“Cheat” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kam Shan seafood restaurant

Kam Shan seafood restaurant
G/F, 62-68 Woo Sung Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Jordan / Yau Ma Tei)
852-23327366
Neighborhood: Jordan / Yau Ma Tei
Perth, Australia
“Cheat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our hotel is nearby the restaurant and we walk pass it everyday. We decided to eat there last night thinking that it was a good place because of the long queue every night. We ordered a steam fresh fish as recommended by the waiter. The fish came out last after all the other meat and vegetable dishes. The supposedly fresh fish tasted like salted fish with soft and mushy meat! It was obviously a thawed piece of frozen old fish! When I highlighted it to the waiter, he gave the excuse that it was a bad quality fish and suggested that we ordered another one. The fishy bits about this incident was that the waiter shouted our order for an extra big fish but a fairly small fish was actually served contrary to the order. That is possibly the code to cheat the unwary. It seems like a regular practice to pass off frozen seafood for the fresh ones to the unwary visitors. So beware fellow travelers!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very good local seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

If you want to have good local seafood, go to this restaurant. It's always busy people are lining up, mostly local people and sometimes a foreigner.
All kind of local, luckily I had a Hongkong colleague with me, who ordered all kind of specialities.
Great food in a nice atmosphere, come early or make a reservation.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Europe
“very Hong Kong ambience, very plesant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

we were having an endless walk in this very local very alive area of H K called Kowloon and basically by chance we stepped into this very nice restaurant. Seafood Chinese dishes are the main focus and it is really delicious. They catch alive fishes from their water tanks and they prepare your dish right away!

Tokyo, Japan
“Not a place to visit alone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

When I arrived (19:30 Thursday night) there were about 3 groups waiting.
Since I was alone, I was guided to the top floor and took a seat in the corner.
By the time I left, 20:30 there was a huge line.
Customers at the time were all Chinese people.
They had English menu and a copy of Japanese/Cantonese dictionary for seafood with picture.
Still I had no clue what the food is like.
If you are not with a Cantonese speaking friend, better to take a copy of the pictures on this website and order the same. It's nearly impossible to hold a conversation with the waiter. Doesn't mean there was a problem with hospitality, some were friendly. :)
I had clams fried with XO sauce and 6 pieces of steamed prawns with a bottle of beer.
The clams were good but the prawns were too stinky as they were not steamed for a long time and I think they were not seasoned at all. Guts were not taken out, since they were raw, it was hard to remove it. I could not eat a single piece...
Cost turned out to be 238 HKD whereas I was assuming it will be somewhere around 150 HKD at most. It seems like I misunderstood what was written on the menu.
Looking at how the restaurant was, I think I just had to order a foreigner friendly meal with the help of internet. If there is next time I will bring my smartphone for sure.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

First time and day in HK and we eat here, what a start!
We had to wait in line but the locals around us told us what a good choice we made. They should us pictures on their smartphones of the food they had last time and we just ordered that.
You have to eat the fried lobsters!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere