“Double Happiness Courtyard, Beijing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel

You added Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel to your Saves list
Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.37 Dongsi Sitiao, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Ranked #4 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
“Double Happiness Courtyard, Beijing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

If everytime you travel you always stay in the local Hyatt or Marriott because you always know exactly what you are going get, then by all means, continue on. If on the other hand, you really like new experiences, getting to know the local neighborhoods away from the the everyday tourist traps and you want to experience the Real Beijing, then this is the place for you. Cab fare from the airport should be less than 160 rmb. When the cab pulls down the alley to the hotel, yes I said "alley", you will be 2nd guessing your decision. That will stop the minute you walk in and meet the staff. This building was once the residence of a Chinese scholar. It has beautiful small courtyards scattered through out. A small restaurant provides a nice breakfast every morning. Walking through the neighborhood rewards you with sights and smells of a working class Beijing neighborhood. We walked to the Palace Museum from here. Took and hour but not an awful walk. This is now my only hotel choice in Beijing. Try this once, you'll be back. You will have far more interesting stories to tell than those travelors at the Hyatt.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 158 which had the canopy bed and opened up onto the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our first 3 days in China were here, and now we'd not consider staying outside a hutong in Beijing (or at least some funky neighborhood). You've got a street aquarium vendor down the alley, all sorts of cool stuff. Fantastic, charming staff (esp Vivian and Moose), beautiful romantic rooms, great courtyard for relaxing, and terrific huge Chinese (and western) breakfast spread. (Warning: if you plan a vigorous wild great wall hike in 93F sun, do not load up on everything from the buffet, century eggs, etc. You can try the other stuff the next morning!)

If you carry a printout or card with address/map in chinese, taxis should be able to find it, but sometimes they won't (I think one couldn't read). Don't worry, you'll get there! If you have a phone and can call the hotel, put them on with the driver if he's being difficult. I just made a note of the nearest metro stop (to the SW, about 15 mins easy walk), which is a major intersection anyone can find. At worst you can get off there and walk. Look up and see Lassie keeping watch over one of the stores. Metro is easy and fun btw. (Also helped having stretch a leg guides both days--fantastic outfit.)

Our first dinner was at the Yunnan place down the street--very good, but I'm not sure how many locals eat there, if any. Accidentally walked into the Xinjiang (?) lamb-spine specialty place next door which looked more my style--well, not sure about spine--but not as good for the kiddo. Also walkable/easy taxi to Haidilao hotpot and da dong for duck (latter was underwhelming to me, but maybe b/c we arrived fairly late and were rushed; def neat atmosphere).

Personally, poking around the hutongs is more interesting than the forbidden city etc, which are neat but how many fancy buildings do you really need to see? "Yup, it's a big palace." People and surprise experiences are the best bit about travel imho, and you'll get a lot less of that in a luxury district hotel.

