“Good Value and Clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ovolo Noho - 286 Queen's Road Central

You added Ovolo Noho - 286 Queen's Road Central to your Saves list
Ovolo Noho - 286 Queen's Road Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.286 Queen's Road, Central | Sheung Wan, Hong Kong, China (Sheung Wan)   |
Special Offer
www.ovolohotels.com deal!
Ranked #20 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good Value and Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I loved Hongkong and loved the hustle and bustle of Kowloon. This hotel is in a good location and the rooms are good size and very clean. The value was ok not overly priced and the staff are always willing to assist me in places I wanted to visit. I would have thought shopping in Hongkong was cheap but to my amazement shopping here is not so cheap. Thank you to the beautiful young lady who always helped me in the placed I wanted to see and you were such good help and so informative.

Room Tip: Ask the staff anything you need about Hongkong as they know the place well
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho - 286 Queen's Road Central, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear HelouE,

Thank you so much for sharing your Ovolo experience on tripadvisor. We’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this positive feedback, particularly of our service team. Hong Kong is a lovely, bustling city but it can be difficult to find your way around and it's great to read that we could assist you! I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is by far the best hotel I have stayed at so far on my Southeast Asia travels. The place it designed so well, both functionally and aesthetically. Someone in other reviews mentioned that this place had tiny rooms. Yes that is true, but you are in hong kong and everything is so packed. You cant make large rooms and make a profit. Smaller rooms and more rooms. Anywyas, the rooms were perfect sized. I could place my bag down and still had plenty of room. The price I paid for this boutique hostel was well worth it, and crazy enough it was very affordable considering all the other hotels in Hong Kong. I would easily return here, and I have never said that about a hotel before.

Pros: there are quite a few.
- staff were very friendly and spoke very pod English
- free mini bar in your room which is replenished daily. Free breakfast which was actually quite good. And best part of all, free drinks (beers, wine, spirits, etc) in the lobby from 6pm to 8pm. Good place to wind down after walking all day.
- extra large towels, comfortable beds and soft pillows
- Apple TV and a flat screen
- location: close of a lot of great attractions. Easy walking distance. And close to the MTR which makes travelling around Hong Kong super easy.

Cons
- the fire alarm went off in the evening. Nothing serious though. And probably won't happen again to other guests.
- there was an issue with the hot water and pressure from the showers. On a positive note, they did slip me a message under my door saying things returned to normal. So however unconventional the shower issue was, they did perform good customer service.

Tip: coming from the airport - take the airport express train to Hong Kong station. Then use the free shuttle bus that takes you to the holiday inn (make sure to take the correct shuttle bus). Ovolo is literally a 1 min walk away. You know you are in the right direction when there is a McDonalds across the street to Ovolo. Alternatively, you could walk from Hong Kong station to ovolo. It's about 15 min.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Adam,

Wow! Thank you so much for writing such an enthusiastic review of Ovolo 286 Queen's Road Central! You really embraced the Ovolo concept of design and full features in intimate spaces with full force and we are delighted you thought it all good value. The perfect size for you - thanks so much! We'd love to host you in Hong Kong again. Give usa bell next time you book and we'll see if we can sort something special out for ya.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is my third stay in Ovolo 286 so I am able to compare my recent experience with previous visits I have made. The bijou compactness was no surprise and the City Queen room was fine for one guest. The space was brilliantly utilised and it was modern, clean and comfortable. Large flat screen with apple tv. Comfy bed. Nice toiletries and super hot rainwater shower. The goodies bag and complementary mini bar were in place. Housekeeping seemed to be a little amiss before my arrival - minor things such as missing toothbrush and paste, bath mat, and laundry bag were easily rectified though. And the additional lock did fall off my door. What I did find a little disappointing was that since my previous visits breakfast times had been shortened to end at 930am rather than 10am which meant that my friends missed breakfast. 930am is too soon to end breakfast at the weekend! The fruit cups offered at breakfast had been minimised. The wines on offer during the 6-8pm happy hour used to be lovely and indicative of good taste and selection. This was now reduced to a poor choice of Shiraz and an unappealing Reisling. The selection of snacks had been reduced - no more yummy olives and the cheese was no longer a self cut option. These may seem like minor nit-picking things but when you know that there are other just as nice boutique hotels round the corner in Soho nearer to many bars and restaurants then Ovolo should be fighting its corner hard and maintaining the appealing standards displayed soon after its opening. Why utilise the happy hour when the wine is of poor quality? The location is great (note - taxis cannot stop directly outside) the unlimited offer of hot (great Nespresso machine) and non alcoholic drinks in the lounge was a godsend after a busy day, free wi-fi, the staff pleasant and helpful (we were all given free late check out as it was quiet) and I would probably visit again especially if the price was super competitive. But I would urge management to review their choice of wines as that was one of the things we really enjoyed previously. Please do not let standards drop.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ovolo2home, Manager at Ovolo Noho - 286 Queen's Road Central, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear KFPGMC,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful review of your experience at Ovolo 286 Queen’s Road Central. We appreciate your support and sincerely regret that, having brought your friends along for your third stay at Ovolo, we didn’t perform to the standards you correctly expect of us.

