“Truly Unique” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel

You added Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel to your Saves list
Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.37 Dongsi Sitiao, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)   |
Ranked #4 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
“Truly Unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at the Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel for four nights in May 2013. While finding the hotel down the alley (after midnight) was an experience the hotel is truly unique in terms of character and service. The level of service from arrival (thank you Sabrina) to departure was impeccable and rooms (while not large) authentic and full of character.

The hotel is located in the Hutong District and five minutes walk to Dongsi Subway Station. The easiest way to get around Beijing is the subway (directions are in english) and Dongsi Subway Station is only 2 - 3 stops from Tiananmen Square.

Fantastic - a unique experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lima, Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is an antique jewel completely renovated with taste and respect to the past. If you want to feel the great Chinese culture simply soak in and enjoy right there. This site offers the best without any compromise of comfort; to the contrary, this is a quiet oasis beside the Forbidden City. You can have a comfortable bed, and pleasant bathroom, all amenities and still feel to be part to the court of the last emperor.
In Beijing, you have two choices: you can whether rest in a standard 4 or five stars hotel and bring your culture to China, or you can go this wonderful place and feel, taste, enjoy the best of China, assimilating new impressions (purpose of a trip) and start right away a great voyage.
The only funny thing about this Hotel is the name “Double Happiness," you will understand this incongruity when you meet the staff. I have never met people so friendly, I guess to have a smile like this you need to be born with. There are not only funny and happy, they are a necessity for your trip to China because they will prepare your trip day by day and in China, you need this kind of help.
If you do not like it, I will pay you back, but here it’s not about paying, it’s about making happiness yours… ant their a little.. double happiness.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Tucked away in an alleyway district the approach to the hotel can be a bit unnerving for the unprepared, but the most wonderful experience awaits you. This is a stunning hotel with wonderful, helpful, caring staff.

Don’t expect a glitzy hotel will all mod cons. This is an authentic Chinese hotel, dressed up for the tourist trade, but nonetheless it provides a great experience. The rooms are interesting, with lovely details in the interior décor, the bathroom is functional and clean. The bed is comfortable and furniture is old with character. The courtyards are lovely and we wished the weather had been better so that we could have sat out more.

The breakfast selection was amazing – Chinese and western foods. It was kept topped up and the hot custard tarts that came from the kitchen each morning were wonderful. Not only was the range and freshness of the food excellent, the buffet was kept topped up. The staff deserves huge congratulations on their service and standards.

We ate in the hotel in the evening. We would, like some other reviewers, have liked to be able to sit at a table for our meal, but in armchairs from a coffee table was OK. When we were there, it seemed as if they were slightly overwhelmed by the number of guests staying in to eat and by 8:30-9:00 the bar was full and guests had to be turned away. There was a bit of a wait for the food, but it was worth the wait - very good food at reasonable prices. Once again the bar staff were lovely – friendly, professional and interested.

The reception staff/concierge were excellent - really friendly and helpful. They made us feel like valued friends rather than passing guests.

This hotel is absolutely wonderful and I hope this alleyway district will survive redevelopment. It shows Chinese hospitality to its best and is a real credit to the Country. Go with an open mind – don’t expect a Western hotel and you will be delighted.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Sorry if long..copied from my blog! I stayed May 2013.

This 3* is rated No.1 in Beijing on Trip Advisor, I can see why. Yes, it may not have the luxurious facilities and plush surroundings of some but it has plenty of character and impeccable service. It's located in a Hutong near Dongsi subway station. Finding it is an experience.

Leave Dogsi at exit B (thus avoiding the manic road junction too), go diagonally across the square to the exit, take the 4th alley on the right (the 1st being the one running alongside the square barrier). Once at the 4th alley it's a good few minutes stroll on your left.

If arriving during the day time you may well walk past a seller on the corner who has rabbits, turtles & fish...and I'm not sure they are pets! You'll no doubt be thinking "what have I let myself in for here" but it's a very safe street and you won't feel threatened, even at night. It's paved so you can roll your bags if needed (not all taxis will go down the alley, unsurprisingly).

You're greeted with beaming smiles at reception by staff who speak excellent English. I was able to check in early without issue (though during the peak summer months that may not be the case) and was shown to my room. Id actually been given a free upgrade as a better room was available, sweet! A quick orientation of how things worked etc, including the decent air con system, and I was left to settle.

