“chungking mansion hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ashoka Guest House

You added Ashoka Guest House to your Saves list
Ashoka Guest House
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   A Blk. Flr. 13, A4 Chung King Mansion, 36 - 44 Nathan Road (T.S.T.), Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #23 of 145 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
3.0 of 5 stars 75 Reviews
vienna
“chungking mansion hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

best location, very clean and superfriendly owner. the rooms are very small and the bathrooms are tiny, but for that price its a very good deal. would book there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

It's a worst experience I had in Hongkong. but it was only for a night, i could manage to sleep here. It's so tiny room and the bath is 3 ft x 3 ft. It's in the Chung King mansion, which is on the Nathane Road is the only plus point.

Otherwise, if really want to stay for more than two hrs in the room, dont try this hut rather u can stay on roads or in a nice massage centre in Hong Kong.

Metro is well connected and coming to Nathane Road is not big deal. Stay little away and don't go by their pics n the net its all fooling your vision.

Room Tip: Never ever try in this location
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

HK is expensive. Ashoka is a good option to save some money. It is a simple small hostel in an unfriendly building (especially for women who travel alone). It is located in the 13th floor of a pretty disgusting building, with only one elevator servicing all the odd-numbered floors (means that you wait long time, and that it is always crowded-to-overweight). The location of the building, though, is great - right on Tsim Sha Tsui station.
The rooms are OK, relatively clean and comfortable. Ensuit bathroom is crowded and very small. Shower is above the toilet seat and everthing gets wet. Not comfort at all.
The staff is very nice and helpful, and this made the whole stay much better.

• Stayed October 2011
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I recently stayed at Ashoka Guest House with my wife and 2 children.While it is a typical small HK Hotel ie small, it had everything that we needed. The room was clean and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. As far as the location is concerned - if you are a tourist, you couldn't ask for better being smack bang in the middle of tourist town. Step out on to Nathan Rd. The waterfront and Star Ferry 5 mins walk, MTR at your doorstep and airport bus across the road. I can't imagine that you could do any better value for the money in HK and would recommend to my family and friends.
Dennis - New Zealand

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Trento, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed at Ashoka Guest House for 4 days in May 2011. Good location, the airport bus stops downastairs. MTR stations are also at walking distance.
The hostel is located on the 13 floor of the Chung King Mansion,a awful building in Nathan Road. The elevators are very slow and crowded.
Our double room was very small, with a tiny window, but was clean. They changed the towels everyday.
A good and cheap hostel in Hong Kong.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Beijing, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

I booked a room for one night at Ashoka for HK$150 but the next day I asked the manager if there were any extra beds for me to extend my stay. I knew he had extra beds since my mixed dorm was completely empty and of the four beds in the room I was the only one occupying one. He said yes, but that I would now have to pay HK$ 300 for the same mixed dorm bed, and then he showed me a receipt of another guest that payed HK$300 that day to justify the increased price. I said that that was rediculous and I haggled it down to HK $250. I paid the bill but after talking to another backpacker I felt cheated. I found out that the other backpacker was only paying HK$140 per night. After thinking about it I was so angry I went back and asked for a refund, and decided to leave. There are many guesthouses in Chung King Mansion and I easily found another place for the orginal price of $150. I understand the way that business functions, but a business should also function with integrity.
in terms of the room itself, it was very small and stuffy, and there is no wifi access in the room (only in the living area).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Urumqi, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed in that Hostel two times, because I was in HK on Visa business. First of all, it's very clean, the people are absolutely friendly, offer excellent service, will answer you any question you may have and even recognize you, when you come back to their facility, as it was the case with me. It's a little small and the second time I stayed some people were a little noisy in the night, but in case of any problems go to the front desk and the staff wil surely help you out. As for the space, you cannot expect to live in a luxurious room when you stay in Chunking Mansin. Anyway, I wanted to stay three days, but I had to cut it short and to leave after one night and guess what, they refunded me the money I already paid for three nights. That's what I call service! Definetely a recommendation from me and whn it comes to booking online Ashoka is great. I booked my room over the Internet, had a reply after about five minutes, needed to make an additional change in my booking, again a matter of five minutes. Thumbs up!!!

Room Tip: Single room, 16th floor, quiet and nice.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Ashoka Guest House? Share your experiences!