“Excellent location! Nice Hotel and Nice service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Chongqing

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Chongqing to your Saves list
InterContinental Chongqing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.101 Minzu Road, Yuzhong District, Chongqing 400010, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 1,701 hotels in Chongqing
“Excellent location! Nice Hotel and Nice service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Travel to Chongqing for business trip again. This hotel is situated at one of the most popular tourist spot of Chongqing - Yuzhong district. You could find lots of shops and restaurants all within walking distance.

The hotel is a little bit old, but it didn't affect their service at all. Their staff are nice and helpful. Standard room is spacious and clean, nothing to complaint about the room with this reasonable price. Lots of choices for the buffet breakfast but the quality is only OK...
Starbucks is just opposite to the hotel, if you are not satisfy with the breakfast here, you know where to go.

• Stayed February 2013

520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Me and husband were staying at Intercontinental Chongqing in February 2013 for a week during Chinese New Year. Being honest, we are very pleased. Hotel was clean, our standard room was very comfortable, nice and suprisingly big. Staff was really helpful, not pushy at all. Location was just excellent- in the city centre.
Warmly recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the InterContinental Chongqing for a week with my girlfriend for a week during christmas 2012. I must say that it was a very delightful experience. The room was great, we stayed at the 31st floor and had a nice view over the river. I think they called it a Deluxe-Room. The bed was a very comfortable king-size and the room had a nice sitting area so we could invite our friends.
And the staf was great, especially the concierge came in handy since none of us can speak chinese. He helpt us with all kinds of things, booking resturants, going to the post office to buy stamps, and many more things.

Everything about this place was rely great, especially the location. Its in the middle of everything. We could easily walk to must of the things we wanted to check out witch is a great plus when you dont speak the language. And if you get lost, its located together with most of the skyscrapers in the downtown area, so you can pretty easy figure out witch way is home.

Room Tip: I would recommend a deluxe room, that way you get a good view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Getting a taxi can be a nightmare in Chongqing (you can be waiting for 40 minutes in the rush hour or evening), so on this trip I decided I had to get a central hotel. It was worth it. The Intercontinental is immediately next to a metro station, and within 5 minutes walk of all the offices I had to visit. So no taxis needed at all!

I booked a standard room with Expedia. Check in was fine, but I had to wait for 30 minutes until they had cleaned the room, so they gave me a room upgrade. After the first day (and the costs of £15 for breakfast, £7 for internet and £25 for a buffet dinner) I thought it might make more sense just to upgrade to the executive floor. I asked what the extra cost would be. I was told that they could not upgrade me because my booking had not been directly with them. This sounded very odd. So beware of this hotel's policy. If you want to upgrade you need to book direct with them. Very strange.

Ask for a high floor, because the hotel is surrounded by tall skyscrapers, and it is only from the high floors that you get any views of the river when it is not foggy. When I was there I only had a couple of hours when there were any good views due to the fog, but when the weather clears there are some stunning views.

The room was comfortable, but none of the little extras (like mouthwash, or a platter of fruit) that you might expect in what is meant to be a 5 star hotel.

The wifi was terrible. Due to the Chinese filter systems you canot use google.uk. I had to get staff to come and try things out. The only wifi that worked most of the time was baidu.cn. Not very satisfactory. But you cannot blame the hotel for that.

The gym is fairly good with some modern machines which worked! Better than many hotels in China.

Breakfast was reasonable value for money. They do have fruit,such as oranges, but I wish they had more healthy options. I can say that they have good French bread. Fresh and delicious.

The buffet in the evening is good, but I wish there was an option to have a half buffet at half the price.

Staff did everything they could to help and service was good.

Overall this is a good rather than very good hotel, but it is nearer very good than average so let's be generous at Christmas.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Nemo149

Greetings from the Intercontinental Chongqing and thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I'm pleased to know you especially appreciated our location and guest rooms and yes taxi's are a very challenging problem in this city, not as regulated or organised as in cities like Beijing or Shanghai. We continuously address this with the local officials and hope to soon see some changes.

I'm sorry you waited for your room on arrival as we had very high occupancy the night before, however I am pleased the Front Office Team were able to upgrade you. You certainly should have been able to have Upgraded yourself and paid for a Club Floor Room and facilities and we cant seem to find out why this was declined to you, unless unfortunately there was some miscommunication. Actually for a small rather reasonable sum many of our guests do like this option on arrival. I apologise this was not made available to you. Thank you very much also for the great feedback about the Buffet, both breakfast and dinner. We have tried to add some Healthy options, and we will certainly look at some more. You are absolutely correct about the wifi and at times it is a challenge.

Thank you again and I do hope we can welcome you back to the Intercontinental Chongqing again on your next trip to this large city.

Kind regards
Intercontinental Chongqing
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is an old tired hotel in desperate need of a refurb. While the location is great, the rooms are just average and the lack of wifi in the rooms takes you back to the Dark Ages. That said, there is free wifi in the lobby. Service was highly variable. Check in was chaotic and I began to wonder of there were any staff at all on the lobby bar area.. Chongqing is a great city and has a brand new ShangriLa opening in late 2013. Having had to stay at the Intercon and the Hilton for years, I can't wait!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Beach Swaggie

Thank you for your comments and for staying with us at Intercontinental Chongqing. Actually the Hotel is only 6 years old and we are presently planning some refurbishment of different areas, and presently installing complimentary Wifi throughout the hotel. As it is a major job it wont be finished until next year however all our Club and higher floors has it installed now and all public areas do have complimentary use of Wifi which many guests seem to very appreciate.

Thanks again for the comments and I do hope we can welcome you back

Kind regards
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

There are lots of things to like about this hotel: the location is optimal, the Club Lounge is quiet with a great happy hour food selection.  But it is the service which is outstanding.

Unlike many China hotels, this one just gets it spot on:
- Attentive without being annoying
- Eager to please
- Efficient but friendly

I think the last time I encountered this level of consistent service was at the InterCon Hong Kong, so not a bad comparator.

The only downside of this hotel is the decor which seems to have aged before it's time...

If you are ok with that, then this is a good choice.   But I have also heard great things about the Crowne Plaza Riverside...maybe next time?

• Stayed October 2012
Dear DK London

Thank you so much for your most valuable kind comments especially about my service team and our Club Floor associates, and its great to know your enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the type of service we strive to achieve. To compare us to Intercontinental Hong Kong is a great compliment. Our Hotel is actually only 6 years old however the colourings do tend to have dated it, although we work hard to ensure its maintained well.

Thank you again for the great feedback that I will share with my team, and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards
Guilin, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel has private lounge, efficient business center, large selection of bars and restaurants plus a comprehensive range of other leisure facilities such as swimming pool, spa, massage, gymnasium etc.It is globally renowned. I'm so satisfied with its good service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Bonnie Luo

Thank you very much for your comments and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the many facilities and service. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Thanks again
Kind Regards

Sharon Fraser

Been to InterContinental Chongqing? Share your experiences!