The room is full of character and I guess it classes as Boutique. It looked authentic, if that makes sense. I'd heard a lot of stories about the beds being really hard but I found them ok. Certainly softer than what I'm on now. There's complimentary tea and coffee/bottled water, a desktop PC with desk and a digital safe (though that's not bolted down?). It's not a massive room, but it is sufficient for what you need it for. It was clean and isn't that what we look for first? The shower had good pressure, temperature and a large shower head.

Breakfast was included and it contained a mix of local and some more continental items. It was ok but I didn't really try much of the local food. I tended to stick with bacon, frankfurters and the excellent pastry selection. Tea, coffee and juice also available.

They run tours from the hotel and their Mutianyu Great Wall tour was decent value. 280Y for 3 hours on the wall, an English speaking guide, hotel pick up on air conditioned bus, Great Wall entrance fee, Chinese style lunch, a visit to the underground palace (though reviews of this aren't great) and clearly states no shopping time. Though I obviously took the solo option, but I'd have done this of I was confident of the travel arrangements.

I had a few drinks on the bar one night and again the service was friendly, prices were OK for a hotel. Never had dinner so can't comment on that.

Check out was painless and they kept hold of my luggage for me so I as I had a night train.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely. Don't be put off by the location, I think I paid just over £50 a night..worth the money. Deserving of its number one Trip Advisor status. I do wonder what the locals think of the foreigners walking down their street to stay there, and what they would say if they found out it was rated so highly.. Oh..and I was given a tin of tea as a leaving present!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed here in November 2012, a choice made based on the reviews here and the desire to not stay in a more soulless international hotel. On arrival the staff were friendly and helpful and we got shown to our lovely room on the second courtyard. It was like the pictures but they are small rooms with small (for a hotel) double beds. The mattresses are firm Chinese mattresses and we did find them a bit uncomfortable.
The bar area is lovely and relaxing and the Chinese wine on sale very palatable. However, after eating there the first two nights we found the food too heavy for us and went out to eat.
The location is great and we walked, took the metro and also used cabs to see the sights we wished to view.
We booked a trip to see the Great Wall but it was cancelled due to the snow on the roads and the reception staff REALLY wanted us to go on another but we didn't want to go on the one tour that was still running and this caused a little bit of friction though they did give us a lovely tin of tea as a present the next time we went through reception! All in all we enjoyed the hotel as an experience and would recommend it for a day or two but I wouldn't suggest it for a longer trip like we had (5 nights).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My three sisters and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during our recent trip to Beijing. It was wonderful. We had read the reviews so we were prepared when the taxi driver drove us down the long alley on our way to the hotel. I was glad that I had read about this because I may have been alarmed if I had not been prepared. The hotel is located in the center of a Chinese hutong. We felt very comfortable walking around the neighborhood. We enjoyed watching daily Chinese life. The hotel is in a good location. The main sites are a short taxi ride or subway ride away.
This hotel is very unique. When you are outside of your room, It has an "open air" concept. The rooms are traditional Chinese. They are also very clean and have all of the amenities that you would need. The beds are very comfortable and the bathroom is sufficient. The shower has ample space with good water pressure. The air conditioner works well.
The staff at the hotel go out of their way for the guests. I had the pleasure of working with Jaclyn (speaks great English), Moose (very comical), Nancy and Vivian. They always had a smile on their face and were always concerned with making sure we had all of our needs met.
The breakfast was good. THere are lots of options.
I would recommend this hotel. It was a great experience. I would stay again if I returned to Beijing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had a great stay here--beautiful rooms and courtyard, great breakfast, fascinating location in hutong. One evening they had beautiful music on an ancient Chinese instrument and a traditional tea ceremony in the bar area. Others have noted the excellent and friendly staff--our example of their great attitude is one time we had a problem catching a taxi on the street during rush hour. We mentioned this when we returned to the hotel and one of their staff walked to the end of the hutong alley with us and spent about 10 minutes flagging down a taxi for us. Other times transportation was fine--an easy walk to metro, or can call cab to hotel ahead of time.

Very safe neighborhood as well at all times of day/night, although you may pause initially at seeing the hutong alley where it is located. Really a fascinating glimpse of everyday life there.

Room Tip: If you have more than 2 travelers/family members, the "wedding suite" is a good choice--be...