“Too cool for school trendy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Hong Kong

Save Saved
You added W Hong Kong to your Saves list
W Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Austin Road West, Kowloon Station, Hong Kong, China (West Kowloon)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SPG HOT ESCAPE
Ranked #15 of 581 hotels in Hong Kong
“Too cool for school trendy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've stayed at a few W hotels so know what to expect. However the service in this hotel was outstanding from the lobby to reception. At the bliss spa (ask for Winnie - She is ace) and in the Woobar. It's expensive sure bit worth it. Annoying things are music and not being able to swim in the amazing rooftop pool because of bad weather. Not their fault though they seem to be able to fix most things

• Stayed April 2013
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hello Maurdunn and thank you for writing your review on TripAdvisor. We are grateful for you sharing your thoughts online and very glad to know you enjoyed the hotel. I will ensure your compliments are passed to Winnie at Bliss – I am sure she will be encouraged no end. We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

1,563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I think a lot of the 5-star reviews are from people who are overwhelmed by the perception that W hotels are really cool, and one in Hong Kong has to be especially cool. I had a four-night stay booked for a business trip. The location is convenience in that a train runs under it, but there is nothing within walking distance, so I found the location to be very inconvenient. The room was average for a nice Hong Kong hotel. I went to the restaurant in the lobby (which thinks it is much more hip and trend than it is). I was seated in the far back corner behind a big pillar and against a window. No big deal, except...it was raining outside and rain was somehow coming through the closed windows and hitting my head and back. I tolerated it. 25 minutes after I ordered, the waitress came by and asked me what I ordered. I told her again, and ten minutes after that she came back and told me that the kitchen had no record of my order and I would have to order again. I left enough money on the table for my drink and left.

I decided to check out the next morning, which happened to be my birthday. I'm not one who likes to bring attention to my birthday, but they made no mention of it while I was checking out, and didn't wonder why I was checking out early.

I took the train to the Crowne Plaza on the Hong Kong side of the island where I would spend the next three nights. They immediately greeted me with "Happy Birthday, Mr. ____", which was a nice touch. That night, while enjoying the complimentary drinks and snacks, I left my phone at my table. I then went to another floor to enjoy the rooftop scenery. Someone from the lounge somehow tracked me down there and gave me my phone. Great service. Then I got back to my room, and there was a complimentary bottle of champagne and teddy bear waiting for me for my birthday. The difference between the W and this hotel was night and day.

I won't be back to the W Hong Kong, and probably won't stay at any other W's.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear AZCats2011, please accept my sincere apologies for your very disappointing experience of W Hong Kong during your recent stay. There is absolutely no excuse for the poor service you received at WOOBAR and I am personally looking into how this could have occurred and which of our team is responsible. The team have been trained and repeatedly reminded that when we need to seat guests in one of the more “private” areas of the bar, that these guests should receive even more attention for this very reason. The lack of attention paid to you and loss of your order when combined with a leak in the window above you would obviously have been absolutely infuriating. That the bar or any of the team working there give the impression they feel they are “cool” is certainly not our intention. Our philosophy is to offer a vibrant, modern environment and a style of service which is engaging, warm and professional. I am sorry if this is not how we came across to you and we will work harder at improvements in this area also.
Obviously when departing the following day, we should also have both wished you a happy birthday and politely enquired as to the reason for your early departure. We did have an alert in the system and champagne and amenities planned to be placed in your room for that evening, but the lack of the relevant greeting first thing in the morning is extremely useful feedback and I have discussed with the team today and implemented a process effective immediately which will ensure no future similar recurrence for our guests.
AZCats2011, I appreciate that you have lost faith in the W brand, however I do not believe your experience is a fair representation of our hotel or the brand. I would like to contribute to you being able to have another experience of the W Brand (not necessarily this hotel) and if you would be willing to take up my offer please contact me on ww.hk@whotels.com. Sincerely, Peter Hildebrand,General Manager
Kendari, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

WO WO WO WO
stayed here during chinese new year 2013 ... amazing location , fantastic view , and connected with one of the best shopping mall in hong kong .

the lobby is very unique , very nice staff .. and the room was WOW !!! and the best thing of this hotel for me is THE POOL !!! AMAZING !!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Ruffiole and thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that your W Hong Kong stay was a WOW experience for you! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We dropped by HK after our 2012 Christmas/New Year holiday for 3 nights at W Hotel. It was chosen for the familiarity and convenience by my other half. Although I was doubtful as to how special this stay would be - it's only a hotel after all ... I really was happily surprised at what a great experience we had.

