“Design Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Upper House

You added The Upper House to your Saves list
The Upper House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Hong Kong, China (Admiralty)   |
Special Offer
Summer in the City
Ranked #1 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Design Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

This hotel is just pure design heaven. Once you walk in, you can tell that everything from the music in the lobby and the room signage has been well thought of, amazing designs. Rooms are fantastic and the amenities are great.

The level of service here is also second to none, we found the concierge desk very helpful, and used them constantly for restaurant bookings and travel arrangements.

Right next to the hotel is Pacific Place Mall which offers great high end shopping, and a superb supermarket in the basement level.

Will definitely come back here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, October 8, 2014

We are glad that you enjoyed not only the physical aspect of our ‘House,’ but that you also were able to make full use of our team's extensive insights of the area. Thank you for calling our service “second to none”.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please feel free to contact me directly for a future booking at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Not only did I recently stay at the Upper for about 15 days but a month ago I also stayed in the Opposite House in Beijing for about 3 weeks! Both are owned by the same company. Besides the hotels amazing decor and feel, not to mention the beautiful rooms, the amazing view, more importantly its the staff! The staff is just amazing and super helpful! Take take pride in CUSTOMER SERVICE! One of the best in the world! Anything you need..... They are they for you always! and if there's something they don't have that you need be sure they will do their utmost best to get is for you. As I have mentioned I have stay in both properties for quite some time, and my over all feeling goes much deeper than just amazing customer service. Its like having a second loving and caring family!
p.s. note to mgr. please do not write any generic response! Thanx!

Wally Green

Room Tip: Because the hotel starts on the 38th floor every room is a great room!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear Wally

Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House on tripadvisor.com with like-minded travellers. I did read your review also about our sister hotel, The Opposite House in Beijing.

Thanks for calling us "one of the best in the world". We truly appreciate all your kind words and rest assured, I will share all the positive comments with the team in Hong Kong as well as with my colleagues in Beijing.

We hope to welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I live in Hong Kong, after we married , I and my husband has a Pre-Honey Moon stay in the Upper suite at 10th August 2014.

Obviously, this is the best hotel I have ever been, even compare to all the famous hotels around the world I have been,

The full habour view is so breathe-taken, The sweet service with hand-written card and the warm gifts, the luxury furniture and fantastic food impressed us a lot.

Everyone, you should try the bathrobes, they are so soft and comfortable! I am regret that I didn't get one.

Overall, the UPPER HOUSE people concern their customers a lot and you can feel it during all the time.

Room Tip: Higher floor with full habour view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

We are glad that you chose to stay with us as part of your special pre-honeymoon celebrations and thank you for calling us “the best hotel” that you have tried.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. TPlease feel free to contact me directly for a future booking at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I've just stayed in this outstanding establishment for three nights, and feel compelled by its excellence to post a review. Not something I normally do.
Though not a very frequent traveller, I have stayed in some five star places - this one pips the lot. Not that it's so very grand. It is beautifully designed and finished, but not over endowed with marble and gilt. This hotel carries itself like a very beautiful woman who doesn't know she is - poised and unselfconscious, natural at the same time.
On arrival, reception is easy, quick, without fuss, and involves an orientation to the room so you quickly know where everything is and how everything works.
The room, an Island view Studio 80 in my case, was unbelievably spacious and well laid out, with a very thoughtful dressing area, a separate toilet area, and a freestanding bath that you can watch the second TV from. My view from the 45th floor was stunning.
The hotel has a charming outside lawned area with umbrellas and bean bags which is open day and night, and an excellent restaurant on the top floor which serves meals all day (don't rock up for dinner without a booking) and an adjacent lounge and bar, fantastic views of the harbour.
The hotel does lack a pool and the traditional lobby level lounge, but these are actually available at the larger hotels adjacent. The comfort of the rooms is outstanding, but the dedication and good will of the staff make you feel really looked after in a 'nothing's too much for us' kind of way. I certainly was made to feel special and cared for. Everyone gets to feel that way. That's the special secret of this hotel. I'll be coming back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us and other like-minded travelers on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to hear that you a enjoyed the spaciousness and “comfort” of our rooms. We are glad that you were able to also enjoy meeting our entire team and felt “really looked after” by them.

Do stay in touch and don’t hesitate to contact me anytime if I may assist with any future reservation here at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel as a surprise gift from my wife. The room is great, good view and high quality facilities. The service is excellent and they are really trying their best:-
The room was upgraded to upper suite knowing we just go married and staying here was a gift from my wife. A cake was sent to room after knowing my birthday was few days ago. The staff came in again later to give us more greeting gifts. I used room service for both dinner and breakfast, and both meals tastes great.
Special thanks to the rose oil bath and the super soft robe, we had a great night sleep after exhausted from the wedding ceremony just one day ago.
This is the most expensive hotel we've ever stayed (and I lived in Hong Kong), yet I will say it's the most worthy one. We are seriously considering staying here as our future wedding anniversary tradition.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

We are glad to have had you with us for your honeymoon and birthday celebrations and delighted to that you were able to enjoy the room and our services to the full. We are happy to hear that you are considering making Our House part of your future traditions!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me for your upcoming reservations at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Stayed with girlfriend at the harbour view studio 80 for 5 days.

