“Wonderful hotel with services needed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees

You added Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees to your Saves list
Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.199 Kowloon City Road, Tokwawan, Kowloon | Kowloon,, Hong Kong, China (Kowloon City)   |
Special Offer
Free Wi-Fi & Room Upgrade
Ranked #165 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Manila, Philippines
“Wonderful hotel with services needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Room are cozy & elegant, staff are always with a smile. Food on the restaurant is real good plus the location is a block away from my work place. I will always stay here whenever I am in Hong Kong. This was our fourth stay with this particular hotel. We just love it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed here for three days after spending a few weeks in the Philippines along with my mother and sister. I was not very impressed with this hotel. The staff was very polite, but the staff I spoke to did not speak english well enough to comprehend and work with us to resolve minor problems, although had no issues checking us in. The room was small, but it is a large city, so that's a given. At first, it was rather clean, but once we moved our two twin beds together to create a single queen, the floor underneath the moved bed was by far one of the most disgusting floors I have ever seen in a hotel, although it is not a normal thing for us to move beds in hotels, so I can understand. Although, I would wear slippers around the hotel room at all times, so the repulsive floor was not too big of an issue. The next day went smoothly, although the surrounding areas of the hotel are concentrated with locals and more residential areas rather then tourist. We went to a soup restaurant our first night, and (thank god!) one of the waiters spoke minimal english, enough to get me some chicken and noodle soup! The city is relatively easy to get around, so even with a hotel in an awkward location, it's not hard to get to where you want to go. The next night, a typhoon hit, so we were trapped in the hotel. We decided to check out the restaurant in the hotel, it was way too expensive for what we were paying for (if I remember correctly, it was $20 for a burger and $7 for orange juice, this is roughly converted for HKD to USD). At first, we decided to pass, and we went to the small desert cafe in the lobby and bought a coke and a fruit cup, and I had some granola bars packed upstairs. This tied us over for a little while, although, a few hours later, we found our stomaches growling again, so we caved and shared a burger by room service. It was a pretty good burger, but I am always against spending $20 for a burger, and I would say I typically have rather expensive taste too. My last problem was BY FAR THE WORST. After eating, I decided to take a shower - the shower was clean, and it felt so good to be clean too. I get out of the shower and start padding down my body and I realize there is a big red stain on the towel, almost like it had not been washed since a girl on her period used it! I honestly almost started crying, and quickly stepped back into the shower and this time, made SURE I got a clean towel.

Overall, I would've rated this hotel much higher if it weren't for a few cleanliness issues. Oh, and one issue I had that wasn't too horrible was the "tilted" theme of the hotel, it made me dizzy (although it was a unique theme, just my personal preference). Also, the elevators were always packed. I would not suggest this hotel to a friend, although I do believe it may just not have been the right hotel for me!

Room Tip: Don't move two twin beds to create a queen unless absolutely necessary! Also, there are condos r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Yishun, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed for 8 days 7 nights on the 20th floor in this hotel. The hotel was clean, tidy and the staff is very friendly. For the price i surveyed, this suits my budget for a 4 star hotel. The surrounding is not scenic but at least i get a look & feel what its like in a typical Kowloon area. Since im going out early & returning at night, i don't see why i need a hotel with a nice view & don't understand people complain about view/scenic surroundings. There is no MTR , so u have to take the shutle bus with timing. Or u can take a taxi to Tsim Sha Tsui MTR for abut 47 to 57 HKD. Food for me is a challenge. As im a Muslim, halal food is hard to find. Luckily, there is Halal food Chinese style located at Wan Chai located inside a mosque. Or beside the Kowloon mosque at Tsim Sha Tsui area, there is a shopping centre. If u noticed some indian/Arab/Middle Eastern standing, approach them. They maybe holding some brochures about their food menu. But pricing wise, be prepared. I can get a briyani in Singapore for around $5sgd(30hkd), but it till cost u around $14sgd(75hkd) to $17sgd(100hkd) for a plate of briyani or Arab rice. All in all, i enjoyed my stay in hong kong and will return again in a few years time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I've stay in HK for few days and I chose this hotel cuz of my budget. Seriouly, the hotel room is small however the price is low. The hotel seems new, I think just opened for a while. The room is clean and tidy. There's no MTR station close by, but the hotel provide free shuttle bus service in every 20-25 mins to TST which is very convenience. If you did your homework before you chose the hotel, you will know there's a green mini bus to Mong Kok. The buffet breakfast was good, staff in front desk are quiet friendly and helpful.
Overall, my stay is not bad. But remember to do some research for the area first, otherwise you might get lose.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel was great and so was the staff. Everyone there was very polite by opening doors, helping with bags and giving you ideas of where to do for fun. There are a lot of business around and some nice restaurants and markets. The room was nice and we were really high up and had some good views of the area. The only draw back was that it was far from downtown Hong Kong. They do provide a free shuttle service though to Hung Hom station and to the ferry area downtown. The internet service here at the time was $15(U.S.) per day. We went out walking around a lot so we did not have time for the internet. Overall I would stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We visited HK for New Years this year (Dec 2012-Jan 2013). This hotel, Harbor Plaza 8 Degrees was “The Worst Hotel” we've ever stayed in on a foreign trip. Let me tell you why:

