“An oasis in a gallery” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Upper House

Save Saved
You added The Upper House to your Saves list
The Upper House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Hong Kong, China (Admiralty)   |
Special Offer
FIVE Reasons To Stay
Ranked #1 of 645 hotels in Hong Kong
Sydney, Australia
“An oasis in a gallery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Fantastic hotel in HK love the open bar the huge rooms the art and the food it was all top notch and relatively great value.
Had a mini party of 9 people in the room and it didnt feel full with outrageous views of the harbour.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your tripadivsor review.

We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you perceive the hotel to be of good value.

Please do let me know if I may assist with anything in the future. I would be delighted to personally look after your upcoming reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotel.

847 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Laguna Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is seriously my favorite hotel I have ever stayed in. The location is great. The views are better. The bathrooms blow me away. They give large (100mL) bottles of REN products with an airplane-friendly take-home bag. The maxi bar really is never ending. I love the paperless aspect of check-in & check-out. Yes, it is more expensive than a lot of other hotels in Hong Kong, but I still think it is a superb value compared to what you get at similarly priced hotels in the area. I will definitely book here my next trip to Hong Kong.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dean_Winter, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
A very big "Thank You" for your kind review.

The team join me in our delight at receiving such generous applause and we very much look forward to your return.

We are proud of our Tripadvisor ranking and it's because of the kindness from guests such as yourself, that we have been able to sustain this throught 2012.

Thank you again and do let me know when I can assist in planning your return to Hong Kong.

Very sincerely,

Dean Winter
dean@upperhouse.com
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a gorgeous hotel. The rooms are simply spectacular in design, amenities and view. The staff pay attention to all the details - the in room coffee and snacks, cleanliness, etc. The location is an excellent within easy reach of central hong kong, the park, the ferry, etc. It is a welcome respite form a busy day. I travel extensively and rank this hotel as one of the best i have stayed in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your tripadivsor review.

We are much honored to hear that you perceive us to be one of the best hotels you stayed in during your travels.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at The Upper House in September 2011. The hotel is a small boutique hotel that shares the same building with the JW Marriot on Pacific Place. The hotel occupies the top 10 or so floors of that building, and has incredible views of Victoria Harbour and Kowloon Island.

The rooms are utterly fantastic, with floor to ceiling vistas of victoria harbour in both the room AND the bathroom! the location is on the most elegant place in Hong Kong, and both wifi and minibar are free.

But none of these things are what makes the hotel special. What does make this place likw no other is service that puts any other hotel's to shame. Nothing compared to this, not the Four Seasons, not the Mandarin Oriental, not the Park Hyatt. Their staff will take personal interest in what you do, what you want, and what you like, they will make suggestions to places you can enjoy, and then they will make it happen. Example: I asked on of their staff about the light show and told them that I wanted to take some photos from Kowloon Island. They recommended that I leave the hotel before 7:30 and take the ferry. I was at the lobby at 7:35 and people were queuing for taxis as it w Friday night. Without having to say a word, the hotel staff recognizes my problem, and they signal to one of the hotel drivers, and direct me his way to take me to the ferry station with the hotel car! At the ferry station the driver is concerned that I might be late if I have to go buy a ticket, so he loans me his transportation card, all without having to ask! That is just one example of their uniquely supreme level of service. As far as I am concerned The Upper House the only place to stay in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Choose the harbor view rooms, they're worth the extra money
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Many thanks for having taken the time to write such a detailed review.
We appreciate also that you call us “one of the world’s best”.

We are very happy to hear that you like our service philosophy and the way we do business. We like to deliver a “home feel” environment. We are very fortunate to have team members who take pride to host our guests with a passionate service approach.

Thank you for recommending “our house” to your friends and the tripadvisor community.

