“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Hong Kong

Save Saved
You added W Hong Kong to your Saves list
W Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Austin Road West, Kowloon Station, Hong Kong, China (West Kowloon)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Perfect Summer Package!
Ranked #13 of 613 hotels in Hong Kong
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 3 days and we liked the overall feel of all the W hotels. This location is key. The mall is right below it along with the train station which makes it easy to commute everywhere. Also the connection to the airport is very easy which includes baggage claim right at the train station before even reaching the airport. The hotel is trendy as expected and the rooms are a decent size. The location is in Kowloon which is not as bad as we expected because it is 1 stop into main downtown hong kong. Kowloon actually has a lot to see and do on its own , so being away from the main city while being so close is a benefit. Also it is next door to the Ritz carlton which has a bar on the 117th floor. Would stay at this W when we return to HK.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello inam k and thank you for taking time to write a TripAdvisor review. It is wonderful to know you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit soon. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

1,651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed a week at the W in September, 2012. The hotel was clean, the staff were very attentive, efficient, and friendly, and the bed was the most comfortable I have ever experienced.

Coming from the airport, this is just about as convenient as it gets: the airport train lets you out in the lower levels of the Elements mall, occupied by the W. I can hardly overstate how easy this made our airport and Lantau transport. On the way out, we checked in at the airline ticket counters in the train station and even checked our bags from there, without leaving the building.

The location of the hotel is not optimal. Yet. At this writing it is poorly situated for walking. There is a huge construction site between the hotel and the rest of Kowloon. Covered walkways keep you out of traffic while you make the trek to the night market or what have you. I think once the new train station is finished, you may be able to stay in a mall all the way from the W to the ferry terminal. For now, you can take the courtesy shuttle from the front door to your Kowloon destination with ease, or jump on the subway Tung Chung line that is co-located with the airport train in the attached mall, for your destinations on the island.

We had a great view, including much of the harbor and part of Central. The Ritz Carlton, unfortunately, stands proud between the W and Central. I spent several evening hours just looking out the window at the city and harbor lights. Housekeeping kept the room spotless and on the day before we departed a note from the “room stylist” was left, so we would be sure to tip. I found the term “stylist” awfully precious.

Our bathroom had some design flaws, including a broad, flat-bottomed sink that is not efficient for flushing away toothpaste foam, and takes a lot of extra water to keep tidy. Additionally, sliding walls made the bathroom open up into the bedroom but offered little sound insulation and take some effort to close all the way. Finally, and a sliding glass partition is shared by the shower and the toilet that sealed the shower poorly and left the mat and floor soaked after every shower. The hair dryer was in a drawer in the bathroom and plugged in so far back that it had very little usable range (luckily, my wife is not tall and I am bald).

The common areas are not large, as one might expect in a traditional American hotel, which is neither here nor there to me, but we did repeatedly note how loud the place was kept. The volume in the elevator music was surprising and made for more than one comment shared by other guests as we rode together. In keeping with the mood of the hotel, each time we returned to the room after it had been styled, the television was on, a practice I found to be wasteful and annoying. I feel that being in my 40’s I am significantly older than the target “audience” for this hotel. I would caution anyone who is the least bit stuffy, fuddy-duddy, or old fashioned.

The minor inconveniences listed above did not stop us from enjoying our stay at the W. Although, I feel paying rack rate does not make this a great value, the W is not catering to frugal travelers.

We did not eat in the hotel because we were busy exploring noodle and dim sum shops, but we did drop in on the pool which has a wonderful view. Take your swimming suit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello EWT4, thank you for your detailed review and suggestions for W Hong Kong. We value all our guests’ comments as these are the primary means for us to improve. We have noted all your suggestions within the bathroom area and will work on making improvements. Regarding music volume in the elevator, this has now been turned to a very low volume and I believe we will not have negative guest comments about this in future. Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to see you again on your next visit. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a first rate hotel that maybe tries just a bit too hard to be hip and, as a consequence, seems to lose the personal touch that is a feature of so many of Hong Kong's best hotels. The rooms are outstanding, although the views are only sometimes so with the neighbouring buildings sometimes getting very much in the way. The breakfast buffet is one of the very best I have come across, although the lunch and dinner menus were disappointing by comparison. The real issue with the hotel is its location. You really can't walk anywhere outside of the complex and it is surprisingly expensive to get a cab to either Nathan Road or Central. That said the Kowloon subway stop is directly below the hotel. Great to experience once,but I would not bother again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello BeachSwaggie, thank you for writing your review. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our Kitchen breakfast but disappointed that your lunch and dinner experiences were not up to your expectation. We have discussed with the team on improvements to be made in our venues. Regarding the location, we are one stop away from Central station which is very convenient for our guests, but it is true that due to random traffic situations in HK, it may be more expensive at times. We do hope you would give W Hong Kong another try, If you are willing, please contact me on ww.whk@whotels.com. Sincerely, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The W Hong Kong is one of the most refreshing and welcoming hotels in Hong Kong.
The staff are well trained have a fantastic attitude and go all out to provide you with a wonderful stay. We stayed for three nights on business and really enjoyed every minute we were at the hotel. The fabulous suite was very nice and had harbour views. Starwood preferred recognition was excellent which isn't always the case in W hotels.
The breakfast is excellent with a wide array of healthy choices and most importantly caters for the gluten intolerant !
Planning to stay again later in the year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello jshAdelaide, thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor. It is hugely encouraging for the team to hear this feedback. We look forward to your next visit. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Hua Hin, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We initially arrived by express train from the airport which took about 30 mins to get in to Elements Shopping complex, Kawloon though we found some of the signage confusing giving direction to the W Hong Kong...

