“Will return again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong

You added Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong to your Saves list
Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.88 Tai Kok Tsui Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Formerly Cosmo Hotel MongKok) (Tai Kok Tsui)   |
Ranked #61 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 stars 1,692 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
“Will return again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Excellent service indeed. Emails you before your trip to ask your time of arrival and even your flight number.

Arrived at 1.30am and still the staff were very polite and patient. Check-in was a breeze. Shuttle buses were very convenient, arrived and left punctually. Goes to mongkok, tsim tsa tsui and kowloon.

I booked the Family Quad room and it was very clean and had a state-of-the-art design. However although their website said WIFI was included, the staff did not give me any login and password at check-in and I thought I was kinda ripped off. I only realised after my stay that I did chose a room with internet.

We forgot to switch on the housekeeping lights and they were kind enough to left a note about it. Remember to switch on your housekeeping lights if you want your rooms clean. The breakfast was ok. The omelet was fantastic but the porridge was too salty.

They wrote that it took 4mins to walk from olympic mtr station to the hotel but it took us more than 10 mins and as my parents were old, it was difficult for them to walk. The maps for the walking were unclear and we almost got lost.

Overall its an excellent hotel within the heart of mongkok. I will return again!!!

Room Tip: Try get the family quad room if you have 4 people.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have just stayed here for a short stay in Hong Kong, i'm due to return in a few days for another stay. I wish I hadn't already booked this place because it's not what I thought it would be at all!
I know the standard of rooms in most Hong Kong Hotels are small but these are really small, so small that while house keeping was in the room there wasn't enough room for me to be in there and I was standing in the hall.
The bed's are extremely uncomfortable which is the last thing you want after a long flight, I asked for a soft matress topper like i'd read from previous reviews but when house keeping came up there was already one on there. I asked what else could be done but was told that every bed in the hotel is identical. When I asked to speak with the manager I was told he was too busy, after I pushed this, within 5 seconds he was on the phone to me. The manager said the best he could do was put a blanket on top of the matress and then the next day put another topper on. After the second topper was added it was bareable. For the trouble the manager did give us 2 coupons for the buffet breakfast the next morning.
The pillows weren't that great and although I didn't ask, there were no others in the room you're able to use.
Buffet was quite average, nothing special about it at all, was a bit of variety that did cater for all nationalities, however if It wasn't included in my room i wouldn't be paying the $100 for it!
Location with the shuttle bus that leaves every hour you can pretty much get around everywhere you have to go! We walked from the night markets at Mong Kok back to the hotel one night and took about 15 minutes so isn't that far at all. There is a MTR that's only 5 or so minute walk away. We got the MTR from the airport to the closest station (Olympic) then walked the rest of the way, which was a bit of a pain with our luggage. You can catch the airport train to Kowloon then the hotel's courtesy bus will pick you up from there at about XX:45 every hour and take you back to the hotel. This starts from 0745 til 2345. There is a Mcdonalds across the road from this hotel and various other restaurants nearby where you can get a feed. The hotel itself has a Thai restaurant which looked reasonable although we didn't eat there.
Cleanliness The rooms were quite clean and that standard was maintained throughout the stay.
Internet is available at I think about $15US a day or it's free in the hotel lobby.
Gym The gym at the hotel is quite small but if you're just wanting to do some cardio there is a bike and also a X trainer available, there was a treadmill as well but was Out of Order for the duration of our stay.
We wanted to leave some luggage at the hotel while we left for a day before we returned to the hotel, however we where going to be charged $30hk a piece per day. However the concierge waived that fee for us after advising we would be back and staying in the hotel.
The Staff were all very helpful and friendly most could speak decent English and where quite informed of where things were in Hong Kong.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CosmoHotelMongkok, General Manager at Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback. It’s nice to learn that you were happy with the convenient location of the hotel, cleanliness of guestrooms as well as the friendly services rendered by our professional team.

The hotel actually provides five room categories sizing up to 42 sq.m. and all of them ae smartly designed to maximize use of space. Guests can always contact our reservations team and they would be happy to recommend the room type that suit your needs best upon booking.

We understand how a sound sleep important to the travellers therefore all our mattresses are imported from the international famous brand Simmons which is good for back support. We hope the immediate arrangement on additional toppers and blankets could help you to sleep at ease and we are glad to share that a pillow menu featuring 11-choice of pillows is available all costless to guests booking CosMorganic Rooms or Suites, from the softer choices of feather and scented pillows to the firmer choices of buckwheat and stone pillows, guests will for sure find one that best suits their preferences. We also hope that you had enjoyed the complimentary breakfast that extended by our team, while the breakfast buffet offered on the 2nd floor featuring an array of choices including fresh fruits, bakeries, made-to-order egg dishes with Asian and western delights, it would be great if you can try their authentic Thai cuisine at lunch and dinner upon your next visit. Meanwhile guests can also find an array of local and international delicacies that entice their appetite surrounding the hotel.

Trust that the complimentary shuttle service to multiple destinations including Mongkok (MTR station / Langham Place), Tsim Sha Tsui (China HK City / Canton Road), and West Kowloon (Airport Express Line / ICC / Elements) has brought you convenience during your stay and thank you for sharing the useful tips with other travellers.

