“Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Upper House

You added The Upper House to your Saves list
The Upper House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Hong Kong, China (Admiralty)   |
Special Offer
Summer in the City
Ranked #1 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
West Vancouver, Canada
“Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 2 days at The Upper House in Hong Kong. The service and attention was the best.The food was exceptional. Special thanks to Kate,Kanda and Z you made our stay very special. I am recommending the hotel to people that want a special place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Richard

Many thanks for your review on tripadvisor.com

We are indeed very blessed to work with such an incredibly passionate team. I have shared your review with my colleagues Kate, Kanda and Zelotes.

I am pleased to know that you had a memorable stay and please let us know when you are back to “our house” next.

Have great travel adventures ahead.

The Upper House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at the Upper House for 8 nights and it was amazing. So many of the staff members we encountered were helpful but when my husband had a medical issue, Vinchi, one of the concierges, really went above and beyond. He worked the phones and found doctors/made appointments, and generally kept me from being a total nervous wreck. He also got us reservations at some fabulous restaurants and even sent up warm milk every night after I'd off-handedly mentioned that I have trouble sleeping.

The room was beautiful, quiet, and spacious. (Best bathroom ever.) The maxi bar is great, it's nice not to feel nickel and dimed. We like to explore on foot so we walked through the nearby park every day, but it was great to have the Admiralty station right there. We loved the lack of a lobby downstairs -- we walked from the MRT through the Marriott lobby every day and it was so gaudy and busy. Crossing the threshold into the Upper House was instantly calming.

We ate breakfast every day in the restaurant and the food was wonderful, as was the view, but one of the few hiccups in our stay was that the waitstaff was only pleasant when my husband was there. On the days he had to rush to work and I was still eating, it was like I became invisible as soon as he left. No more water/coffee refills even if I was clearly still mid-meal and the restaurant wasn't busy. Pretty minor overall but we did cancel our dinner reservation at Cafe Gray Deluxe, just on principle. And we ended up happily eating doner kebabs from a stand in an alley in Kowloon that night instead, so it's not like we're snobs with unattainably high standards, LOL.

TL;DR -- Awesome hotel. Might eat elsewhere though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Many thanks for your lovely and very personal review on tripadvisor.com

Vinchi is indeed an amazing colleague and you surely know he has been part of our team since we opened “our house” in fall 2009.

We are much honored to hear all your positive feedback; it almost reads like a good personal travel diary!

I do apologize for the sub-par experience in Café Gray Deluxe. I would very much like to understand more about your perception of service during breakfast; please do email me on marcelthoma@swirehotels.com and allow me to contact you back personally to discuss.

I am very much looking forward to hearing from you again.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

In the interest of full disclosure I know the GM,hosted a pre opening/beta testing party and was a guinea pig guest.I watched it's conversion from dull serviced apartments,my wife lost a diamond and was helped at 3am by hotel staff in it's retrieval and I use the bar and restaurant regularly.What is singular about UH are the views-both front and rear.On the one side,Victoria Harbour in full and on the other,the green/urban jungle of the peak/mid levels.High enough for perspective on the city but not so high that you're removed from it (Ritz Carlton).Rooms are spacious and bathrooms maybe the best in HK for style and,again ,views.The scale is more intimate than other hotels in the vicinity with service to match.Many HK "boutique hotels" are just small hotels in matchstick buildings with pokey rooms.This feels like a comfortable home,but home with a spacious bar/restaurant area where locals meet and where the spectacular view is a nice fresco and not the focus of all atttention.That is reserved for the careful selection of wines,and fr diners,the sensible menu of Cafe Grey.A pool would be nice.Unlike many HK hotels it is not dominated either businessmen or mainland tourists which can detract from the atmosphere.The absence of a lobby helps.While Pacific Place itself remains a bit insular,the minor inconvenience is worth it ,and especially as Wanchai continues to raise it's game.

Room Tip: personal preference is for rooms facing the peak-the bathroom views are spectacular.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Many thanks for your detailed review on tripadvisor.com

We much appreciate your review even after so many visits to “our house”. The loyalty and goodwill of our locally based followers is fabulous and we are very grateful for it.

We are indeed aware of our hotel being a “niche product” and like the way you highlighted our “uniqueness” in your review. It will especially give a traveller who is used to the more traditional five star hotels a clearer picture of who we are – and yes, the constant evolvement and improvement of Wanchai district with its many new exciting restaurants and shops is surely also good for us and our guests.