Checking in and out was painless, the staff friendly although there was a bit of a wait both times. The room was comfortable: good bed, many pillows, block out curtains, no noise issues (big plus as I'm a fairly light sleeper), and had no issues with servicing.

It was convenient to try out Ritz Carltons' Cafe 103 (which turned into a disappointment), and especially convenient to check in to our flight home as W Hotel is within Elements. We also enjoyed a great meal at Sing Yin, the restaurant down stairs which they use for room service (didn't see the discount card we could have used until after).

What tipped the scale and impressed me was the amenities provided by the hotel. Although it was too cold to swim, we went upstairs to check out the pool and gym area - very nice. One of the staff saw me sneaking around and gave me a private tour of the change/shower rooms - what service!

The only possible issues I could have would be the distance of the room to elevator (it was a bit like a maze), and the need to take 2 elevators to leave/return to the hotel room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Sxylai and thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to receive the feedback relating to your stay at W Hong Kong during Christmas and New Year period. Delighted to know you were pleasantly surprised with the hotel and we hope to have you back again soon. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Saipan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am living in a serviced apartment which allows access to the "W" Hong Kong rooftop pool (76th floor). The pools (swimming and spa) are both infinity pools and the edges seem to drop off the edge of the building. The hot pool faces the ICC and the western end of Victoria Harbour and even at night it is a stunning view.
The pool staff is always attentive and accommodating. They serve food and drinks as well. The food is ok but not great, but the view more than makes up for that.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hello Wolf M and thank you for taking time to write a review for us. I am glad you enjoyed the use of WET our 76/F outdoor pool but apologize that you felt the food served there was not as good as you might have expected. We are working to improve this and I do hope you notice the changes over time. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Athens, Gree
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

W's design is a love hate thing. I love it. If you prefer "old" hotels.....go somewhere else! :-)

I usually book into hotels located on the island so when I ended-up in Kowloon I started feeling uncomfortable. Luckily, it was one of those good mistakes cause the "Elements" shopping mall located right below the hotel provides you with everything from coffee shops to movie theaters; from (very!) expensive european brands to supermaket, etc.

If you worry about being away from the island, you are only a mtr stop away....

It's also great for running fans as you can either run in Kowloon or just take the mtr to the island and tackle the Peak.

The Gym is really really terrible so bring some running shoes!!

Room Tip: If you are into having a nice view from your room, you should ensure to ask for it when you book cau...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Hello Xo s and thanks for your review on TripAdvisor. We are certainly glad you took the plunge and braved the Kowloon side this trip. I am pleased and proud that you did not regret your choice! Regarding the gym, I would greatly appreciate any specific feedback as to why it did not meet your expectations. Please let me know at ww.hk@whotels.com and I will do what I can to make required improvements. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a very modern hotel with all the amenities you could ask for... Wifi everywhere, great breakfast buffet, modern spacious rooms, etc. On par or above any new W Hotel in USA. Enjoyed my stay here, for a business traveler this is a pretty good spot. While not in the heart of town it is very good to use as a base for conducting business. The location relative to the train station is awesome. Mall attached is convenient for some exploring and eating. They even granted me a 4pm late check out on the day of my departure.. very handy to catch a late night flight. I travel quite a bit and this is one of the best spots.

I would absolutely return to this hotel the next time I'm in HK.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello Matt-Jode and thank you for your compliments. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed all our facilities, had great dining experiences, and well as our location. We look forward to your return visit soon! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

Been to W Hong Kong? Share your experiences!