I stayed here for three days after spending a few weeks in the Philippines along with my mother and sister. I was not very impressed with this hotel. The staff was very polite, but the staff I spoke to did not speak english well enough to comprehend and work with us to resolve minor problems, although had no issues checking us in. The room was small, but it is a large city, so that's a given. At first, it was rather clean, but once we moved our two twin beds together to create a single queen, the floor underneath the moved bed was by far one of the most disgusting floors I have ever seen in a hotel, although it is not a normal thing for us to move beds in hotels, so I can understand. Although, I would wear slippers around the hotel room at all times, so the repulsive floor was not too big of an issue. The next day went smoothly, although the surrounding areas of the hotel are concentrated with locals and more residential areas rather then tourist. We went to a soup restaurant our first night, and (thank god!) one of the waiters spoke minimal english, enough to get me some chicken and noodle soup! The city is relatively easy to get around, so even with a hotel in an awkward location, it's not hard to get to where you want to go. The next night, a typhoon hit, so we were trapped in the hotel. We decided to check out the restaurant in the hotel, it was way too expensive for what we were paying for (if I remember correctly, it was $20 for a burger and $7 for orange juice, this is roughly converted for HKD to USD). At first, we decided to pass, and we went to the small desert cafe in the lobby and bought a coke and a fruit cup, and I had some granola bars packed upstairs. This tied us over for a little while, although, a few hours later, we found our stomaches growling again, so we caved and shared a burger by room service. It was a pretty good burger, but I am always against spending $20 for a burger, and I would say I typically have rather expensive taste too. My last problem was BY FAR THE WORST. After eating, I decided to take a shower - the shower was clean, and it felt so good to be clean too. I get out of the shower and start padding down my body and I realize there is a big red stain on the towel, almost like it had not been washed since a girl on her period used it! I honestly almost started crying, and quickly stepped back into the shower and this time, made SURE I got a clean towel.
Overall, I would've rated this hotel much higher if it weren't for a few cleanliness issues. Oh, and one issue I had that wasn't too horrible was the "tilted" theme of the hotel, it made me dizzy (although it was a unique theme, just my personal preference). Also, the elevators were always packed. I would not suggest this hotel to a friend, although I do believe it may just not have been the right hotel for me!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located near the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal and Mongkok area, close to Tsimshatsui shopping, entertainment and sightseeing destinations, MTR Hunghom Station, Kowloon Bay & Kwun Tong are conveniently reachable by the complimentary hotel shuttle bus. The award winning Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees has a unique twist to its lobby, designed with utmost innovation creating an optical illusion where it feels as if you're inside Italy's Leaning Tower of Pisa. Features 702 guestrooms and suites, boasting a 32-inch LCD TV, in-room Wi-Fi access, mini-bar, tea & coffee-making facilities. Two restaurants offer International, Asian, Halal and Indian cuisines, one inviting bar, a full service Business Centre, a well-equipped Fitness Centre, a relaxing sauna and a distinctively shaped outdoor swimming pool, children's pool and whirlpool surrounded by a lush landscape. Three Executive Floors with a Harbour Club Lounge offering complimentary afternoon tea, evening refreshments, breakfast buffet at Cafe 8 Degrees, etc. Offering hospitable service and excellent facilities, Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees distinguishes itself admirably among travelers appealing to business, leisure, family vacation or romantic getaway looking for comfortable and pleasurable accommodation at great value. Please note hotel outdoor swimming pool will be closed during winter from 01 December 2014 and will open till further notice. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees Hotel Hong Kong
- Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees Hong Kong