First I would like to apologize for the missing room items. We’ll fix that. Thank you for keeping us alert to our standards. On the breakfast and happy hour, let me just say how appreciative we are for your feedback. We’ll review our meal schedule so things will be better going forwards.

Thank you again for your valuable review. We very much want to, as you say, ‘fight our corner hard,’ to keep great guests like you returning to and recommending Ovolo. Please let me know next time you are stopping by and we’ll try and work something special up for you.

Guy Doo
Hotel Manager
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Well it is Tiny - super tiny but it has everything apart from some space to chuck ur case out of the way.

I have just come from Bali and I was really happy when I got here and realised all my western treats.

It's the only place Iv ever been where you get free mini bar laundry cocktails and computer games apple tv and dvd player in your room. there's even free snacks soft drinks tea and coffee downstairs all night long! Ohhh and don't forget the comfy slippers and the super powerful and hit rain shower.

If ur on your own and stopping over for a few days it's PERFECT place to recharge ur batteries and right near to everything.

Only one downside - it was a tiny bit too cold for me. The heater they gave me couldn't really heat the room.

Enjoy

• Stayed January 2013
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho - 286 Queen's Road Central, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive and encouraging review of our hotel. We are delighted to read that you made use of our signature all-inclusive amenities and hi-tech features – they are there for you to enjoy! Your kind words have been passed on to our team, as have your comments about the heater. We appreciate all of your feedback and would very much like the chance to host you in Hong Kong again soon.

TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed four nights @ Ovolo 286. All my expectations after reading TA were met, except the room was slightly smaller than I had envisioned. Dimensions seemed to be about 11'X17'. Take away the room taken by the bed and bathroom, and the area to move around is about 6'X10'. Both the room and the lounge/breakfast area seemed extremely clean.
Hotel has an ultra-modern/chic minimalist feel. We noticed it seemed to be very popular with Europeans, mostly couples in their 20s and 30s during the time we were there. The girls working the desk could stand to be a little warmer and more friendly at times. The gentlemen working security at the entrance were usually much more friendly. Laundry on the third floor was great, though it took forever for the clothes to get dry. TV had several stations to choose from for that downtime in the hotel room. Mini-bar and access to water, coffee, and tea all day was perfect. Breakfast had more items set out than I expected, and Nespresso machine added a special touch. We only hit happy hour one night, and it was a little crowded.
We took a cab from Hong Kong Airport Express terminus on the night of our arrival, mostly because it was late and we didn't want to have to try to find our way from Sheung Wan to the hotel while towing luggage. Cab driver had difficulty making the circuitous route to get us in front of hotel on the one way street, so he ended up making an extra go-around. Even so, cab fare for two with luggage was 46HKD . Looks like if he had taken the correct route, fare would have been about 34HKD.
Info for Sheung Wan Station- I believe exit B has escalators going all the way up to the street. Then, just cross Dex Voux and stay on Hillier. When Hillier splits at the "Y", bear right, go up the narrow street, up the stairs, and you are almost directly in front of the hotel. Also, I believe exit E3 at Sheung Wan has a lift.
Overall, a great base to explore Hong Kong. We were happy for the value we got, compared to the prices we saw for other establishments in HK.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with tripadvisor in such an encouraging, well-thought-out manner. It is great to read that we were able to serve as a HK touring base to your satisfaction and that you were able to enjoy our clean, chic interiors for an overall value that you found acceptable.

