“Superb” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Upper House

Save Saved
You added The Upper House to your Saves list
The Upper House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Hong Kong, China (Admiralty)   |
Ranked #1 of 643 hotels in Hong Kong
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Beautiful, spacious rooms with great views and an amazing bathtub. From the efficient in-room iPad based check-in procedure and impeccable service, to the wonderful dining experience and super-comfy bed, we thoroughly enjoyed or 2 night stay at The Upper House.

The other reviews say it all, and it's all true. I was at first disappointed to see the Four Seasons slip from #1 position on Tripadvisor as it's an incredible hotel, but it's given way to a formidable opponent and while your hotel is more 'urban boutique', you deserve your ranking and we will surely return.

PS. Consider upgrading your bath amenities just a notch. What you have is good, what belongs in the room should match the minibar / coffee-bar and be great.

Room Tip: Always book a suite. Always, no matter where you stay, always book a suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Upper House with the tripadvisor community.

We are much honored that you perceived you recent experience with us as “superb”. It is wonderful to hear that you also follow the ranking of HK hotels on tripadvisor.com

We do try to offer a slightly different luxury experience than other more traditional five star hotels; I am glad to hear you like the way we do business.

Thanks for your comments in regards to our bathroom amenities. We have used REN since the opening and whilst we have received much positive feedback from guests, we understand that the use of bathroom products is very personal.
Please feel free to send me an email at: marcelthoma@swirehotels.com before your next upcoming visit and we will gladly provide you with a brand of your choice.

Safe travels and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon again.

840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

The Upper House stands head and shoulders above any other urban hotel experience. The sublime attention to detail, even prior to our arrival, is a testament to the character of this place.

The staff are always looking for ways to exceed your already heightened expectations, but in a manner more akin to a guest of the family.

The surroundings are sleek, yet warm and inviting. A number of opportunities are available to slip into an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong, with a quiet sense of serenity that belies its location.

The service is at another level. Staff are always welcoming, smiling and genuinely seem to want to please. Nothing is too difficult - whether organising a table at Felix at the last moment or assisting my partner locate hard to find shopping items.

I fear that this review could extend for pages, but I'll save the experience for when you book! Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Upper House in detail with the tripadvisor community.

We are much honored to receive your positive feedback; thanks for calling your experience at The Upper House “sublime”. I particularly liked reading your second paragraph; it is the essence of what we try to achieve every single day with our team.

How about you come back soon again and continue writing more about your stay?

I enjoyed reading your note and so surely did other like-minded travellers.

Don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I may assist with any future travel plans to any of our Swire Hotels.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We visited Hong Kong for 3 days vacation. All we did was shopping and eating as well as enjoying the spacious views of Victoria Harbour straight from 45th floor of the Upper House. This hotel was simply amazing, even though it was a boutique hotel, which was more suitable for couples.

By the time we got there straight from the airport by the hotel's exclusive limousine, we were fascinated by the design of the entrance to this hotel. I'm sure the fire shows how unique the hotel was. The staffs were extremely kind and had an acceptable service-mind. Furthermore, all of their working tools are iPads and iMac, which was pretty unique and modern from my perspective.

Since there are 6 members in my family, I decided to book two Upper Suites and I have to tell you that it wasn't disappointing at all. The room's design was gorgeous as well as three huge windows that allows us to experience the spectacular view of either Victoria Harbor or the mountain. The bed itself was quite gigantic, which fits about three people to sleep in. One of the best features of this hotel is the bathroom in the Upper Suites. During the day or even night, you can enjoy the views while you're bathing.

Moving on to the breakfast. Unfortunately I didn't have all 3 meals in this hotel, however their exotic breakfast at Cafe Gray had the best egg benedict in the town. Apart from ordinary egg breakfast, there are other traditional Chinese breakfast, which can be ordered by both A la carte and set menu too. For the drinks, I recommended Cafe Gray tea because it is their own blend with aromatic rosella and lemongrass.

Lastly I really enjoyed this wonderful experience in the Upper House and would love to come back again next year. Thank you the Upper House staffs and managers for taking care of us !

Room Tip: I recommend to choose higher floors because the views will get better.
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, April 19, 2013

We are much honored to receive your positive feedback about your first stay with us.
I have shared your specific mention of service at both the hotel and Café Gray Deluxe with the respective teams.

We would love to have you back again next year. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I may assist with any future arrangement.