Horrible Location: Like my friend (who is an HK local) described, this hotel is located in Vashi/New Bombay and for everything you need to travel to Churchgate! Nothing is closeby - no decent restaurants, no sightseeing, no place to take a walk, nothing. It is in an area with dilapidated/old buildings around. So basically, when you don’t have a planned activity for the day, you cant step out of the hotel.

But how can you even stay indoors, when you have such rooms?

Their Superior Room is sooo small, basically just one bed, one desk, one cupboard, that’s it. No space to walk around in the room. Even my 3 year old used to get cranky when she was in the room because she did not have any space to move around or play with her toys.

There is absolutely no space to keep luggage.

In the bathroom, the shower area and toilet were separate, but both were soooo tiny. You cant even stretch your hands in either of the areas, you actually hit the wall or the door. And if you try to turn around, you hit the wall or the door.

It’s a four star hotel which actually doesn’t serve any complimentary drinking water in the room!!

The cups placed in rooms were dirty, when we checked into our room.

And the temperature in the room cant be regulated. The AC would run at 20 degrees at all times and any effort to change temperature to 24-25 degrees was in vain. Even when we switch the AC off, it was still running (though at a very miniscule fan speed) and the room continued to be cold. When we asked the hotel staff, they said nothing can be done about it.

Most of the rooms at the hotel had two single beds joined together (not double beds), as mentioned by their staff.

Since staying in such a room was impossible, we tried to upgrade our room to suites (they have only two category of rooms - superior rooms & Suites). When requesting for an upgrade, we told the hotel staff that since we are travelling with a child, we wanted adjoining rooms and we were assured then that we would be given adjoining suites when we return from our day tour. When we get back in the night, we find our luggage in two rooms at two ends of the hall. However, when we insisted for adjoining rooms, they kept repeating that no other room is free and were very rude about it.

So then, we refused to take the upgrade because rooms far away were more inconvenient for us. The Hotel Staff refused that as well. Then we requested to talk to the hotel manager and after a 1 hour plus ordeal, we were given rooms which were somewhat closeby but still not next to each other.

And the beds still were two single beds joined together in a suite in a 4 star!!!

There’s more. One night (at around 2 am) we were stranded in an area where we could not find any taxi or bus and no one could guide us to the hotel. We contacted the hotel, requesting them to send hotel Car or some help to get us back. They said they have no hotel cars, refused any help and disconnected the call.

Despite having many Indians, there is absolutely no Indian food available. Even the vegetarian options are very limited. And once when we ordered some dinner, we were served vegetarian food alongwith non-vegetarian dips.

The staff of this hotel is very rude and very non co-operative in every way.

I must say, this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I was in this hotel from 7th to 12th January 2013 (went to Macau 8-9 jan). I had booked for standard room but was upgraded to suite so not too sure about the condition of the standard room. Their suite have dining & living area and the bathroom is so so small. The bedroom, just enough to fit in 1 king size bed. Don't expect good view cos there is non. My room faces a condominium in which we have to keep the curtains close all the time cos its i can see what the people are doing in their homes & vice versa. Buffet breakfast was acceptable. Location, no malls & trains nearby so if you wish to go shopping or sight seeing, take a bus or a cab. Service is average. the only helpful staff around are the concierge. But overall its acceptable due to its low cost. But remember this, if you have a baby with you, find a hotel in Mong kok or Tst. Langham would be good.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees? Share your experiences!