“Memorable Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Hong Kong

You added W Hong Kong to your Saves list
W Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Austin Road West, Kowloon Station, Hong Kong, China (West Kowloon)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% off Early Bird
Ranked #8 of 693 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Memorable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

This is the first time for me staying in W Hong Kong. Staff were nice and attention to detail. They offered a free upgrade to sea view room because it's my friend's birthday. Atmosphere and rooms are chic and modern like all other W hotels. A great choice in HK under Starwood group! I am coming back again next time.

• Stayed August 2014
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Hello Antwu, we’re thrilled to know what an excellent stay you had! Definitely looking forward to your return. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I was disappointed during my first stay at the W. The manager wrote me an e-mail and suggested a room upgrade during my next stay but I didn't use it and didn't even tell them that I was coming back.

A year later, things were completely turned around. I now consider this a wonderful hotel...a top option in HK with a very attentive and detailed group of staff! It's a true "category 6" hotel at SPG and a great escape in HK.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Hello WonderPink, we’re delighted to hear that our service has improved since your last experience at W. We continue to learn and improve as a team through feedback such as yours. Thank you for recognizing and recommending us. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This was my third stay at the W Hong Kong and it remains as great as ever. A new touch is the smart phone which you can use for local calls and to browse the internet. It meant that I could take my smart phone with me and save on data roaming charges. The rooms are spacious and well thought out with the quirky touches you expect from the W, The pool on the 76th floor is amazing, The staff are attentive and friendly and breakfasts are great. Eight days wasn't long enough!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello 267Debra2013, thank you so much for your comments. Handy smart phone is indeed handy! We are thrilled to know what an excellent stay you had! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

W hotel in Hong Kong is a nice, modern hotel connected to a big international shopping mall. The room ( like a small junior suite) was clean and in a modern design. The view to the harbour was nice. Check in and check out was very complicated. The front office staff did not accept my SPG card which was very surprising for me.
The sunday lunch in the restaurant near the main lobby was great and much better than expected.
Also the service was very friendly and helpful.
The luggage service was offered but did not work.
During the world soccer games in Brasil there was no TV cannel to watch the games. Simple answer for the front desk after 2 calls - Sir you have to find a bar nearby - Thanks to W Hotel.
Next time in Hong Kong I will find another hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello lackahderfla , thank you so much for taking the time to write us the review. First off, I apologize for the service shortfalls experienced at check in. We certainly do accept and recognize SPG members here, so one of the team has obviously dropped the ball here. I would appreciate if you would be kind enough to share more detail regarding your arrival and luggage service experiences via email to ww.whk@whotels.com and I will personally investigate to ensure no other guests have such experiences in future. Thanks again for your comments, we hope you will come back again to see our service improved! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sent this to the w...

My wife and I stayed at your lovely hotel in Kowloon on Friday evening/Saturday morning and I wanted to mention how your staff made it such a great experience.

Gary on the desk as soon as you walked in on the left, was so helpful. It was a surprise trip for my wife, she was about an hour behind me not knowing her destination - I mentioned this to Gary “could he look after her when she arrived”, “show her where to go etc”.

He looked up my name on Facebook, found her so to ID her and brought her straight to my room - amazing service.

Cyrus on check in; again charming, genuinely interested and spent some time trying to find me a decent room option, lovely guy.

And lastly the two ladies in Blis that gave my wife and I a VIP massage – warm, funny and made it an absolute pleasure for us.

Thanks again

Greg

• Stayed August 2014
Hello GregSim88, thank you so much for your review! Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Gary and Cyrus went the extra step to look after you so well. They are much valued W talent and will be delighted to hear your review when we share it with the entire team. We hope your “blissful” memory will bring you back to W Hong Kong again soon! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

In my previous rave review of the hotel, I mentioned that the only downside to the place was the dining other than breakfast. Which disappointed me.

I gave it one more chance when I arrived here 5 days ago; I was tired and didn't feel like seeking out one of the other fabulous dining options HK has to offer, so just wandered downstairs to the Kitchen just looking to be 'refueled'.

OK, something has certainly changed here, the place was PACKED with locals, they have a buffet set up in the evening & it might be the most popular dining place in HK (if you exclude the cupcake place in TST where they employ guards to monitor the half mile lines). However I chose to skip the buffet and order a Kitchen D-Lux burger from the a la carte menu.

It was genuinely one of the best burgers I have ever eaten, perfectly cooked (medium rare) as requested and the fries were almost as good.

Alright, I only ate one item from a lengthy menu, but I have to be hoinest and state that this place is no longer disappointing for food.

The rest of the hotel remains, as always, one of my favourites anywhere in the world, the place is great, the views spectacular and the staff are the world standard for helpful, without being obsequious. I am already looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Get one of the corner rooms overlooking the harbour, if possible.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello James D, thank you for such positive words. Based on the recent feedback, it’s apparent that the groundwork our new Chef Alain Allaire has been putting into food quality over the last 3 months is now really starting to bear fruit. It’s fabulous to receive such recognition and chef Alain will be delighted to hear it. Great also to hear your overall experience was a positive one. We train our team to be warm, friendly, professional and helpful, but try to keep it respectful rather than overly formal. Great to know it’s appreciated - you seem to have an eye for all things W aspires to be! Thanks for believing in us. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I recently spent 12 nights at this hotel. I have to say the start was a little rough. I did not have the best experience at check in and this was one of the properties of SPG that I did not feel valued or respected as a Platinum member.

Having said that, I appreciated the lightning speed of the GM, Peter, who responded and initiated a meeting with me on my experience. I had a great chat with him and not only shared my experience but also feedback overall on the hotel.

The one thing that W Hong Kong has going for it is that the country is on fire right now with visitors and therefore runs well for occupancy. There are gaps in service and room for improvement. The upside, a vey thoughtful GM who is dedicated to loyal SPG members and also in improving the standards. I had stayed twice at the W Hong Kong and am looking forward to spending many more visits at this hotel. I wasn’t “Wowed” this time at the service recovery from the teams and this is in no way the fault of Peter. He inherited the property. It’s the management of each respective department that needs to shape up, especially director of rooms.

I will not go into details of the insulting experience at check in but I am looking forward to seeing how the property takes steps to improving on the overall standards.

W is a a hipster brand of SPG and has great offerings for those who like to party,Woobar is great for hanging with friends while being close enough to your room to retire. The pool on the 76th Floor has sweeping views, if only blocked by ICC, where the Ritz Carlton resides but is owned by the same company as the W. Dining options great, I loved the breakfast spread but with the influx of guests, the W Hong Kong has lost a little of its lusture. Rooms are great, beds are comfy and I always sleep well. Thoughtful amenities. The only drawback, design flaw with bathrooms in the suites, floors get wet easily which makes for a messy bathroom.

All in all, a good hotel that needs a bit of work but I am happy to return because the GM has taken a personal interest at improving on guest experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Hello Wanderlustland, thank you for taking the time to write us this comprehensive review. It was a pleasure meeting you despite how hard it is to hear such feedback. I am grateful for the time you took to share your experience and I will ensure we take the learning from this and apply it so as to make the necessary improvements. Thanks for maintaining your faith in the brand – we won’t let you down and will ensure your next stay with us speaks louder than the words I write here! I hope to see you again very soon. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager