“Spacious room for family of 4” 4 of 5 stars

Shama Causeway Bay Serviced Apartment
8 Russell Street, 7/F, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, China (Causeway Bay)   |
Ranked #77 of 581 hotels in Hong Kong
Manila, Philippines
“Spacious room for family of 4”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I chose Shama because i travel with my husband and 2 kids. I wanted location Causeway Bay, spacious room, a kitchenette.
I got the one bedroom apartment that has a huge sofa that my older kid can sleep in. My smaller kid sleeps in between me and husband.
I also love the spacious bathroom. I love the quietness of the entire building.
I love the unlimited supply of Nespresso in the business center and free use of MAC computer and printer. They also have free cookies to snack on.
Complete kitchen facilities, you can just grab some deli breads and cold cuts at CitySuper to make gourmet sandwich in room!
Another add on was they laundry & dryer in each floor, all the dirty clothes of my kids from food spill/mess does not have to wait until we get back, I just throw in laundry every night.
I love that it was very near the new mall Hysan Place.
Overall it doesn't have a crampy feeling like most hotel rooms in Hong Kong, unless you willing to pay $$$.
Some negatives:
Shama Causeway did aged a bit, compare to first time i visited 2 years ago.. need a little renovation.
I also didn't like that they don't help you get a taxi.. you have to line up in the taxi stand of Times Square, and most of the time or rather ALL THE TIME, the line is very long.
No one to help you with heavy luggage.. oh well it's a serviced apartment.
MTR station is near but long walk to actually reach the train.

Room Tip: Get the 1 bedroom apartment with huge sofa good enough to fit 2 adults and 2 smaller kids.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ho Chi Minh City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

IMPORTANT: I have submitted a review for Shama in Bangkok on January 2, 2013 which for some reason is still pending. I send another request to you for information without avail. I request a response as I want to know why it has not been placed and why no response is forthcoming as the review was polite and not in anyway violating the TA rules. Please respond this week. My review should help others to decide even it provided a negative review; it is an honest and unbiased opinion. This seems to only way to contact TA; a continued lack of response will cast serious doubt on TA and it being unbiased.

This is the review:

Title: Not as expected.
Stayed from 30-12-2012 to 2-1-2013.

Good:

1) Location near Sky-train and shops,
2) And above-all the very nice large apartment; we had a two-bedroom on the 8th floor (room 803). The living room and kitchen (plus two nice bed rooms) was very pleasant and comfortable.
While the rooms are always the most important, we experienced a number of relatively small and one large issue(s) which will make our return to Shama very un-likely. (For the record; we stay in BKK 3-4 times a year as a family of four and I stay over on business in BKK each month.)
The less good:

It was busy as we stayed during over New Year and the service was lacking. Yes, all staff were smiling and friendly but;
1) It took three calls on the reception to get the WIFI properly arranged; wrong input into their computer by reception and we were only allowed to connect three devices…?
2) We were simply refused more than 2 key cards for a party of 4 which was very inconvenient,
3) Some items in the rooms were lacking; only soap on one bathroom and just two bathrobes for four people which is not handy when wanting to use the pool.
4) We asked for taxi at 07:00 am and got one after about ten minutes; no assistance from doorman with destination address and the driver wanted to go off-meter which we refused and we got our own cab down the street.

The really bad:

Our main bath room stank like an open sewer; we complained and it took three calls, the final one in person to the desk manager to get some action. It then took three different visits by maintenance. The stench never really went away completely. The issue is that the airlocks on some of the drains do not work so new drains must be installed. Although it was attended to as best they could in the short term, this was not sufficient and we never received an apology or any compensation or were offered another room.
Conclusion; really great modern, spacy apartments (although 803 is need of repairs). However, it seems that staff/management/service and hard ware in apartments are going down, when taking all of the good reviews on TA into account. We paid over 310 USD per night (high season prices). Very well located apartment hotels on Sukhumvit such as Legacy Suites, Adelphi and V-residence and others charge about 30% less with much better service and very nice rooms. Many new hotels are opening in BKK this year and for 310 USD+ and I think you and we deserve and can get a better deal!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Everyone knows its not easy to find a place in downtown causeway bay. Shama is conveniently located in the heart of it, just beside Times Square actually. It's fairly new, stylish and cozy. We got the smallest apartment but we still have a little pantry in the room. Staffs are friendly and really couldn't find any fault. Would definitely go back. Book early as empty rooms are rare. In fact on our second trip this year we couldn't get a room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I've stayed exclusively at Shama CWB for my past 5 trips over the last several years. Reasons are their central location and their apartment layout is a bit more preferable than a standard hotel room for an extended stay. However, I don't think I will return for my next trip.

