We visited HK for New Years this year (Dec 2012-Jan 2013). This hotel, Harbor Plaza 8 Degrees was “The Worst Hotel” we've ever stayed in on a foreign trip. Let me tell you why:
Horrible Location: Like my friend (who is an HK local) described, this hotel is located in Vashi/New Bombay and for everything you need to travel to Churchgate! Nothing is closeby - no decent restaurants, no sightseeing, no place to take a walk, nothing. It is in an area with dilapidated/old buildings around. So basically, when you don’t have a planned activity for the day, you cant step out of the hotel.
But how can you even stay indoors, when you have such rooms?
Their Superior Room is sooo small, basically just one bed, one desk, one cupboard, that’s it. No space to walk around in the room. Even my 3 year old used to get cranky when she was in the room because she did not have any space to move around or play with her toys.
There is absolutely no space to keep luggage.
In the bathroom, the shower area and toilet were separate, but both were soooo tiny. You cant even stretch your hands in either of the areas, you actually hit the wall or the door. And if you try to turn around, you hit the wall or the door.
It’s a four star hotel which actually doesn’t serve any complimentary drinking water in the room!!
The cups placed in rooms were dirty, when we checked into our room.
And the temperature in the room cant be regulated. The AC would run at 20 degrees at all times and any effort to change temperature to 24-25 degrees was in vain. Even when we switch the AC off, it was still running (though at a very miniscule fan speed) and the room continued to be cold. When we asked the hotel staff, they said nothing can be done about it.
Most of the rooms at the hotel had two single beds joined together (not double beds), as mentioned by their staff.
Since staying in such a room was impossible, we tried to upgrade our room to suites (they have only two category of rooms - superior rooms & Suites). When requesting for an upgrade, we told the hotel staff that since we are travelling with a child, we wanted adjoining rooms and we were assured then that we would be given adjoining suites when we return from our day tour. When we get back in the night, we find our luggage in two rooms at two ends of the hall. However, when we insisted for adjoining rooms, they kept repeating that no other room is free and were very rude about it.
So then, we refused to take the upgrade because rooms far away were more inconvenient for us. The Hotel Staff refused that as well. Then we requested to talk to the hotel manager and after a 1 hour plus ordeal, we were given rooms which were somewhat closeby but still not next to each other.
And the beds still were two single beds joined together in a suite in a 4 star!!!
There’s more. One night (at around 2 am) we were stranded in an area where we could not find any taxi or bus and no one could guide us to the hotel. We contacted the hotel, requesting them to send hotel Car or some help to get us back. They said they have no hotel cars, refused any help and disconnected the call.
Despite having many Indians, there is absolutely no Indian food available. Even the vegetarian options are very limited. And once when we ordered some dinner, we were served vegetarian food alongwith non-vegetarian dips.
The staff of this hotel is very rude and very non co-operative in every way.
I must say, this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
- Also Known As:
- Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees Hotel
- Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees Hotel Hong Kong
- Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees Hong Kong
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning chic Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees has much to celebrate including its’ five awards achieved in a short period of time. The hotel is located in an uprising area in Kowloon near the former Kai Tak Airport region and Mongkok, just minutes from Hong Kong’s diverse sightseeing, shopping and entertainment hotspots. Minutes to the MTR Station and bustling Tsimshatsui by frequent complimentary hotel shuttle bus that’s not just a ride but also a city tour through one of Hong Kong’s oldest districts. This upscale 4-star hotel features 702 charming guestrooms and suites with fully equipped kitchenette, a fantastic outdoor Swimming Pool, Children’s Pool and Whirlpool, a spa and a well-equipped Fitness Centre. All rooms boast a 32’’ flat-screen TV, mini-bar and tea & coffee-making facilities. The hotel gets its name 8 degrees referring to the 8 degree descent pilots had to make to descend onto the runway here - the architects have taken it further by actually giving the lobby the optical illusion of being inclined at that angle too! Hospitable service and excellent facilities, this hotel appeals to all business, leisure, long staying and family travellers looking for comfortable and attractive accommodation in the pearl of the orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Olotels, Otel, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip DaoDao, HotelTravel.com and Tingo so you can book your Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.