Ovolo 286 is nearby convenient city transport links and I do hope you managed to explore Hong Kong as much as possible during your stay with us. It was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you back home the next time you visit. In the meantime, please take care.

Guest Services manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Great launching pad for my 4 day stay in HK recently. Although,as noted by other reviewers, that rooms are small, as a traveller by myself I found the space, service and amenities all very welcome. Management were adaptable with some changed booking arrangements. What I really appreciated at the tail end of a trip across south east asia where I stayed in 7 other hotels were the small, friendly details. Free minibar, breakfast, laundry facilities. Most hotel rooms in HK will be compact, but very few make you feel like you're home. Would definitely recommend if you're not fussed by size.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ovolo2home, Public Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho - 286 Queen's Road Central, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear CameronKing,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience at Ovolo 286 Queen’s Road Central on tripadvisor. That we were able to serve as a ‘perfect HK launching pad’ was great to read as that is what this hotel was designed to do for all manner of travelers heading to Asia’s World City.

Delighted to see as well that you took full advantage of our free all-inclusive services and flexible booking arrangements. These touches are hallmarks of all Ovolo hotels as we continually seek to match modern guest expectations with an innovative hospitality experience and should you come back to Hong Kong we’d love to host you again.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We arrived by taxi from Hong Kong Station around 1400 on a Sunday and were checked in quickly and efficiently by the friendly staff. We verified later that after coming in by the Airport Express we could have taken the MRT to Sheun Wan, one stop from HK Station, then walked ~200m. south from the Hillier St. exit.
Our room 1103 looking out over the front of the hotel was high enough not to be bothered by the street noise. Everything about the room was well designed to fit all conveniences into the space and its provisions were great. It would have been ideal for one person because it was definitely cramped for two. One had to sit still on the bed while the other moved around. So in this respect it wasn't really suitable for an elderly couple like us, especially getting in and out of bed which consisted of a mattress on a low platform ... very much like sleeping on the floor really. What we liked most about the room design was the shower room (can't call it the bathroom because .. you guessed it .. no bath) which was efficiently laid out and comfortable to use.
We went out for several hours and returned on the MRT to walk around the hotel area and found numerous eating places serving local fare at reasonable prices. There was even a Thai restaurant 100m. up Hillier St. which we didn't try because we never eat Thai away from home. But closer to the hotel was a fried pork dumpling stand (read Gyoza) which was very good indeed. So our night at the hotel was ok but hampered by having to step over each other to get to the toilet a couple of times (like old folks need to). I was quite surprised that sounds from the other rooms on the floor were barely audible considering their proximity.
Anyway, morning came and we went down to the second floor lounge for breakfast which was excellent in its provisions. No complaints there at all. We checked out about 1040, again fast and efficient .. no fuss because everything in the room including the mini-bar stock was free of charge.

Room Tip: Check available room sizes and layout before booking.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and detailed account of your experience with us at Ovolo 286 Queen’s Road Central. It is very rewarding for all of us to read that you enjoyed many of the services and room features on offer and that our staff was able to meet your expectations and check you in and out efficiently. That you were also able to take in some of the sights and nearby restaurants during your time was also great to see.

Your comments regarding the bedding arrangements in your room have been noted. We regret to readthat your sleep was disturbed by the floorplan but satisfied that your room was adequately insulated from any outside noise. Please know that we will use your comments here to improve upon our services. Once again thank you for all of your great feedback. The next time you are in Hong Kong please let us know so we can host you and your family again.

Guest Services Manager

Been to Ovolo Noho - 286 Queen's Road Central? Share your experiences!