“WORST HOTEL EVER - but good location” 1 of 5 stars

Mingle Place By The Park
No.143 Wanchai Road,Wanchai, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Ranked #232 of 652 Hotels in Hong Kong
Melbourne, Australia
“WORST HOTEL EVER - but good location”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Easy - I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER recommend this hotel. The room is the WORST room I have ever stayed in - ever - SO small that there is not even enough space to open a suitcase, I had to turn the rubbish bin upside down to use it as a desk to rest my laptop on, had to rig the ironing board up on the hook at the back of the door (vertically) so I could iron my shirt on the ripped yuck old ironing board. Totally noisy from traffic, aircon barely worked, and shocking security in terms of access from the street. Absolutely abysmal.
Good points - the location is super convenient to the exhibition centre and Wanchai MTR, and the staff are friendly, which is amazing, because I heard other very unflattering comments from guests, which were all water off a duck's back in the way the staff handled (or ignored) them albeith cheerfully.

Room Tip: NEVER select a single room. Actually, just don't stay at this hotel, you'll regret it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I only stayed 1 night as I was in between friends stay. The room was small even for Hong Kong standard but it was expected as I only paid GBP40 for a double! Just remember there's always a catch. I didn’t mind as I only slept for a few hours and it was clean and had it’s own compact bathroom. Air-conditioning and TV all worked fine and check out was a piece of cake. Location is fairly convenient. It’s in a fairly local area of Wan Chai away from the cheesy bars, although if that’s what you want then it's only a few stumbles away at the end of a night. It’s about a 5 min walk to the MTR, the tram stops are even closer and there are plenty of buses and minibuses towards Central. It’s cheap and cheerful and probably good for someone not wanting to stay more than 3 nights.

Room Tip: Higher floors would probably drown out the traffic noise more
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Florence, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

pros
good position close to the wan chai area and metro
recently renewed bathroom
comfortable bed
clean room
efficient air conditioning in the room

cons
small room
minuscule lavatory recessed between 2 walls at 20 cm distance, hard even to wash your teeths
no elevator and no air conditioning in the stairs
price high compared with the hotel class

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We loved our stay at Mingle By The Park. The bed was big, the bathroom was clean and the air-con was fast and effective. It is only a 5 minute walk to the MTR (subway) and has a great variety of eating and market shopping places nearby. The Wifi was very good. It dropped out about once per day but only for a few minutes; otherwise it was very fast. We used to live in Hong Kong so were very used to the stair-well access to the road but honestly, one reviewer here said this was unsafe however HK is one of the safest / crime-free cities in the world so this really isn't an issue. I actually enjoyed the anonymity of coming and going as we pleased without the hotel staff seeing us.
I only had one time I called front desk. I wanted to make a cup of tea but there was no sugar. They informed me the hotel doesn't supply sugar but then about 10 minutes later a porter knocked on the door with a few sachets of sugar. Having lived there we were also used to the compact way HK people can make a room. The only thing I thought was too small was the wash basin as you can't fully lean over the basin while brushing your teeth / shaving but in reality this is not really a big deal.
I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: You can ask to be shown a variety of the rooms available so you can choose your best location.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed at Mingle Place By The Park for 8 nights and thankfully i had prepared myself for the small living space (based on other trip advisors)! If you are a no-fuss traveller, on an average budget and intend on spending most of the day exploring the city then you won't complain. The location is perfect (right down the road from my favorite HK Style cafe) - Wanchai is my preferred area to stay in!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Well , I got to this hotel , by chance at all . I had some problems with my credit card and I have to spent the night somewhere , and not much cash so I choose this hotel only becasue of price . BUT , I the experince was nice . First I have to say that the room is preatty small , but if you are alone on business trip can be enough . The bath room si new and nice , and also the room si new and very comfortable bed . I slept very well . Please do not understand that is a 5 star hotel, I do think that you cannot spend more than 2-3 nights there . For the 500 HKS /night ( tax included ) I got a nice room , comfy bed , free wireless in the room !!! ( which i snot very common ) and good Location . So for me it was a nice surprise this hotel . If you just want somewhere to sleep this is a good-cheap choice . Also Flat TV in the room ! I stayed at 3 rd floor and I even had a small balcony . Interesting experince . I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I was looking for something in Hong Kong which is almost impossible to find: that 1960s touch that is brilliantly staged in Wong Kar-wai movies. Tiny rooms, side by side long balconies that face the busy and bright streets which used to be the old harbor of Hong Kong. I found this all and more at the Mingle Place By the Park. The "more" stands for amazing shower (believe me, I needed after long flight connections and 2 weeks surfing in the Philippines), great location, and super friendly staff. Go to the park, located just behind the hotel, for a rest or walk - the park connects Wan Chai with Happy Valley. I couldn't think of a better place to stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Mingle Place By The Park? Share your experiences!