Room Tip: We had a wedding suite and a family suite--unless they were pulling our legs, they were the same thi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just back from a fantastic holiday in China. We were in Beijing for 3 days and stayed at the Double happiness courtyard hotel in Beijing. This was the first stop so we were pretty jet lagged, and we found the Double Happiness to be just a fantastic introduction to China. The rooms are around a courtyard and we recovered from our flights sitting in the sunshine in the peace of the courtyard. The rooms are Chinese style, very comfortable, free computer for your use, and free Wifi, free water, tea and coffee making facilities. We didn't eat here in the evening but we did have breakfast, and what a spread! There was everything you could possibly want - fruit, yoghurt, cereal, pastries and a lovely selection of Chinese fare including sweet and savoury food - all lovely. The staff are very friendly and helpful, always there with a smile. If you want a standard, box shaped international glossy hotel, don't come here. If you want to feel as if you have arrived in China, come here, relax and enjoy! The hotel is in a Hutong and there is life around the hotel, but we always felt safe and comfortable walking around even in the dark.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this fabulous Hutong courtyard hotel in June 2012. If you have any doubts about staying, don't! I have never felt so cared for in a hotel before. Nothing was out of the question with the staff - they surpassed being helpful! The tiny Chinese woman who greeted us carried all of our luggage upstairs to our rooms. My friend left her phone in the taxi and she managed to contact the driver and the phone was returned. Our quaint quiet room wasn't in the courtyard but upstairs to one side of the property. It suited friends sharing a room but when I return to Beijing with my partner, I shall stay in one of the more spacious courtyard rooms. My friend and I really enjoyed going onto the rooftop terrace sipping our G and T's in the evening, occasionally hanging out in the bar area and generally taking in the life of people living in this historic area. The staff organised our trip to Jinshanling, a recommended relatively quiet section of the wall and an evening visit to an acrobatic show. For the latter, the taxi didn't turn up so one of the staff personally escorted us to find alternative transport and onto the theatre! The Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel is one of my favourite places to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room surrounding the courtyard. Also, don't forget to check out the terrace - it's...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This hotel was wonderfully charming and had a very welcoming and comfortable atmosphere. Most of our interactions were with Jaclyn, and like previous reviewers we found her English to be excellent and her personally to be a joy. She was especially fun when being talked through how to mix a drink in the bar. We also enjoyed the zither playing and tea ceremony in the bar. The rooms were well appointed and clean, but there were a couple of small issues. Our daughter's room had a little bit of a sewer smell and our room had a shower that did not drain, such that water ran out and covered most of the bathroom floor. But even with these problems, we would stay there again, because this hotel just made us feel so comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

When the taxi was driving toward the hotel I felt like I was about to get conned and left in some random alleyway in beijing. Upon arrival I was still very cautious and thought we had the wrong place because everyone kept raving about it. Also this was my last stop in china and I had 4-5 star hotels in shanghai and Xi'an but wanted to get something different in beijing. Everything else aside, the staff were VERY VERY helpful, they knew me by name and greeted me so. The rooms were charming and the overall layout of the place felt like you were staying with a relative which was a very good thing but also burdensome at times for a solo young traveler. Also, calling for a cab was difficult if not planned beforehand.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hayward, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

It is difficult to adequately express in words how amazing this hotel in Beijing, China is... but I will try. First of of all, let me me say that I am well traveled and have stayed in luxurious hotels all over the world, but none come close to the charm and authenticity of Double Happiness. This is a hotel for an adventurer, for someone who wants to see the REAL CHINA, not some watered down experience of a high rise, pseudo-westernized hotel in the Chaoyang district.

The Double Happiness Hotel is indeed luxurious, and stunningly beautiful, but not in a stale, superficial way; it has real soul. I felt transported to the glory days of old China, but with the benefit of the best customer service and best housekeeping staff I have ever encountered, and of course cozy beds, clean rooms, and air conditioning. Like many people before me I must mention the wonderful woman at the front desk whom I now consider to be a great friend. Jaclyn has one of the the sweetest and most genuine personalities of anyone I have ever met. Her english is phenomenal and her interpersonal skills are impeccable. She was more than gracious and informative to me, she was genuinely kind and a joy to be around. Jaclyn even spent two of her days off with me, traveling with me to some lesser known places like Beijing World Park (A must see for those interested in bizarre amusement parks). Meeting Jaclyn was a highlight of my trip to China. I hope you can meet her too.

Another person I have to mention, like many before me is Moose. Moose is a spirited young man with great ambitions and excellent customer service skills. He also hung out with me after work and we went to see some cool local music. We got along like old friends and I can't tell you how comforting that is amidst the chaos of modern China. Moose even things like getting a taxi seem fun!

It was amazing to have a quiet, interesting place to stay with some of the coolest people I have ever met.I stayed for 10 nights and literally was in tears when I had to leave. That is how much the experience meant to me. Without hesitation, you should book a room at the Double happiness hotel and see what China is really all about!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel? Share your experiences!