“My Stay at the Double Happiness Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel

Save Saved
You added Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel to your Saves list
Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.37 Dongsi Sitiao, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Ranked #3 of 5,418 Hotels in Beijing
NYC
“My Stay at the Double Happiness Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel for 3 nights - the hotel is amazing and the staff is excellent. Vivian, Jasmine, and Jaclyn could not do enough for me and made sure all my travel needs were met. The staff is highly professional and all speak excellent English if language is your concern. I stayed in Room 66. The room is designed in a very traditional way making the overall hotel experience all the more enjoyable.

I will be traveling to Beijing again in the near future and will certainly be booking my stay at the hotel again.

Great Staff.

John Cavallo

Room Tip: Ask the staff.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
AUSSIE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

when we arrived at the hotel I thought to myself "God what have I done", the place looked awful, but from the moment we walked inside everything was great. The staff were friendly the rooms were spotless and the feel of the place was welcoming and cosy. We sat in the courtyard with our friends and felt right at home, very relaxing. The place is a little expensive but for the experience of staying in the Hutongs and feeling that you are right in the heart of Beijing China it is worth that extra money

Room Tip: We had the honeymoon room, bottom floor, perfect
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 8 nights, leaving on the 14th September. What a fantastic place it is. Reception staff were always friendly and helpful and well presented. Nothing was too much trouble for them. They were most knowledgeable and gave us some excellent dining and travel suggestions. Our room was beautifully decorated. The room was small (as advertised) - but you only sleep there anyway! Lovely hot water in the shower, aircon, complimentary water and Chinese tea and Nescafe coffee. Our bed was a king size, beautifully carved, with crispy white sheets of a high quality, and very comfortable indeed. The courtyard is decorated in a wonderful traditional fashion and lit with red lanterns at night. Breakfast was very good with an enormous selection . Dinners served in the pub area at night were also very tasty and of a high quality. We walked to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square, also to Wangfujing Street and to Sanlitun road where one can indulge in some serious shopping at the likes of Miu Miu, Christian Louboutin, Hermes etc! Wonderful! We travel extensively, and this lovely little hotel is straight up there with the many large 'chain' hotels that we usually stay in. A special thank you to Jaclyn, Jasmine and to Yan. You ladies are very special indeed, and your work ethic is second to none!. We will most certainly stay at the Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel if we come back to Beijing!

Room Tip: We had room 158 - great choice!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We cannot understand all the fantastic reviews about this hotel.
We booked the Wedding Suite which was a very, very small and very, very shabby room. It had a bed too small for two, a second bed, a little desk, a cupboard which was 20 cm deep with 3 hooks in it. There were 2 chairs and a little table too where we had to put our baggage because of the missing space in the "cupboard". So could not sit anywhere. The room had the windows and the door to the little courtyard with a rather transparent curtain. Outside the light was on during the whole night and other guest sat on the tables in the courtyard making much noise till midnight (Russians drinking and laughing, families with little kids crying permanently).The bathroom was 1 meter wide and very dark and shabby ( but clean).
Concerning the staff which others praise so much: we just asked them twice to order a Taxi for us. Both times we were told ( not very friendly) to go by foot because our destination was only two or three kilometers away. I really don't mind walking but searching a certain Restaurant ( which really was hidden and hard to find) in the dark in a foreign City was not joyful.
A big handicap of this hotel is the position in the middle of a hutong. No Taxi, no tuctuc wants to drive there. The hutongs are described so romantic, but in reality they are dirty and stinky and ugly.( nice to visit because of their historic importance, but not comfortable to live in)
It's absolutely no location for a good hotel! Besides the only thing of this hotel which reminds of a good Hotel is the price. Everything else is inferior.
For instance the breakfast: we are people who can eat everything, sweet, sour, spicy, continental, exotic... We like to taste everything. But in this hotel nearly nothing was eatable or drinkable.
We really cannot recommend this Hotel, stay away! The guests there are a certain type of people, former hippies, raggle-taggle
people. They fit to the hotel but intensify our Impression of the hotel.
If you search a nice and good hotel (you have to pay prices like for a nice and good hotel), don't go there! Your disappointment will be big! You spend much money for a very creepy and absolutely not at all romantic experience!

• Stayed September 2013
Hoi An
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I agonized over choosing a hotel in Beijing last April. I wanted to stay in the hutongs but knowledge of hutong geography was shaky. And it in the end threw something of a metaphorical dart and stayed at the Double Happiness - and I was charmed by the name. After my stay, yes, I was doubly happy true to the name. The hutongs are the place to stay. I am something of a keen photographer and I did not have to go anywhere but out the front door to find something to shoot. I could blend effortless into the streetscape. I did not feel like a tourist (yes of course I was but I felt like I was just a part of the scenery). So location was the first plus. The room as advertised as a something like "Chinese style' and it was. A raised platform bed underneath which there was a bar fridge that took me a day or two to discover. Everything was there I just sometimes I had to look as it was so neatly packaged away. The room was small but adequate. It felt snug in a chilly April. The hotel was a maze of passages which added to its charm - no long straight gloomy passage with room like number 14025 as in a big concrete and glass monolith. This was just a couple of stories and set around courtyards. There was also a rooftop terrace. The staff were so helpful and pleasant. The porter even organized to get me a Chinese SIM for my iPhone. Despite the shortness of my stay in Beijing, everybody made feel like I was part of the city. I do recommend the Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is exceptional value with an authentic feel. Located down a small alley it is well placed for the forbidden city and some of the better restaurants but you get a real insight into how the locals eat work and live but it did feel safe and secure (there is a police station nearby). The staff are helpful and speak good English. The rooms are well presented with pleasant touches such as plentiful tea, antique furniture and a comfortable bed with an ambundance of cushions and silks. You feel you are back in imperial china. The bar provides very good bar meals and is comfortable and welcoming. We felt this was a real oasis in our lovely but busy time in Beijing. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Its so reasonable why not splash out for the better rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is an excellent hotel. Rooms very nicely appointed, with a tea service & a computer. Authentic history to the place. Very nice to be in the hutong. Good location. Quite easy to walk to the Forbidden City. Close to the metro. Nice courtyard & garden. Very tasty breakfast, with a good assortment of choices. Enthusiastic staff. Stay here if you can

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel? Share your experiences!