“Modern Luxury Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Upper House

You added The Upper House to your Saves list
The Upper House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Hong Kong, China (Admiralty)   |
Special Offer
Summer in the City
Ranked #1 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“Modern Luxury Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

The Upper House is truly the first modern luxury hotel ever existed in Hong Kong. From the moment I arrive at the hotel to my depature, every minute of my experience was pampered by their understated excellence and personalized service.

My room was larger than any other hotels that I have ever stayed in Hong Kong, a zen like bathroom equipped with rainshower and soaking tub, a complimentary mini-bar with all kinds of treats and a bed that melts you away to sleep.

I have noticed the previous reviewer made a comment about the hotel discriminating towards the asian community. And the truth is, I am a proud asian and felt that I was being treated like a VIP guest. Their attention to details and their courteous attitude really made me feel at home.

And I definitely need to recommend their scrumptious floating dessert and Hong Kong Highball (cocktail long drink) at Cafe Gray Deluxe, it's to die for!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I was a guest at the hotel on March 12-22, 2010. Overall, my stay was very pleasant and I enjoyed the service provided by almost all of the staff. However, the hotel has “Guest Experience Managers” who do the job of doorman and bellhop. They also escort you to your room where they check you in. On several occasions, while waiting to be picked up by a friend, I observed a particular Guest Experience Manager (he is Caucasian) who was posted at the main entrance. Without exception, he only approached Caucasian patrons to offer his services (carrying luggage, calling cabs, opening car doors, etc.). Chinese people were ignored. When I complained to the manager of the hotel, he was very defensive and I didn’t get a satisfactory response. I cannot recommend this hotel to any proud Asian until they change this colonial superiority.

Pros: color scheme of room, shower/tub area is very spacious and nicely appointed
Cons: lighting in room & closet is very dim, alarm clock is tiny-cannot read from more than 2 ft away, desk is cramped

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
swirehotels, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, April 18, 2010
I am delighted that this guest enjoyed his stay at the hotel and appreciated the design and overall service.

As to the comments about discrimination, I must say that this is not the case. I know that the team (including managers) work very hard to serve all our guests and with many of them speaking Mandarin as well as Cantonese, discrimination is as unlikely as it is unacceptable.

I will leave opinions to the many other guests whom we have been delighted to serve (some of which have commented on Tripadvisor), to make their own assessment of whether we discriminate or not.

Thank you.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I stayed in the Upper House in Feb and love it so much. There are lots of good things about this hotel:

- the location was very convenience, on top of a premium shopping mall in Admiralty, close to all kind of transportation, shopping and dinning facilities
- this hotel is above the Marriott Hotel (in the same building with separate entrance) so most of the rooms had very beautiful view of the harbor
- the room was very spacious as it was converted from a service apartment, and the size of the bathroom is the same as the bedroom
- the rainforest shower head was no doubt the best one I’ve ever used
- the bath tub also had a view of the harbor and a mini TV in front of it (but it was installed inside a glass panel so it was a bit blur)
- the “maxi” bar was great with lots of snacks and drinks FREE of charge, the in-room coffee machine was very professional but very hard to use
- everything was so clean, new, tidy and comfy, the staff has put lots of attention to details
- the in-room check-in give you some kind of personal touch with a simple walk thru of the room with you
- the ipod touch to replace the in-room menu and guide book was quite fun but not really that useful, not too much info could be found
- Café Gray was the only restaurant in this hotel which was on the top floor with fabulous view and good food (but not as good as the one in New York city overlooking Central Park) at reasonable price, but very hard to make a reservation
- all the staff were very friendly and always willing to help you at all time
- the gym room was pretty basic but for a boutique hotel with just 99 rooms, it should be good enough (they converted one of the guest rooms to a gym with a very small signage on the door, so it was very hard to find)

I will definitely stay at this hotel again !!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Europe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