The Upper Hous
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Upper House enjoys an unparallelled reputation among seasoned high-end Asian travellers, and even among snobbish circles in ultra status-conscious Hong Kong society. And much of that reputation is well-founded, as far as the appointments in the room are concerned. Great comfort and style, with a bathroom that many dream off possessing. There are many attention to details, including in electronical gadgets and the free drinks in the fridge.
There are some drawback, however, which are a pity since in so many other ways, the hotel is clearly at the top of the market in Hong Kong. Those drawbacks are principally the following:a tiny, dim arrival hall with a miniscule counter which doubles as the reception and the concierge desk, an upper "lounge" or waiting area that is barely bigger, with seats for at most 6 people packed together. This hardly befits a hotel which has among the highest rates in the territory. All its competitors have spacious public sitting areas, mostly grand and imposing. Not the Upper House. There is also no swimming pool. What puzzles me, however, is how come a hotel which boasts only a single restaurant can possess a luxury five-star rating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dean_Winter, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Upper House after your recent stay. I was delighted to learn that you liked the little touches, the attention to the details and comfort levels.

I note from your profile that you have also reviewed the more traditional style of hotels in the City and perhaps we have not met your expectations with regards to the concept of The Upper House. We have a deliberately residential style, with the intimate lobby areas and intentional lack of grandeur and opulence that is prevalent elsewhere. As there are many wonderful restaurants in Pacific Place, we have arranged for our hotel guests to sign their bills in the outlets to their rooms, which actually gives more choice than any other hotel could offer.

In short, The Upper House is as much about service than it is about product and I am pleased that in this regard, we did not disappoint you.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dean Winter
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and stayed in here in early October and couldn't be more pleased with the hotel, location and staff. The staff, and especially Kanda, made our experience here especially rememberable.

We try to stay at boutique hotels when ever we travel (especially overseas) so can honestly say that this hotel is something special. The room, location and staff are outstanding.

Our driver was waiting for us with a warm welcome and drove us in a beautiful Mercedes to the hotel. We were understandably exhausted after the 13 hour flight so were pleasantly surprised by the quick seamless check-in. it was almost as though we were visiting old friends that ushered us right to our rooms with absolutely no waiting.

Our "upper suite" had a spectacular view of the verdant mountains which was refreshing in the morning and after a long day of exploring the bustling metropolis. It was elegantly appointed yet warm and cozy; not something easily accomplished in a hotel. Interestingly the pillows are remarkable; in fact I understand that many people like them so much that they buy them! The bed also was especially comfortable with a big cushy comforter.

The location is superb, close to the MTR and a bus that took us straight to Ocean Park and we were only a short walk away from the tram for "The Peak". The only time we needed to take a taxi was for dinner.

Probably the most outstanding aspect of this hotel is the service. We never had to look for someone to help us or answer out questions. Kanda especially took care of our every need and in fact sought us out to make sure our stay was memorable and she even gave us free tickets to the asian art exhibit that was running during our stay, a very nice touch. We wanted to adopt her! What a doll.

On short notice, only a week before we arrived, we had requested reservations for two exclusive restaurants that I had researched. I didn't think they could pull it off but they did!

We wholeheartedly recommend this hotel and will be sure to stay here on our next visit.
You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room is a great room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jill

Many thanks for having taken the time to write such a detailed review.
Your positive comments are very much appreciated and have been shared with the entire team.

In our business, service is always the most challenging aspect and I am glad to know that you were impressed with our levels of it. We do try to create a “home feel environment” and thanks to such exemplary team members like Kanda, we are able to provide it.

Please do let me know if I may assist with anything in the future.

Exciting travel and we do hope to see you soon again.

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in - and the best city hotel so far. Excellent service, spacious and very stylish rooms (with a huge bathroom) and breathtaking views over Hong Kong. I simply love this place. And a nice gizmo is the iPod touch instead of the usual thick leather Hotel Directory.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review. As a regular guest of our hotel, we appreciate that you took the time to write this review highlighting what you like the most about us.

Thanks for calling us “the best” and we strive to ensure that all of our guests feel at home.

Please do let me know when you return. I would be delighted to personally look after your requests.

Exciting travels!

The Upper House

Been to The Upper House? Share your experiences!