information from Venetian Hostel, the girl over there ask we go down to the "Flat F1, 13/F, Miradr Mansion" which is actually the from desk of the USA Hostel to ask for the details. The girl even told me that actually Venetian & USA are under the same management and the room provided is "share-share between them". I am not sure how true of this, but if what she said is true. Means that Venetian & USA are totally same - Very terrible. In fact, if you try to compare, the term & condition of this 2 hostel are same. We need to pay extra HKD100 per room per booking and it is not refundable.

Room Tip: Please add additional HKD100 on top of the room rate you're booking for your budget. And it is n...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I am not kidding, the room was 4 foot x 6 foot. the ac didn't work it was never cleaned. I had a TV holder and no TV. the linen, ( yes one ) was dirty, the towel had holes in it. I killed a mouse the first night. All this for 40 plus a night, I paid in advance for two weeks.
I don't mind Hostels, really, but lets try to do a good job. these people don't. I finally got a better room but I will no even think of going here or this neighborhood again. the better room was 5 foot x 10 foot and had a toilet in it, the dimensions include the toilet area.
They shut down the AC when they want and hot water at any time. Cheap isn't even close to these people. 3rd world butt heads, don't waste your time or your money. spend the 100 plus a night or better yet, get a china visa and spend time in Shenzhen, China. Hong Kong is a great city just you get what you pay for in some instances, not this one though.

Room Tip: dont look at the pictures, they lie and get away with it all the time
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011 via mobile

I would not recommend this hotel. The area did not feel safe. The door of my room could be opened from the outside if you just turn the handle to the right. I did not stay here as I was worried someone would come in and rape me at night. I ended up staying at a different hostel in Fortress Hill because I felt too uncomfortable here.

When checking in, I went to the 14th floor, but there was a sign to go to reception on a different floor. Then I was sent up to the 16th floor for my room. While meandering through the hallways, I got odd looks from people. It seems to be a local building. The hotel likely used to be an apartment and it got changed to make small rooms.

The pictures are very misleading. No girl would like that washroom. No towels or soap provided. I showed the room to a couple of local friends and they said it looks worse than a love hotel.

I was not impressed with the service. No smiles at all. One woman was a bit friendlier when I tried to speak Cantonese with her.

• Stayed November 2011
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Dodgy looking guesthouse on the 13th floor of a dilapidated building and the corridor had an extremely unpleasant smell to it. The owner of the place was no doubt friendly and helpful, but that is the only compensation Venetian has to offer.

I am not expecting hotel-like service, understanding very well that it is a hostel after all. However, the place is absolutely disgusting. The beds are crawling with bed bugs, the toilet of the room I was in didn't have a knob, the wallpaper was peeling and the wall lamps were TAPED to the wall. This place is falling apart.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Venetian Hostel? Share your experiences!