The Hotel itself is located at Central/Admiralty and is directly above/connected the MTR and a very well known shopping mall. the location is EXTREMELY convenient, it took about under one minute for us to reach the MTR level from our room.

The rooms/suites are all situated between the 38(or 39?)-49th floor of the building. The hotel design and lighting outside the room was modern and subdued. The whole hotel seemed very quiet, both inside and outside our room.

We stayed at the harbour view studio 80, and we had the view of the city, the hills and the harbour, the view was simply amazing, the glasses were huge and was always clean no matter the weather, the glass is also reflective from the outside, so people from the other buildings won't be able to see you unless it's at night and you had really bright lights on and they somehow had superhuman vision. The layout and design of the the room had a minimalistic modern japanese feel to it. all the furniture was wood and all the doors were sliding. the bathroom was huge and we were told were the same size as the main room, the shower was huge and is more than enough room for two, it had a rainshower as well as a detachable sprayer(both can be used at same time). the bathtub was the center of the bathroom and had a gorgeous view of the city as well as a imbedded tv. There was also a separate AC for the bathroom, which was really convenient and thoughtful. There was a big makeup area, and a big closet that had complementary plastic and linen? storage bags for shopping. the bathroom products were provided by REN and was always replenished very quickly. There was free wifi in the hotel that was extremely fast and reliable. The only small caveats I have with the room was that the AC was always set at 21 degrees after housekeeping which can get kind of cold, however I'm sure this would have been changed if I had requested.

The service provided by the hotel was unlike anything I've experienced before. Every staff spoke fluent mandarin and english, so communication was never a problem. Checking in was a breeze and we were given a tour of our room by a member of the hotel staff (Although the lobby area was a bit small and can feel crowded if at a busy time). In our reservation we mentioned to the hotel that it was our anniversary and to our surprise, the hotel gifted us with card with a personal message and gifts when we had returned to our hotel room. It was a wonderful gesture and we sincerely thank the Upper House staff and specifically Edward for it. Housekeeping was made extremely simple as you had a button beside your bed/door just for that. Every time we returned to our room, no matter how short the absence was, our room was not only cleaned and changed, but our clothes, bags, and even the cable cords were organized neatly by the housekeeping staff. they even found an earring that had been lost by my girlfriend.

The breakfast provided by the hotel was located at the Cafe Gray restaurant on the 49th floor. The views from the restaurant was amazing as you had a full view of the harbour and the buildings surrounding the upper house. The breakfast menu had asian as well as western options. the service was great and the food was always fantastic and presented very well.
(I also visited Cafe Gray for dinner but I'll put the review for that on the Cafe Gray page.)

The hotel had a lounge area located on the same floor as the dining area. We visited here after breakfast and met a Kylie, a member of the staff, she introduced as to the must visit areas of hong kong, she also took a picture for us and had it printed and decorated onto a glass frame and delivered it to our room that afternoon. I want to thank Kylie and the Upper House for this extremely thoughtful gesture. The hotel also had a lawn/outdoor lounge type of area just above the lobby area. It was a nice place to relax and chat. there were lounge chairs and huge beanbags. I don't think it ever closed as we were here at around 3 a.m once.

Honestly this hotel exceeded all my expectations, the design of the hotel and its rooms as well as the personal attention to detail to its guests make it the best hotel I've ever stayed at. I want to personally thank Hayley, Edward, and Kylie as well the entire Upper House staff for making our stay wonderful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us and other like-minded travelers on TripAdvisor.

Your thoughtful and thorough review paints a great picture of what it is like to stay at The Upper House. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to make your anniversary celebration even more special. We pride ourselves on coming up with creative ways to better each guests’ stay. Please rest assured that I have passed on your positive comments to the rest of the team, including Hayley, Edward, and Kylie.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me to assist with any a future booking at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 5 days. If you don't mind that there's no pool (but access to neighbouring 5 star pool can be arranged) and no buffet breakfast (breakfast is excellent), this place is superb!!! The central location, views, rooms, service. They have thought of everything to cater for your comfort without being intrusive and whilst remaning understated. Really worth the money.

• Stayed August 2014
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at The Upper House on tripadvisor.com with like-minded travellers.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and were comfortable at “Our House”. We truly appreciate that you called it “superb”.

We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Hong Kong

Been to The Upper House? Share your experiences!