“Good hotel but no view of harbour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees

Save Saved
You added Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees to your Saves list
Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.199 Kowloon City Road, Tokwawan, Kowloon | Kowloon,, Hong Kong, China (Kowloon City)   |
Ranked #171 of 651 hotels in Hong Kong
“Good hotel but no view of harbour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Staff friendly. Very clean only rooms are bit small and bathrooms are tiny. But lively easy to access mtr station. Pool was closed and kids were disappointed. But we had a great experience. Concierge were very helpful and front disk. Elevators very fast and very smart too!

• Stayed March 2013

428 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, lovely pool side area on decking (nice for evening drink). Great breakfast but very expensive evening option. We found chef.com noodle bar in adjacent street which was great value. Too far to walk to main shops in Kowloon but shuttle bus on offer. Shower very good, clean room and large queen size bed. Overall good for a 1 night stop.

• Stayed March 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for 4 nights, the hotel itself is quite pleasant, but if your a going to Hong Kong to see the sights, then this isn't the place to stay. This part of Kowloon City isn't a great location for tourists, some distance from the main attractions and there is no metro station nearby.

The breakfasts are good, but quite expensive and the rooms are clean, if a little on the small side.

Be careful if you sign-up for the wifi package, you can ONLY use one device, if you use a second device, there will be a further charge.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The biggest problem with the hotel is the location. It is a fair way out of Kowloon in an area that seems to be popular with motor mechanics. The view from our room was of a Tyre workshop - quite amusing watching watching them change tyres on the road. You need to go into town to find any decent restaurants - not too bad as taxis are very cheap.

The hotel is OK. The rooms are fairly small, but this is Hong Kong. Not impressed with the plastic cups and glasses and this is the first hotel where I have been asked to pay a room deposit before getting the key (Hong Kong $1000)

We had a problem with the extractor fan in the bathroom which would not turn off. We were promised it would be dealt with immediately as it was noisy at night - we stayed two days and it still had not been sorted.

I would only stay if the price was spectacularly low - but even then it would probably be worth spending a little more and getting a better place to stay

Room Tip: want a good room? Try a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The staff there are very friendly and helpful and the check in process was quick. Amenities in our room was fine except, when we first entered in our room there was a very bad odour. We thought it was just stuffy and the windows had not been opened for awhile. We asked for air spray which the hotel kindly sent a housemaid to spray it for us. We then went to the hotel courtyard for high tea, after about an hour we returned to our room and the odour was just as bad as it was before.

Whilst we were staying in the room we noticed the bathroom doesn't seem to have that same odour, in fact it felt like it was odouless when compared to the other part of the room. We finally decided to call reception and advise of the situation and asked if we could change room which the hotel helpfully said yes and quickly arranged another room for us. We really appreciated for that as I did not want to stay in that room any longer. A note, that the room was on level 4.

We moved to level 17, when we entered the room the air was noticeably much clearer and doesn't smell like wee.

To be honest, I think the odour comes from the carpet.

If I were to rank the hotel I would say 3 star, with friendly service and helpful staff 3 and a half star - to be harsh I don't think it it's 4 star hotel. (I can't stand smelly room)

Generally, I won't come back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Room are cozy & elegant, staff are always with a smile. Food on the restaurant is real good plus the location is a block away from my work place. I will always stay here whenever I am in Hong Kong. This was our fourth stay with this particular hotel. We just love it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed here for three days after spending a few weeks in the Philippines along with my mother and sister. I was not very impressed with this hotel. The staff was very polite, but the staff I spoke to did not speak english well enough to comprehend and work with us to resolve minor problems, although had no issues checking us in. The room was small, but it is a large city, so that's a given. At first, it was rather clean, but once we moved our two twin beds together to create a single queen, the floor underneath the moved bed was by far one of the most disgusting floors I have ever seen in a hotel, although it is not a normal thing for us to move beds in hotels, so I can understand. Although, I would wear slippers around the hotel room at all times, so the repulsive floor was not too big of an issue. The next day went smoothly, although the surrounding areas of the hotel are concentrated with locals and more residential areas rather then tourist. We went to a soup restaurant our first night, and (thank god!) one of the waiters spoke minimal english, enough to get me some chicken and noodle soup! The city is relatively easy to get around, so even with a hotel in an awkward location, it's not hard to get to where you want to go. The next night, a typhoon hit, so we were trapped in the hotel. We decided to check out the restaurant in the hotel, it was way too expensive for what we were paying for (if I remember correctly, it was $20 for a burger and $7 for orange juice, this is roughly converted for HKD to USD). At first, we decided to pass, and we went to the small desert cafe in the lobby and bought a coke and a fruit cup, and I had some granola bars packed upstairs. This tied us over for a little while, although, a few hours later, we found our stomaches growling again, so we caved and shared a burger by room service. It was a pretty good burger, but I am always against spending $20 for a burger, and I would say I typically have rather expensive taste too. My last problem was BY FAR THE WORST. After eating, I decided to take a shower - the shower was clean, and it felt so good to be clean too. I get out of the shower and start padding down my body and I realize there is a big red stain on the towel, almost like it had not been washed since a girl on her period used it! I honestly almost started crying, and quickly stepped back into the shower and this time, made SURE I got a clean towel.

Overall, I would've rated this hotel much higher if it weren't for a few cleanliness issues. Oh, and one issue I had that wasn't too horrible was the "tilted" theme of the hotel, it made me dizzy (although it was a unique theme, just my personal preference). Also, the elevators were always packed. I would not suggest this hotel to a friend, although I do believe it may just not have been the right hotel for me!

Room Tip: Don't move two twin beds to create a queen unless absolutely necessary! Also, there are condos r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees? Share your experiences!