“More suited to a 1* hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Scene Cafe

Scene Cafe
ChaoYang District Jianguomenwai Street 1, ZhongGuo Hotel 2 Floor, Beijing 100004, China (Guomao)
010-65052266
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #676 of 9,532 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, International
Neighborhood: Guomao
Neighborhood: Guomao
London, United Kingdom
“More suited to a 1* hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We weren't staying at this hotel, but ended up here for a lunch towards the end of our trip. The menu looked really interesting - pasta, pizzas, sandwiches etc., so we thought it would be good. The food itself wasn't too bad, but the service was so poor that I'm not sure there is even a word to describe it. I will go with horrific, non-existent and abysmal.
We ordered two club sandwiches and two pizzas from the "make your own" menu. One with tomato, mozzarella and ham, and the other with tomato, mozzarella, parmesan and arugula. Also 4 drinks.
After 15 minutes of nothing (there was one other table occupied in the entire restaurant) I said very loudly how nice it would be to get a drink. This sent our waitress scurrying off to get the drinks and coming back with them and a friend. Safety in numbers?
A further 20 minutes later we were served at last. The sandwiches were fine. One pizza was ok, but the arugula pizza had ham and sausage on it. We tried to explain it was a mistake and pointed to the ingredients list on the menu. We were told by our waitress that chorizo, arugula, sausage was ONE ingredient. We explained this wasn't the case and, even if it was, where was the chorizo on the pizza? She kept saying one ingredient, it's all one ingredient which is beyond ridiculous. My daughter chose a pasta instead and was told it would take 20 minutes if she didn't mind the wait. We didn't have a lot of choice, but given pasta takes 6 minutes to cook, and it was with a cream cheese sauce, 20 minutes seemed a little excessive. Little did we know it would turn out to be nearly 40.
We sat waiting and waiting and waiting, watching the two chefs re-arranging statues of fish on the buffet, then putting the ladles in order of size on the hanging racks, and finally moving wine bottles back and forth by a couple of inches to get just the right effect. I was literally about to storm the kitchen and cook it myself when it finally showed up. She said it tasted quite nice, but by then we were desperate to get out and back to our own hotel. Our one course lunch took almost two hours.
I totally understand that there is a language difficulty, but neither of our waitresses knew any English apart from ice and one ingredient. When they weren't sure what to do they did nothing instead, pretending it would go away.
Total waste of money, total waste of time and thank God we weren't actually staying there.
Take my advice and don't go in there.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Sydney NSW Australia
“Great variety of food at the breakfast buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

There was a great selection and variety of food at the breakfast buffet. Everything from pancakes and omelettes to the spicy Chinese pancakes. The fruit juice was very tasty, served with fruit floating in it, and there was a good selection of fresh fruit and cereals.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Everything but food is perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel is my the favorite in Beijing and everything but food is just so gorgeous and excellent. However, I am starting to avoid eat in hotel as its food getting worse and worse. Just 15 min ago I had a sicillian pizza and norwegian salmon at Scene cafe, however salmon was so-and-so, but pizza was just so awful and costed me 30 usd?

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Avoid the coffee shop (Scene), food quality and variety is poor. Service of cafe and hotel is average. Something is...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

Avoid the coffee shop (Scene), food quality and variety is poor. Service of cafe and hotel is average. Something is wrong with management?