Safe travels!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We visited upper house for afternoon tea with family. Absolutely fantastic food, location, views - only thing that spoiled it for us was a noisy family with young kids screaming! Other than that 5* I would definitely recommend this as a top location in Hong Kong. It is easy to get to and next door to the Four Seasons hotel

Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Café Gray with the tripadvisor community.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at “our house”.

It would be our pleasure to show you also our rooms on your next visit to Café Gray Deluxe.

We have taken note of your comments about fellow guests in our restaurant and would like to apologize again for any inconveniences caused. The fact that it was not addressed during your time at the restaurant will certainly be reviewed again with the team.

Do let me know if I may assist with any future arrangements at any Swire Hotel.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The 80mr suite is excellent. Amneties in the bathroom are incredible, natural cosmetics and everything you can think of. Splendid view of all the harbour. Friendly and efficient staff. Location is centrally located for the business traveler. We shall definitely return here.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on tripavisor.com

It is wonderful to hear that you appreciate the views, the service and all amenities at “our house”

Safe travels and do let me know if I may assist with any future arrangements at any Swire Hotel.

New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Most amazing place. Bathrooms are gorgeous. Service is perfect. Location great. Nothing to add. Will stay there anytime again. The bar offers great views.
Very quiet and peaceful too in such busy city.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Francois

Thank you for your review on tripavisor.com

We are pleased to hear that you like the service, location and the views at “our house”.

Don’t stay away for too long and thanks for all of your support again.

Regards,

Sincerely

Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Could it be the most gracious and accommodating Ling in Reservations who answered all of my emails with a promptness and friendliness that began our wonderful experience in The Upper House.

Or the lovely Shirley who organised our airport transfer and booking at Cafe Grey and gave us the best table in the house for dinner and the oh so scrumptious breakfast.
Maybe it was the friendly smiling faces that welcomed us into the doors of a sanctuary that was to be our home for one night.
Not only were our kids amazed at the beauty and sense of peace and calm entering The Upper House but from the gentle flames at the doorway to the flow of the colors and decor as we walked to our room my husband and I were elated.

Then we were told we had been upgraded to a Suite and as we entered the room there was a chorus of ohhs and ahhs and wows. Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous!

Exceptionally beautiful, exceptionally clean (my compliments to Guinnie and her team at Housekeeping), exceptionally spacious, a feast for the eyes and senses! The view of Victoria Harbour was to die for!

Thank you Carmen for making sure we had extra pillows, kids sized robes and slippers...you made our kids feels like a little king and princesses!

Now for all of the goodies within the room, oh what can I say, there were smiles all round! Gorgeous Travel Cosmetic Bags filled with REN goodies for me (love, love, love), REN rose otto bath oil that gave me the most peaceful bathing experience a tired Mum of three could ever wish for. The softest white bathrobes I have ever had the pleasure to use. Maxi Bar for Dad and the kids, there were giggles of happiness at the free M&Ms and beer. Birthday presents of a beautiful leather gift bag that I carried proudly for the rest of our trip and a gorgeous candle that sits proudly in my bedroom and a scrumptious chocolate birthday cake.

Ohhh goodness The Upper House has spoilt me for every other hotel I will ever stay at. It was a true privilege to be able to stay at The Upper House with my husband and three kids for my birthday gift on 4th April. I will forever remember how special The Upper House made my family feel. I wish we could afford to stay here more often when in Hong Kong but with 2 adults and 3 kids and 2 rooms needed the cost makes it difficult. But if you can experience The Upper House even once in your life YOU MUST DO SO!!!!!! They have set a new benchmark in the hotel industry for exceptional levels of customer service and they manage to make it look effortless!!!
The Upper House in every aspect is truly a special place. Well done Marcel on creating and maintaining a team of gracious, generous and thoughtful people who are obviously happy to be there and that translates to very, very happy customers. Thank you to Marcel and his wonderful team for making my birthday one to remember.

The Boltong Family thanks you for an experience of a lifetime.

Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Many thanks for your recent lovely review on tripadvisor.com

Wow, what a detailed review; many thanks for sharing all your positive thoughts with the rest of the tripadvisor.com audience. Many thanks also for mentioning some of our team members by name so I may personally thank them for their hard work.

I am furthermore very delighted to know that your birthday was a success. Please let me know if you are thinking of returning next year again. I shall personally be looking after your reservation.

Stay in touch and please do let me know if I may ever assist with anything in the future.

Regards,

Sincerely

The Upper House

Been to The Upper House? Share your experiences!