On arrival and checked in by the Front Office Manager, very straightforward and painless... the lift has a certain glow that some may say is too dark but we found quite soothing. We had a corner room facing the harbour and the tunnel to Hong Kong island...in the distance we could see the incoming and outgoing aircraft from HKIA. Sightseeing flights, ferries to Macao all on view from the room... A hive of activity on the water and we loved that.

Some of the best features has to be the pool views, jacuzzi and the sumptuous buffet breakfast that screams Eat Me ! We also took the complimentary shuttle to the Sheraton Hong Kong for lunch just to see what it was like.

Overall we were given the 'W'ow in Hong Kong and will be happy to return in the future.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello thaibeachlovers, it is fantastic to know that W Hong Kong gave you a “WOW” experience during your stay! The location of our hotel certainly allows our guests to seamlessly travel to and from the airport, and we are now working with the shopping mall authorities to improve directional signage within the mall. We look forward to your next visit. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

First and last time there. Arrived completely exhausted after an overnight flight, earlier than their normal check-in time. At first they said my room (corner room) would be ready in an hour, so i waited at the reception. After the hour, I came to the reception desk and they told me that the room would only be ready in another two hours, because they were trying to get some stain off the carpet. I asked if a different room is available, and the reception guy said that only more expensive rooms are available. Free upgrade for an exhausted SPG member was not an option, of course.

When I finally got to the room later that day, I was really surprised that it was quite dirty and showing its age (which was strange, because the hotel looks rather new otherwise). Needless to say, the stain on the carpet was still there after hours of trying to get it out :)

I used room service a couple of times, and food was ok, but not great.

The hotel is so pretentious with their "urban chic vibe", but I'd rather have them clean the rooms better and look after their customers with more attention. Not coming back there, for sure. HK has a lot of hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hello PeterPZ, I am very sorry to hear of you poor experience of W Hong Kong, in particular the check-in and the challenges removing the carpet stain made in the room by a previous guest. When the hotel runs at a high occupancy is when we need to be at our best, and in your case we obviously were not. Our “urban chic vibe” is a differentiating point we are proud of, but we are keenly aware that without being customer centric and getting the basics right, this could in fact could work against us as far as guest perception goes. This hotel is operated by a professional and experienced team of hoteliers who have learned the trade in some of the best brands in the business, Starwood’s and others. We are ashamed of the experience we provided you, and I believe our communication with you, both the message and the delivery, did not make things easier. I have discussed this with the relatively new team members concerned and rest assured we will improve. Whilst you have vowed not to return, should you decide to give W Hong Kong another try I will make it worth your while and you have my personal commitment that you would have a W experience commensurate with that of our many regular guests. If you are willing, please contact me on ww.whk@whotels.com. Sincerely, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Checked in yesterday and it was downhill for me and my wife from the very first minute we handled our traveling documents and credit card. We were told our room was not ready, would be in 1hours time, and suggested to wait in the WooBar at our own cost. We only got our room 2.5hrs later, after we insisted! And all we got was a complimentary wifi access.

Assigned to a corner cool room 3217 that was facing a nice glass building.. Great! Where was the sea or harbor view for corner cool room, that is so eloquently expressed in the description on the hotel's website?? Cheated was how we felt.. I couldn't find anything fascinating or fancy that catches my attention in the room, just a normal room. Now I'm starting to appreciate the spectacular room I had in W BKK. Didn't bothered to check out the restaurants, spa or pool as a result of the nasty initial experience. Worst was we received a call from front desk this morning, informing us that they are sending a welcome gift to our room, but imagine our surprise when we got back into our room and couldn't find anything. Talking about service commitment ...

Definitely not worth the money for us, compared to favorite Mira, with a much better location and overall package. Disappointing and forgotten..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hello popeyescoob and thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of you poor experience of W Hong Kong. I have just looked at our website and while the room description of a Cool Corner is fairly accurate describing it as “Corner with city & harbour views“ I can absolutely understand that you feel mislead by the room photograph which features a picture postcard view of Victoria harbor with a Hong Kong island view in the background. I was unaware of this and will have the picture changed immediately. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Regarding your wait time for checkin, as the hotel was running full over this past weekend, I understand that rooms may not have been available depending on arrival time (of course if you arrived after the checkin time of 3:00pm they most certainly should have been) but our standard is to offer guests a drink at the bar at our own expense in this case, and certainly not to give unrealistic forecasts of when the room may be available. Likewise for the gift which we announced we would send to your room. Popeyescoob, as most tripadvisor reviews will attest, I am confident that yours was not a normal experience of W Hong Kong. I am looking into the details of what happened in your case and if we have your name it would be a lot easier to do so. In addition I would like to offer special arrangements to assist for future visits to our hotel, or to other Starwood hotels in future. If you are willing, please contact me on ww.whk@whotels.com.
Sincerely, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Been to W Hong Kong? Share your experiences!