“Comfortable room but check-in service needs to be improved” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees

You added Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees to your Saves list
Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.199 Kowloon City Road, Tokwawan, Kowloon | Kowloon,, Hong Kong, China (Kowloon City)   |
Special Offer
Free WI-Fi & Room Upgrade
Ranked #176 of 693 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore
“Comfortable room but check-in service needs to be improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I reached the hotel after 3pm. The check-in was not smooth. At first the counter staff told me that there was no record of my booking. After I told her that the tour agent had confirmed my booking, she went to the back room to check and she took about 10 mins to do so. She said my 2 rooms were not ready and asked me to come back after 5pm ! After some reasoning, she finally found the 2 rooms. Really the check-in service should be improved !

On the other hand, the concierge service was very good. A man in black suite signalled the bell boy to carry my 5 pieces of luggages when I was outside the hotel. They were helpful to advise on transportation and route to get to the destination. In short, they were eager to help !

My rooms were at the 17th floor. They were clean, comfortable and reasonable big with window cushion platform. Kind of relax to sit by the window and enjoy a cup of hot beverage. Coffee making facilities and 2 complementary bottles of drinking water were provided.

Short walking distance to shops selling famous egg tarts and egg rolls, 7-11, wet market and small eateries. Taxi to Ladies Market costs HK35 and Ocean Park costs HK175 (Eastern Tunnel) during off peak.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Although the room was clean and comfortable and reasonably priced it was too far out of the city for my liking. They had a free shuttle bus which was handy but a couple of times it was too full and we couldn't get on, the service was patchy some of the staff were freindly others not so much, I didn't like how they charged per 24 hours for wifi instead of per hour and they froze over $200 aud on my debit travel card. I know it's only a deposit but I thought they could've explained how much they needed and why when we checked in. I don't see how two adults who are out for most of the day sightseeing can possibly do that much damage.

This hotel might be ok for a couple that wants to stay somewhere quiet but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife & I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights and we had a fantastic and memorable stay.

>>We took a taxi from airport and the driver dropped us beside the hotel which was one of HK driver's strategy to ripped of some unsuspected guests like us. We don't want to argue so we got out and walk towards the lobby. When the the man in Black suite spotted us, he hurriedly run towards us and offer assistance.

>>The moment we stepped inside the hotel, a lady manager greeted us and guide us to the check in counter

>>The young chinese lady was all smile doing our check in. It was done with warm welcome and explained us the shuttle bus service, HK map and the nearby area.

>> After checked in we went up to our perfectly well cleaned room.

>>When i want to use the Wifi, i called the reception and i was told that i have to pay $120/day. at first i was shocked but then realized that different hotels have different rules and as guests we have to respect.

My Wife & I are well travelled couple and have stayed in some of the worlds most private & expensive resorts / hotels & islands. We stayed at this hotel as recommended by one of our friends due to the excellent service and the hotel itself is new and has big rooms.

We would definitely come back & stay here again.

Such a GREAT & LOVELY Hotel! Kodus to to the staff and Managers.

Room Tip: Suites are much bigger. But if you are on tight budget, superior room will do and big enough compare...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel is nice,a little away from the main city,but the rooms are neat and clean,the view is not too good.The breakfast has a good variety,also there were nearby, local restaurants that offered great local foods.

The staff were nice. They guided us how to move from one place to the other.The shuttles to Tsim Tsa Tsui came frequently .

There are better 4 stars in the city,but if u decide last minute and can't find a better place,then this is the place to be :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

my husband and I stayed for 2 nights in late october and had a very pleasant experience.We arrived after a long flight from melbourne and unfortunately the patio room our travel agent had booked did not have acess to the patio for me to smoke.After some very professional and courteous handling of the situation by the staff member ,we were given a king suite for the price of a deluxe room,which had a very comfortable bed! We had dinner at the hotel both nights,once at the restaurant and on the poolside deck and both were wonderful.The breakfast was also good,offering both asian and western food.The hotel is in a great area to explore markets and everyday life in honkong.We loved this and spent many hours walking through the streets.The bus stops right outside the front door and the taxis are very cheap and clean.It took us 15 minutes to get to the star ferry in a taxi,so this hotel is still close enough to enjoy the main island.Overall I would highly recommend this hotel,especially for people who wish to see the cultural side of Honkong

Room Tip: The king suites have a bit more room and the bed is extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jodhpur, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

hotel full of indians but no indian breakfast.even after request indian breakfast was not provided. even service in room very poor. no cleanliness in room.i hope i should not go back in this hotel.
due to travel agent commission i think this hotel is running

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

1. Check-in Mess: We arrived at hotel around 2 pm in the afternoon. I have no idea whether it’s Ctrip or your hotel’s fault that we were given two King-size room instead of two double-bed room we requested. It should have not been a problem, however, it took your staff 30 minutes to solve the problem. They are not that helpful and flexible. Since it’s a business trip, we had tight schedule to complete, our driver waited for the additional 30 minutes, and we had to shorten our meeting and tighten the rest plans. Can I ask who is supposed to be responsible for all these?
Room 1703 & Room 1717 (King-size Rooms), Room 1703 changed to Room 1019 (double-bed Room)

2. Complimentary Bottle Water: we were not informed by any means from both your hotel and Ctrip that there are no complimentary bottle water offered by your hotel, until we found no drinking water at Room 1019 and asked the room service staff. It’s a common sense in most hotels in this world that at least two bottles of drink water should be available in each hotel room, isn’t it? It’s not a big deal if your hotel charge your guest with the drinking water, how do you explain there are two bottles of drinking water in room 1703? Can I take them as the special birthday gifts your hotel offered? You know what? after we asked for the drinking water, no matter it’s free or not, your staff promised we would have them for the rest days we stayed. However, again you ate your words, and we didn’t have those water during our stay at your hotel. What a disappointment it was! Can I just comment and share my experience on Trip Advisor?

3. Locked Mimi Bar: Finding no drinking water in our room, we wanted to find something in the mini bar. We didn’t care too much of the charge, I mentioned it’s a business trip and most of the cost would be covered by the company. Can you imagine or were you informed of what happened? It’s so incredible that the mini bar was locked! Are you guys crazy by doing that? We called your staff and this problem was not solved until we complained when we checked out. Is it the common way you treat your guests? or is it the special treatment to us only?

4. Lobby WiFi: We found the hotel introduction from Ctrip’s website that your hotel offer WiFi service in public area. It’s also common sense that WiFi service in public area is free for use. Actually, those two WiFi users are not familiar with English language, they could only understand room number and user’s birthday, not to say your charge policies. More importantly, I remember Hong Kong is always Chinese territory and Chinese language is always one of the official language in Hong Kong. How can you only use English as the guide language?

5. Noise Control: The room door is not that sound proofing. I still remember how I was waken around 6:00 am on Sunday morning by corridor noise.

6. Service Attitude: The hardware in your hotel is great, the whole construction is amazingly designed. However, the services are terrible! Apart from the above issues I mentioned, I felt bad when your staff including the South Asian manager dealing with my complaint when we checked out. Their attitude, their wording, they gestures implied that they/your hotel do not welcome us as the guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business