We are looking forward to see you soon again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a quick 2 night stay at the Upper House. We enjoyed our time there and all the pampering that went with it. After spending time in the hustle and bustle of a day in Hong Kong, it is nice to come back to such a quiet and serene spot. The rooms were lovely and quiet and we had the most spectacular view of Victoria Harbor! It was a shame you had to pull the drapes at night.

So many pluses. Quick and efficient pick up at the airport. Personalized check-in done in your room upon arrival. The staff was helpful in attending to your wishes and requests in an extremely timely manner. I ordered room service one morning and was told 30 minutes. It was actually delivered in about 15...when does that ever happen? I mentioned at that time that our TV remote didn't seem to be working. The man who delivered the room service phoned someone and within 2 minutes someone was there to check and see what was wrong. The batteries just needed replacing, so the gentleman said he would return with replacements. Once again he returned in under 2 minutes and replaced the batteries. No lengthy waiting around for a serviceman. Just in case I forget to mention it, and I won't, the view from the cafe at the top of the hotel was breathtaking!

There were just a couple of hiccups. When we checked in our first night, we arranged to have a driver the next morning for about 3 hours to take us around the city and show us a few highlights. The next morning, when we went down to the desk, they didn't seem to find a record of our request, but in under 10 minutes, we were in a car and on our way. We got an apology about the mixup that night when we returned to the hotel. Another little gripe would be with room service. For a 5 star hotel, the menu was extremely limited and I would emphasize the word extremely. Not that we came to Hong Kong to spend time eating in our room, but a better room service menu is needed.

Did I mention the view from the top of the hotel???? Wow!!!! A perfect place to end the day with a glass of wine overlooking the night skyline. Just fabulous!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We appreciate that you took the time to write your detailed review on tripadvisor.com

It is great to hear that the service and the views at “our house” left a lasting impression with you. Rest assured that all your feedback has been shared with the entire team.

We are most certainly proud of the fact that we work with so many dedicated team members who deliver service in a speedy and passionate way.

We are looking forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again. Stay in touch and contact me personally in case I may assist with anything.

Global
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful understated elegance. Running out of ways to praise this place. I'm tempted to write a bad review just because I'm afraid it will be fully booked next time! It is just impossible to have anything but a great experience here.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Many thanks for your continued patronage; and thank you for your recent feedback on tripadvisor.com

We are so humbly honored that you keep writing about your stays and that you feel you “ran out of praises”.

Please don’t worry about non availability of rooms, do contact me personally in case I may assist with any reservations.

Stay in touch and hopefully until soon again.

suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were lucky enough to stay at this hotel February 10th-13th 2013. Our room was amazing we had a harbour view from our bathroom and bedroom. The hotel staff went out of the way to make us feel welcome. In actual fact when we asked for help one night they were at the door almost before we put down the phone! The room facilities are some of the best we've ever experienced with free minibar, free snacks, free wifi. Two flat screen TV's one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. We had dinner in cafe gray, the hotel restaurant and the service and food was first class and with an outstanding view and the same service and quality continued at breakfast. The hotel is situated within a stones throw of a mall and also for the subway which was incredibly easy to orientate yourselves around and to travel to other parts of Hong Kong. This would be a must stay if we were back in Hong Kong again.

Room Tip: A harbour view is well worth the premium
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback on tripadvisor.com and for calling us “one of the best hotels in the world”.

We are much honored to hear that you not only like the physical aspect of “our house” but also rate our service highly. I am happy to know that your stay in Hong Kong was a pleasant one and hope you will be able to return soon again.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Service at The Upper House is exemplary, even by Hong Kong standards, the rooms are big (70 sq metres or 750+ sq feet), very well appointed and kept. Each of the best hotels in the world is incomparable in its own way and The Upper House excels in making guests feel welcome, cosseted and delightfully comfortable.

Sadly, it was just a matter of time before the rest of the world found out about The Upper House. We have been staying there since it first opened but now the hotel has become so popular it has moved out of our price range (for lengthy stays) as prices reflect demand.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor: the view gets better the higher you go.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback on tripadvisor.com and your continued loyalty!

We appreciate your lovely comments in regards to how the team tries to make the guests feel “delightfully comfortable and welcome”.

Referring to your comments in regards to rates…the Hong Kong hotel market is indeed a very unique one and prices really reflect the general demand for Hong Kong as popular destination

Do stay in touch and let me know if I may ever assist you with anything here at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotel. I am happy to personally quote you rates and I am confident we can find a rate for future stays which will fit a certain budget.

The Upper House

Been to The Upper House? Share your experiences!