We apologize for the temporarily malfunction of the Treadmill in the fitness studio, please be ensured that repairing work has been done and we hope you can also enjoy exercising with the comprehensive facilities in our fitness studio to start the day during your next stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
Abuja, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We decided to stay at the Cosmo Mongkok as the budget was reasonable for Hong Kong. Having read the reviews on here, we were aware of the small room size, and prior to booking we also noted that the manager always addresses the complaints on this site by highlightling that the hotel also offers larger rooms. That may be the case...however these larger rooms come at a premium which may or may not be worth the extra funds.., however for the budget, we decided on the cheaper small room.

Whilst the room is undoubtedly small, it is very well designed and all of the space is utilised. For such a small space there are plenty of facilities. The ipod dock, alarmclock, safe, fridge and electric blind were all nice touches. The wet room is a glass cubicle which runs along one side of the bed. This means you can only enter the bed on both sides, which may be inconvenient if your partner needs to get up in the night.

We really enjoyed the area, this part of mongkok is not really catering to tourists, however we had lovely food in many of the local restaurants just over the road, and particularly enjoyed taking breakfast from the bakery (yummy egg tarts) over the road and eating in in the park opposite the hotel while the OAPs did their morning exercises....very nice!

We were always happy to arrive back in the hotel, the staff were always polite, helpful and the bellboys assisted us in getting taxi's and giving the driver our instructions. Check in was quick and the hotel was all we needed.

We would return....

Room Tip: Get a high room for good views and ask to be on the corner away from the lifts.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Suzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is the first time writing a review but after using this site for years I felt the need to add a review.
Pros:
Great free shuttle to Kowloon station along with a couple of shopping malls
Answered all my emails prior to my visit very quickly
Has a convenient store and a McDonalds right across the street
Pretty good location
Cons:
Tiny rooms. We had to upgrade to a superior room to be able to get a crib into the room.
A couple of little mold spots in the shower grout.
The bed caved in the middle. So my spouse and I kept rolling into one another.

But overall was a really good stay with very nice staff. I would stay there again and I have already recommended it to a friend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I recently stayed in a Family Quad room at the Cosmo and chose this place and set up for the room setup and value for money. Not much to look at from the outside and there is not much outside that is attractive to the tourist. But the Cosmo grows on you. The room even though meant for 4 is quite small and tight and has a queen sized bed with 2 single beds separated by low divider with a LCD TV. The bathroom is very big and spacious. This would be very suitable for a family with 2 children. There is approx 30 - 40 cm on either side of the queen bed and the fridge can just take a litre of milk and some fruit when taking into account the mini bar contents! Cupboard space is adequate. The air-conditioning needs to be on at all times if having a shower or boiling the kettle as operating these items can apparently set of the fire alarm. We were given free wifi for the duration of the stay and a nice touch was the complimentary fruit basket on Day One and complimentary bottled water daily. There was no real view to speak of as it was taken up mostly by an adjoining building. Our deal also included a buffet breakfast daily which consisted of a mix of Asian and Western foods. I would not pay the $100HK asked for each person for this breakfast, but as it was included it was handy to go downstairs to have a little something to eat. At night this area becomes a Thai restaurant and to be honest it wasn't too bad. The meal presentation, rice and quality were all fine. Overall service from the staff was excellent with the housemaids performing an excellent service.

If catching the MTR it is located about 5 minutes walk from Olympic Station and 12-15 minutes from Mongkok station- depending on the traffic and how fast you can walk! (Make sure you get an Octopus card from either station to use the very extensive light bus, bus, ferry, tram and train network .. and even the 7 Eleven.) A taxi to the airport takes about 30 mins and costs about $250HK or take the free shuttle bus to the train station. Cheaper by taxi for 2 or more people. Last time we stayed at the Langham Place (5 star) and costing over twice as much to accommodate 3 people in 2 std rooms). This hotel is a little out of the tourist area. Yet there are plenty of places to eat and buy supplies as required outside the hotel. Consider the package as a whole and it's not too bad. I would stay there again

Room Tip: Make use of the free shuttle bus that leaves approx. every hour for ether Harbour City, the Airport...
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was in HK for 7 nights in end Jan 2013 and stayed there for the whole 7 nights. The room was quite clean and the atmosphere of the hotel as a whole was just great! Great location (in Mongkok) very near to the Olympic MTR (about 10 mins walk) and is about 15 mins walk away from the various street markets (ladies, jade, goldfish, flowers) so I quite enjoyed it!

Room was ok in size - not too big, but not too cramped either. They have clean rooms - very important! The toilet and shower was a bit too small though, but it was clean, so no complaints!

Service was great as well, the staff communicated well in good English and were very helpful! *thumbs up* The staff include people at the front desk, concierge to housekeeping - all were really friendly and helpful!

I'd definitely come back to this hotel when I go to HK again :D

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

With family excellent stay in this hotel during Chinese New year. Good location for staying and service is good. I plan to back again next time especially nearby you can enjoy Chinese restaurant dim sum and roast goose. Good trip!!!

Been to Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong? Share your experiences!