“Great service standards” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Chongqing

You added InterContinental Chongqing to your Saves list
InterContinental Chongqing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.101 Minzu Road, Yuzhong District, Chongqing 400010, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 1,796 Hotels in Chongqing
4.5 of 5 stars 536 Reviews
Shanghai
“Great service standards”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

There are lots of things to like about this hotel: the location is optimal, the Club Lounge is quiet with a great happy hour food selection.  But it is the service which is outstanding.

Unlike many China hotels, this one just gets it spot on:
- Attentive without being annoying
- Eager to please
- Efficient but friendly

I think the last time I encountered this level of consistent service was at the InterCon Hong Kong, so not a bad comparator.

The only downside of this hotel is the decor which seems to have aged before it's time...

If you are ok with that, then this is a good choice.   But I have also heard great things about the Crowne Plaza Riverside...maybe next time?

• Stayed October 2012
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear DK London

Thank you so much for your most valuable kind comments especially about my service team and our Club Floor associates, and its great to know your enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the type of service we strive to achieve. To compare us to Intercontinental Hong Kong is a great compliment. Our Hotel is actually only 6 years old however the colourings do tend to have dated it, although we work hard to ensure its maintained well.

Thank you again for the great feedback that I will share with my team, and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Sharon Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Guilin, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel has private lounge, efficient business center, large selection of bars and restaurants plus a comprehensive range of other leisure facilities such as swimming pool, spa, massage, gymnasium etc.It is globally renowned. I'm so satisfied with its good service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Bonnie Luo

Thank you very much for your comments and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the many facilities and service. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Thanks again

Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

It is my first time in Chongqing and it was in a rush, my agent told me Intercon is good so I just pick anything she said. It was a bit disappointed!
The location of this hotel is perfect if you are going to walk around the city coz it is actually in the middle of the city. When I walked in the lobby, OMG, back to the 80's and is so small. I was so embarrass coz I went in with my China supplier and the lobby looks so cheap! The room was big and clean but it was great to see my long lost friend - those old big TV that I haven't seen for a long time in hotels. Bed is clean and comfortable.
I ate in their Chinese restaurant and it a rip off. I ordered a fish and a glass of wine with no rice and no tea, cost me nearly 600 RMB.
Breakfast was ok.
But next time, I will surely stay in the new Sheraton!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times. It is always excellent in all facets of a 5 star hotel. The management of this hotel should be commended. The facilities are always clean, room, fitness area, diningroom, lounge and the lobby is very inviting. The breakfast is a highlight. Nice mix of local and american cuisine. The location is great for either business or a tourist. It's close to the restaurants, shopping and both rivers. A Pizza Hut is across the plaza and a Starbuck is next store. It's also within walking to the river cruise piers.

Room Tip: sign up for priority club and get upgraded.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Michigan Expat 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write the kind review of Intercontinental Chongqing from your recent stay with us. I share the comments with my Management team as we all work together striving to create a warm and welcoming feeling in the hotel for you our valued guests. Your comments are very encouraging to us all, and especially regarding the cleanliness which we work very hard at. Its also very pleasing to know you liked our breakfast and the varieties offered as we also try to consider all the many different nationalities that stay with us which and offer everyone something that they like. Thank you again for taking your time to send us this great feedback and I hope we can welcome you back again soon and we can have the chance to meet.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

It was my first time in Chongqing and my friend suggested either this InterCon or the Crowne Plaza Riverside. I picked this one. I statyed 1 night.

This hotel is right at the city center, 100 feet from the Liberation Monument. This area is similar to Nanjing Walking Road in Shanghai, or Wangfujing in Beijing. Basically a walking area with shops and restaurants (though much smaller than Nanjing Road, and I find it with less restaurants than Nanjing Road). So there is definitely a lot of things to do at night. And also about a 10 min walk, there is more KTV places and more "small eat" places. These KTV places cannot be seen from the Liberation monument, but its not far away, just ask hotel concierge. BTW, the KTV prices was much cheaper than the hotels I was staying in Beijing and Shanghai. It was RMB100 for the room, RMB25 for each beer. But its possible they charge different for different people, so you have to ask. The area is generally safe, with lights. I walked on street 12:30AM and didnt have any bad feelings. In fact, I was hungry at 12:30AM and ate a roadside noodle cart for RMB6 a bowl. Was pretty good. There is also a massage place not far from hotel, not too terribly expensive, but it was too late so I didnt do it.

My room was a corner room nice and big. I only have 2 small complaint about my room. First, the TV was in the center between the bed and the sofa area, so you could not lie in your bed and watch TV, nor can you sit on sofa and watch TV. I think they tried to balance the needs, but I think it might have been better to put in in front of the bed. But I do think not all rooms are like this. The other thing was the bathroom sink was very low, lower than many other hotels. Maybe I am a tall guy so I have to bend down quite a bit. But the room has great amenities, and it was very comfortable.

Upon check-in, we received a complimentry drink, so we had a drink at the lobby. They had live piano playing, which was good. But our waitress never had a smile on her face. She wasn't rude, but was not friendly. The check-in reception gal was friendly.

Breakfast was good, though if I recall correctly, there was only 1 guy cooking omelet using one of those portable cookers. It was really slow, and after I put my order in, there were 2 people ahead of me, so I canceled my order.

Overall the hotel experience was good. I paid less there than some other hotels, so value-wise, its a great hotel. Location-wise, its also great. Due to above small issues, I would give it an overall 4.5 stars, but since there isn't 4.5 stars, I will be generous and give a 5 star.

I have heard from local people that the Crowne Plaza Riverside is actually a better hotel, with a great view of the Yangtze River. I will stay there next time so I will have a better comparison.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear ChrisW70
Many thanks for your very positive comments and feedback and for taking the time to share your experience at the Intercontinental Chongqing. My team and I are very pleased you enjoyed the stay and the location. Thanks also for the suggestions about the TV in the large Deluxe corner rooms, you are right most TV's are right in front of the bed but this extra large special room which you may have been upgraded too has a slightly different layout, where the TV's were positioned different. We will certainly look at this. Also so pleased you enjoyed the breakfast and actually we have changed the system for cooking eggs and completely changed the xcounter so we have a 2nd Chef available. We had tried something new, hoping to improve the experience which is fine on moderate days, but causes a little delay when busy, so we've changed it. Thank you for the 5 Stars based on the experience and value. I hope we can welcome you back on your next trip to Chongqing and thank you for staying with us.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The hotel is very well located - which is key. The hotel itself is also very good. The rooms are ample and modern - the bathroom is a good size and the amenities are abundant.

I would recommend you ask for a high floor as the noise can be quite loud in the street.

The food on offer here is good - and the breakfast is worthy of note. It has a wide range of dishes - local and international.

The spa is just brilliant and the prices are not that bad for a hotel of this standard.

Overall, the hotel is a good choice and I would recommend this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Well located and Central, has a good amount of buzz around the place. The entertainment zone is a just a 15 minute walk from this place and overall the Hotel stay was great.

Stayed at the Club floor and the rooms are really good. Given the general issue of speaking English in the city and its hotels, this hotel had quite a few of them speaking reasonably good. USe their services to ensure you are moving around to the intended correct places around. They will also gladly help you in writing down the essentials in Chinese language for you to show to the taxi guy or anybody else.

Will stay again!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to InterContinental Chongqing? Share your experiences!