“Convenient and homey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Hong Kong

You added Gateway Hong Kong to your Saves list
Gateway Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.13 Canton Road, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #36 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 stars 462 Reviews
“Convenient and homey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I've been to HK a dozen of times already but i always end up coming back to this hotel. And I must say that for me this one of the best hotels in HK. Not only do you get value for your money, rooms and the beds are relatively large for HK standards. The buffet breakfast is worth it too. And what's great, the minute you step out of the lobby you'll find yourself in the Gateway Mall, which is interconnected to 2 other malls. Across the street you'll find restaurants and more shopping. If you're an H&M addict like me, there's one opposite the hotel.

Only drawback is that it's about a 5-8 minute walk to the nearest MTR station. But thats ok. HK is all about walking anyway.

Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the harbor if possible or along Canton Road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have just stayed 5 nights at the Gateway and we were very happy there. Although they warned there might be noise from renovations, there was hardly any. Our room hadn't been renovated but was still in good condition and quite roomy for Hong Kong (and many other cities). The location is great and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

You stay at Marco Polo Gateway for the location! right in the middle of the super tourist area of TsT and part of the Harbour city complex, one of hong kong leading shopping destination.

The hotel is old, I have been staying here for nearly two decades, and the room is still the same decor!! That being said, I always get great sleep here with the very comfortable huge beds (even in the double beds room), and the furnitures are all in good conditions.

The only thing I wish they would change is the room key, they are still using the old style physical key to access the room. Which we would need to drop off at the reception everytime we leave the hotel. It makes it extremly inconvenient when you are sharing the room with someone who might have different dinner plans, etc.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

i just came back from a 4 days vacation with my family last week. we stayed at the continental club room floor of marco polo gateway. the room was still so-so nice and clean. housekeeping service was good. i like staying in the club rooms because we were with our 2 small kids and we can go to the club lounge for food and drinks almost anytime the whole day plus it has free wifi and buffet breakfast but best reason for staying in marco polo gateway for me is it's direct access to so many shops just behind the hotel.. it has citysuper supermarket for grocery needs, it has so many medium to high end shops for men, women and kids, it has many electronic shops, and for our kids they have a big "toys r us" store at the end of the mall plus it has all kinds of good restaurants as well. i also like to take a 5 minute taxi ride to nearby elements mall which i feel is one of the best malls i've seen anywhere. lastly, its also good to stay here because it is near to so many movie theaters which i enjoy doing when on vacation. the minor drawbacks of this hotel is its too far from the nearest mtr station which is about 10 minutes walk, it also has no gym or swimming pool inside the hotel. nevertheless, i would love to stay here again on our next trip to hongkong.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I have been staying at Gateway (alternating with MP Hong Kong) with my parents. Years later, I now pass on my love for this location to my kids. I love the efficiency of their staff. At times, when I would make a booking months before my intended stay, all details to my arrival and check in requirements are followed thru without making follow up reminders.

It's perfect for everything! Shopping, Business Meeting Venue, Banks, Movie Theatre, Great eats, close accessibility to the MTR station, Ferry Terminal (to China & to Hong Kong side.)

I recently stayed this May 28 to 31, 2012 with my family. Again, we left satisfied and well rested!

I would be coming back again and again and again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is the second time I stayed at Marco Polo Gateway, this time for a business trip. We arrived at the hotel at 4pm so check-in was a breeze.

ROOM
PROS:
-The room is really big.
-Lots of rooms for luggages and shopping bags.
-Ample drawer space and enough close space.
-The double bed is exactly a full bed (not the twin bed some hotels advertise as "double or full").
CONS:
-Still the same old room. Badly needs renovation.
-Stuffy, old-room-smell.
-Threadbare carpets -- use slippers!
-Air conditioner was too cold, even though we've put the thermostat on high. Eventually, we turned it off. I thought it was just our room but during breakfast the next day, we heard other guests complaining about their rooms being too cold.

BATHROOM
PROS:
-Really old bathroom -- the bathtub surface is already chipping off.
-Water stains everywhere.
-Old shower.
CONS:
-Big bathrooms space.
-Big counter space.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
PROS:
-Years ago, during our stay, their customer service was blah. But this time, I noticed that their customer service has greatly improved. (I guess to make up for the physical condition of the hotel.) We were constantly calling for housekeeping (room was too cold, needed extra blankets, needed another extra blanket, etc, etc) -- and they would send someone to our room immediately.

LOCATION:
PROS:
-The reason why we still chose the hotel -- LOCATION! It is located INSIDE Harbour City and a 5-minute walk to the ferry.
CONS:
-A bit far from MTR stations.

I always come back to this hotel really because of the location. It's the best hotel for shopping in Hong Kong!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Hotel with history, but have been face lifted in recent years. Rooms are 5 star level with 4 star rates.

Room Tip: Choose room with harbor view. Harbor view is magnificent. Rooms facing Tsim Sha Tsui is interestin...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Gateway Hong Kong? Share your experiences!