My experience with the hotel hasn't been great this time. The water temperature is very hard to control. My choice are either lukewarm or really hot. It's still not satisfactory after they fixed it and this was a problem with my previous stay as well. The lights also had a slight explosion when I turned it on one night and my living room end up having no light. It also caused the wifi to go out and they had unapologetically asked if I can just live without wifi for one night. Also, I wasn't given enough toilet paper and I was out one night. All in all, the experience I got from this place just wasn't what I came back for anymore.

The central location draws a huge crowd. It got a bit tiring to have to face the large crowd morning & night. People are just bumping into you constantly and it would be nicer to go back to an area with lesser people.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have stayed at this property for couple of weeks in September this year. Its proximity to the main buzz of Causeway Bay Times Square is a boon and sometimes noisy too. Apartments are in ok conditions, need refurbishment...especially the carpets need a good wash or new look. Staff was helpful, kitchenette was too small almost pretentious. Noticed cobwebs on the walls and that although there was a daily cleaning facility, the apartment was not vacuumed daily. Good option for movies at the reception. Loved the small flash cards on tourist places in HK. Overall an average rating as cleanliness could have been better.great location for shopping.

Room Tip: Facing the Times Square will be a boon if you enjoy the buzz of the activities till midnight
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am a regular visitor at Shama Central but on this occasion chose Causeway Bay because Shama Central was fully booked.

Sharma Causeway Bay is a great property on Russell Street, immediately across the street from Time Square. This is great because it is so easy to get into the city on the MTR - just exit from Exit A, come out into Time Square and you are at the front door of the apartments.

The Shama is a serviced apartment, not a hotel so does not offer breakfast etc, but otherwise offers everything you would reasonably want. The room I had was modern, very spacious and I certainly couldn't complain about the room itself.

The only downsides are that the bed is not overly comfortable - it is too firm and when travelling for business, the location near in Causeway Bay (3 stops on the MTR or HK$40 in a cab) to the city is certainly not unsurmountable, but not ideal. The other drawback is the relative lack of available food options surrounding the property. There is a 24hour McDonalds two doors down, but unfortunately there were surprisingly few other options.

There is a gym on site (basic but functional) and free wi-fi internet is included in the daily rates.

All in all, recommended place to stay in Causeway Bay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

first time here and loved it . would be definitely returning again. here are a few points which i learnt.

1. Taxis - most taxi drivers at the airport may not know where this apartment is. just tell them it is on russell street, causeway bay, hong kong and they would immediately know it - cause it is the major taxi stand for time square which is right next to it. there was 4 of us with luggage and it cost us about $350HKG.
2. MTR entry / exit is just across the road . just cross it and turn right ( yes right not left ) and go down the long escalator. it is a still long underground walk to the actual train itself.
3. 1 bedroom apartment is what we had. they converted one sofa to a bed and had another roll away bed for our 2 kids. they were located in the lounge. kitchenette had microwave , large fridge/freezer, cook top. kitchen utensils including plates were provided. the rooms were serviced every day and the washed the dishes for us. free wifi in room for 8 devices
4. this is a service apartment - hence no 24hrs room service, concierge desk etc. office in level 7 can help with services if needed. therefore very great value for money. for the price of a small 4 star hotel room you get a huge apartment ( well relative to hong kong standard ). i think it had combination of short stayer ( like us for 10 days ) and long term clients
5. eating wise, well there is Mcdonalds right next door for real emergencies , otherwise they are everywhere. for breakfast , closest place that's open at 07:00am - turn right upon exiting apartment, cross the street which then leads to under the overpass freeway and restaurant just there on the other side. total distance about 200m or less
6. there is no pool, roof garden was being renovated when we were there. gym was on level 7 as well and not available for room guest unless you paid - i think it was not part of hotel complex.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Shama Causeway Bay Serviced Apartment? Share your experiences!