“not so cheap for the service” 3 of 5 stars

Mingle Place By The Park
No.143 Wanchai Road,Wanchai, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Ranked #233 of 690 Hotels in Hong Kong
Florence, Italy
“not so cheap for the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

pros
good position close to the wan chai area and metro
recently renewed bathroom
comfortable bed
clean room
efficient air conditioning in the room

cons
small room
minuscule lavatory recessed between 2 walls at 20 cm distance, hard even to wash your teeths
no elevator and no air conditioning in the stairs
price high compared with the hotel class

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We loved our stay at Mingle By The Park. The bed was big, the bathroom was clean and the air-con was fast and effective. It is only a 5 minute walk to the MTR (subway) and has a great variety of eating and market shopping places nearby. The Wifi was very good. It dropped out about once per day but only for a few minutes; otherwise it was very fast. We used to live in Hong Kong so were very used to the stair-well access to the road but honestly, one reviewer here said this was unsafe however HK is one of the safest / crime-free cities in the world so this really isn't an issue. I actually enjoyed the anonymity of coming and going as we pleased without the hotel staff seeing us.
I only had one time I called front desk. I wanted to make a cup of tea but there was no sugar. They informed me the hotel doesn't supply sugar but then about 10 minutes later a porter knocked on the door with a few sachets of sugar. Having lived there we were also used to the compact way HK people can make a room. The only thing I thought was too small was the wash basin as you can't fully lean over the basin while brushing your teeth / shaving but in reality this is not really a big deal.
I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: You can ask to be shown a variety of the rooms available so you can choose your best location.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed at Mingle Place By The Park for 8 nights and thankfully i had prepared myself for the small living space (based on other trip advisors)! If you are a no-fuss traveller, on an average budget and intend on spending most of the day exploring the city then you won't complain. The location is perfect (right down the road from my favorite HK Style cafe) - Wanchai is my preferred area to stay in!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucharest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Well , I got to this hotel , by chance at all . I had some problems with my credit card and I have to spent the night somewhere , and not much cash so I choose this hotel only becasue of price . BUT , I the experince was nice . First I have to say that the room is preatty small , but if you are alone on business trip can be enough . The bath room si new and nice , and also the room si new and very comfortable bed . I slept very well . Please do not understand that is a 5 star hotel, I do think that you cannot spend more than 2-3 nights there . For the 500 HKS /night ( tax included ) I got a nice room , comfy bed , free wireless in the room !!! ( which i snot very common ) and good Location . So for me it was a nice surprise this hotel . If you just want somewhere to sleep this is a good-cheap choice . Also Flat TV in the room ! I stayed at 3 rd floor and I even had a small balcony . Interesting experince . I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I was looking for something in Hong Kong which is almost impossible to find: that 1960s touch that is brilliantly staged in Wong Kar-wai movies. Tiny rooms, side by side long balconies that face the busy and bright streets which used to be the old harbor of Hong Kong. I found this all and more at the Mingle Place By the Park. The "more" stands for amazing shower (believe me, I needed after long flight connections and 2 weeks surfing in the Philippines), great location, and super friendly staff. Go to the park, located just behind the hotel, for a rest or walk - the park connects Wan Chai with Happy Valley. I couldn't think of a better place to stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

My room was small, but considering the price, I expected that. Everything was clean. The fixtures are all modern. Everything was in good repair. The furniture and fixtures are cleverly designed to make maximum use of the small space available. The Internet, wired and wireless, was good. The staff all did their jobs well. Mingle Place at the Park is really an extension of Mingle Place With the Star, in an older adjacent building at a lower price. The check-in for both is in the lobby of the Star, so, when you arrive, don't make the mistake of trekking up the steps at the Park with your bags looking for a lobby because you'll just have to haul your stuff back down and go to the the adjacent building. There is a small sign telling you this at street level, but I missed it the first time. While there is no elevator in this six story building, the Star has an elevator and there are two connections between Park and Star, one at the roof (7th level) and one at the second level. So, you can take the elevator up at the Star, cross over, then haul your stuff down at the Park. Actually, the helpful staff will do that for you. Park is advertised as a historic hotel. Considering that I was built before this hotel was built, I don't see it that way, but I suppose it is true. It has interesting historical pictures on the walls of the staircase. My room did have a balcony, but it is so tiny that if you can get out on to it, it might not be big enough to turn around on - certainly no room to sit there. Wan Chai Station on the MTR is a short walk, maybe 5 minutes, or less. Overall, I got a good clean room for a great price, so I'm completely happy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

You might think this is a hotel, but it clearly states on the door of your room that in fact it is a guest house.

Plus points, very helpful and friendly staff, from the cleaning ladies to the girls on the front desk and the polite and helpful manager Henry. They will help you with any questions you may have.
Even the guys carting your luggage up those stairs are kind and don't complain.

I must say the room was spotless, and cleaned extremely thoroughly every morning.

The area is very interesting and it is handy for taxis, trams, etc. lots of little cafes and restaurants around. The restaurant adjoining the Mingle has wonderful and very fresh Chinese food...again, the staff are lovely.

Negative point...room is absolutely minute! But I did have a little patio all to myself with table and chairs which made it more bearable. I do think it was overpriced, but then, you are on HK Island
And HK is notorious for highly priced hotel rooms.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mingle Place By The Park? Share your experiences!