The Upper House achieves a balance between the amenities, service and quality of finish of a Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt or similar and the intimacy and passion of a boutique hotel, rarely seen in a big city hotel. To date, I've only stayed at The Upper House on business, but wouldn't think twice about staying here were I in Hong Kong on holiday with my wife. There are four elements that mean I will always come back to The Upper House when I'm in Hong Kong. Firstly, the quality and consistency of service delivered by Marcel and his team is a pleasure to experience, from being met at the entrance to the hotel with a friendly handshake, to the fantastic room service food and service, to the pain free 'wireless' check out. Secondly, I love the fact that the WiFi is free, the shower gel is REN, there is a well stocked (and free) fridge full of beer, water, juice and milk, and an espresso machine. As one previous reviewer noted, the hotel has been thoughtfully configured to meet the needs of travellers. Thirdly, I love the clean lines and the cleverly designed rooms; who wouldn't with the smallest room circa 70sqm and a bathtub that allows you to both watch TV and gaze over Hong Kong Harbour. Finally, for a business traveller in his early thirties, its a pleasure to finally find a hotel with a bit of style, verve and passion in its design and realisation. My congratulations to the The Upper House team for a great product.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Upper House has been the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I had chosen the Easter Package which included airport pick/drop by limousine and breakfast. As soon as I walked outside the customs check at the airport, there was a hotel representative waiting for me at the arrivals hall. She took my luggage and escorted me directly to the Mercedes waiting for me outside. She asked me about my flight and if I had been to HK before. The warmth made me feel like I was being received by someone I knew. When I got inside the car the driver gave me a cold towel and a bottle of water to make the ride more comfortable. Great touch. When I arrived at the hotel there was someone waiting for me outside and she greeted me by my name. She took me directly up to my room and explained the whole concept behind the hotel. The mini bar (including the beer not the wine) and all the snacks were free. Wifi was also complimentary. They have a great selection of amenities and other knickknacks which you’ll discover. There whole room including the curtains can be controlled by one remote. The room and bathroom were one of the most spacious I have seen with a beautiful layout; modern yet comfortable. There was a walk in closet, separated toilet, shower, and bath. The hotel is 100% smoke free. The bath and shower was like a picture from an interior design magazine. The breakfast also was the best I have ever had. It was a la carte with gourmet cuisine. The check out and drop back to the airport was with the same level of service as the pick. There was a hotel representative waiting at the airport who upon my drop even checked me in! Amazing. The location of the hotel is next to Pacific Place ( a high end mall) which has the MTR right underneath and easily gets you to wherever you need to go. There is also a great grocery store in the mall. I would without any hesitation stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I arrived here last night with mixed expectation. I've been to their sister hotel in Beijing - The Opposite House - to eat and drink and it's a fabulous venue, bordering on being a little too stylish and maybe a little cold side of cool.
The UH in HK is probably the best customer service I've had from a hotel as long as I can remember. From the minute i got out of the taxi, I was shown a seat and then quickly accompanied to my room. It was only then that the passport and credit cards were requested. A nice touch not to have to queue in a lobby. The hotel staff then gave me a little tour of the room and highlighted some of the unique features.
The room itslef is huge for the standards typical in HK, Tokyo, London or New York. It is beautifully stylish. The large bathroom with bath overlooking HK harbour is wonderful and they have very nice design touches everywhere. The iPod Touch system to get to know the hotel ammenities and to order room service works as an 'ooh' moment but when I ordered room service, I still got a phone call to confirm, so no real benefit for the customer I don't think. Where they missed a trick is to have music pre-loaded on the iPod, although they do have cables to hook up your own music if you have it with you.
The best thing about this place though is that the people who developed it are obviously seasoned travellers and understand what drives most people crazy - the additional charges. The fact that UH do not charge for internet access, do not charge for standard beers and soft drinks from the mini bar, coffee and cookies - to the extent there's even a sign inviting you to take the candy home if you want to. Thsi tells me they get it and it makes such a huge difference.
I went for a look at their top floor bar and restaurant but decided to come back to the room as the restaurant isn't really the place for lone diners - but did look great - and the bar had a function on. The fact I couldn't go to their only bar was the only disappointment I had during the stay and I think they need to rethink this policy.
When I got back to my room there was a souvenir gift of a rugby ball to celebrate the HK 7s weekend, which I thought was another nice touch.
Overall, this hotel has the slickness and quality feel of the Conrad or Grand hyatt, with the style of Jia. Together a very potent combination and this is definitely a first choice hotel for any trip to HK for me.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

The rooms are huge, the views are great and the bar is fantastic. But, most of all, the staff can't do enough to help. We had some suggestions of things to do from a friend who used to live in HK and the staff were brilliant at recommending what we should do from the list given weather conditions, the length of our stay, our energy levels etc. They then proceeded to book restaurants, unbook them when we changed our minds and were generally without fault. If you want a stylish hotel in Hong Kong, but don't like the thought of disappearing into the bowels of a Four Seasons, an Intercontinental or a Mandarin Oriental, then the Upper House is the hotel for you.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Upper House? Share your experiences!