“the official choice was a nice one” 4 of 5 stars
Review of East Hong Kong

You added East Hong Kong to your Saves list
East Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.29 Taikoo Shing Road, Island East, Hong Kong, China (Quarry Bay)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Last Minutes Offer
Ranked #32 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
New Delhi, India
“the official choice was a nice one”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I was booked in to the East by a colleague at work - since my APAC office is in the same complex - Cityplaza , Taikoo Shing, Hong Kong.

I guess the rates I stayed on were preferential, corporate rates.

Service at the check in desk was extremely efficient.I had a very well appointed room and was extremely comfortable.

It was described as an urban view room - in other words - it faced the apartment blocks located behind the hotel - which I was not too thrilled with !

I would have had to pay a premium for a harbour facing room - which I did not want to make a fuss about - since it was an official trip.

I did, however, request for an upgrade to a harbour view room which i did not get :((

One thing that disconcerted me - my room had floor to ceiling glass windows which allowed a huge number of houses an unrestricted view of me - unless I completely shut the blinds at night.

More so since the attached washroom was an open one - with no door and and an almost complete glass wall !

Superb from a location perspective - I had to walk through the mall next door to my office - which took all of 5 minutes if I did not get distracted.

Look forward to the magic of a harbour view next time !

Room Tip: A harbour view room is the best option.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Willem V, Manager at East Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your positive review and I am happy to hear you had a good stay at EAST Hong Kong. I am not sure if you have tried our rooftop bar Sugar on level 32. Sugar has a large terrace offering great harbor views and we offer great cocktails.

We look forward welcoming you back soon.

Executive Assistant Manager, EAST Hong Kong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed for a week in May 2012. It was nearly faultless I have to say. Firstly, it is about 10 seconds (literally) from the MTR station, it feels upmarket, cool and on-trend from when you walk in. The room, while having a naff view (14th floor) was cleverly designed, it had everything you need and a monsoon shower with hot powerful water. In this city, this is welcome!

Also , had a large, comfy bed, floor to cieling windows, iron etc etc all in room. Also spent one evenign at the hotel roof terrace which was bang up my street; DJ playing good house tunes, upscale crowd, nice drinks, great views etc. If you like this scene you'll be suitably impressed.

Next time I'm in town I will almost certainly stay here, loved it.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have better views but are charged accordingly.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Willem V, Manager at East Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and it is great to read that you have enjoyed your week stay at EAST Hong Kong.
I will make sure to share your good feedback with our team members.

We hope you will return to our hotel in the near future.

Executive Assistant Manager
New Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I just flew back home from my short trip in Hong Kong a couple of days ago and the hotel that I stayed was the East Hotel.

Here are some of my opinions that I would like to share in related to the hotel room.
It did not impress me at all when I first stepped into my room which was located on the lower 8th floor with urban view. It means that not only there is no view but also no privacy if you do not have the electronic window blinds closed completely. The reason is that those people living so close by across the street can clearly spot you from outside their homes. I felt very uncomfortable during my entire trip and had to have it closed it immediately when getting into my room.

No traditional "DO NOT DISTURB" door knob sign can be located. Instead, by pressing a button on the bed-side-table and as soon as a tiny red light comes on, no one will bother you from the outside of the room. Door bell is not reasonably loud enough to be alert of.
In addition, the only sink that I used during my stay got stuck twice in a row without a clue. (I got someone have it fixed the first time but did not bother it the last day when I checked out the hotel) Plus the water from the sink can splash everywhere.

Besides, if you do need to use the toilet, once the door stays open widely (it has to be pulled out), no one can make his way across from either side.

I found out it is very weird that there are only 2 pieces of wall glasses being used (one is facing you directly inside the bathroom while the other one is standing side way in the toilet) for the entire room are in deep brown or burgundy. (still got question marks everywhere in my mind and been trying to figure it out.)

The setting of the clock is not very practical - you have to get up in your bed and turn back in order to read the time with your lazy eyes. It is always a hassle to set the alarm clock unless you have the patience to go through those tons of steps or instructions. I-pod can never stand on its dock station securely unless you find something else to support it.

Over all, I can only give my thumbs up to those friendly-used 37" LCD TV as well as those complimentary tea bags along with the espresso machine that can suit my needs. Services provided is just average.

Since "MTR" is just right across the hotel's main entrance plus both shopping mall as well as a huge variety of foods are very easily available at "Cityplaza" and which is just a block away.

If you are purely looking for convenience, it is highly recommended for you to stay at the "East"

Room Tip: If you really need to stay at the East Hotel, a higher floor with a harbor view is a MUST.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Patrick

Thank you for your detailed response and we will look into all the comments you have made.
Please note that we will share your feedback with our team and see where we can make improvements.

We look forward to seeing you again at EAST Hong Kong.

Executive Assistant Manager
Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Excellent business hotel. Pool hours too short. Nice bar but too small. Restaurant international with an inspired chef. I would come back here.

Room Tip: The harbor side! More expensive but worth it. And the higher, the better.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We did an Asia tour (Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Thailand, Macau, and Hong Kong) and the East Hotel in Hong Kong was definitely our favourite. When we first walked in the decor is very modern and the staff was super friendly (very good touch with the young/hip attire). We went to our room and it was amazing, the blinds are all electronically controlled so you can just set it all to go up and you get a great view (assuming that you get a Harbour View Room). The hotel is very close to Cityplaza and the MTR.

The Sugar bar which was located on the 32nd floor of the hotel was just awesome. The breathtaking views is a must and even just going there alone will make your stay that much more enjoyable.

The hotel was a bit far from Central Hong Kong but it’s not a problem at all because there is shopping around you and it’s not too far to get to Mong Kok and other desired places.

Would definitely recommended and stay here again.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Eddy

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed EAST Hong Kong during your Asia trip and we look forward welcoming you back in the near future!

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed being in a part of HK that I had never stayed in before. The area is mostly populated by locals however there is a great shopping centre (with H&M) right next door. There is also a MTR station right underneath so easy to get to Central or TST.
Check in was seamless. Like others have said, the view from the 26th floor was absolutely phenomenal. Going to bed and waking up each morning facing the harbour was truly memorable. I loved the shower which had a glass window allowing you to look at Kowloon whilst being drenched by a rain water shower head. Little touches like iPod with music on it, laptop available on request if you need to book DHL for some reason, a lolly jar, in room travel adaptor, cords etc.
I would recommend a harbour view room for sure. There was also a notepad next to the bed with puzzles to play if you're travelling alone or want to tune out for a while. Loved this.
There is a restaurant on level 1 called Feast which makes surprisingly great lattes to go.
If its your first time to HK I probably wouldn't recommend you stay here as it is a few stations out from where all the action is. Otherwise definately one to check out for a couple of days.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Willem V, Manager at East Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your positive words about our hotel, it is great to read that you enjoyed all the little things we love to offer to our guest to make their stay even better.

We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Fresh Meadows, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I did not stay in this hotel, however, during my visit in HK back in Nov 2011, I went to the roof top lounge a few times. The courteous staffs always gave me very good impression, until I have the following incident, I have to say they have excellent customer services!

The Hotel locates in a somewhat residential area from what I can see. Like many other HK attractions, it is very convenient as it has many different choices of public transportation. Even late at night, you can take the MTR which is only an escalator away, or the taxi stand always line up with taxis. The roof top lounge - Sugar, has an amazing view, particularly if you choose the outside seating. If you will go at night like I did, I highly recommend to bring an outerwear or a scarf with you.

On the night before I return to the States, I spent an enjoyable night with my friends at Sugar again. While on the way back to the hotel that we stayed, my boyfriend realized he lost his iPhone. We immediately went back to East HK and planned to search for it. Unfortunately the lounge was already closed at this point. We then talked to the front desk hostess and explained the situation. She immediately escalated up to her manager, and he offered to bring us up to the lounge without hesitation. It was already 3 a.m. The manager also asked couple of other staffs to help searching but with no luck. They searched every possible places including the bathroom stalls, planters behind the seats, spaces underneath the sofas, flipped thru all the seat cushions etc. Sadly we left with empty hands at around 4:30 a.m. The manager asked for our contact info and promised if he would find it, he would call us. We then gave my HK friend's contact info to the manager.

Coming back to the States with disappointment and ready to buy another phone, then my friend told me that she received a call from the East HK few days later and said the iPhone was found.

Special thanks to the manager and the staffs who had helped us during that night. Although I forgot their names, I always appreciated their efforts and followed up. They took our matter seriously. Not that many people out there will treat the lost & found items like the way they did.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Willem V, Manager at East Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
We are delighted to read about your positive experience at EAST Hong Kong. I will make sure we share your feedback with our team members who helped you retrieve the I-phone of your boyfriend.

We hope to see you soon

Executive Assistant Manager, EAST Hong Kong

Been to East Hong Kong? Share your experiences!