We (couple) stayed at the Double Happiness for three nights in January 2013, at the end of a Transsiberian trip. Basically, the hotel has everything in ambience and comfort you can wish for:
- it's in a Hutong, an old quarter with traditional architecture. Lovely.
- While the rooms are very big, the hotel itself is kind of rambling: two small pretty courtyards, stairs here and there, you walk around many corners, and our room had a beautiful little terrace - too bad it was Winter...
- Chinese interior, but important: not that it feels artificially packed with cheap stuf, but natural
- Many nice little details that make you feel good - nice wooden key chains, some acheological artefacts in the yards, a funny, very special fish in an aquarium in the bar, old style telephone in the room (1920s), etc.
- The staff is great, super helpful and nice.
- Beijing's important sites (Tienanmen et al.), subway, all styles of food from traditional cheaper restaurants to expensive, all in walking distance
- great breakfast
No need to mention that it was spotless, etc. blabla...
We stayed in another Beijing hotel (Fairmont) for the last two nights. I will just remember the Double Happines, though. In fact, it was not only my favourite hotel of the Transsiberian trip, it's among my favourites worldwide.
Only negative points, which don't influence my rating: in the bar I felt mostly unattended, and just like all along our trip, it was a smoker's bar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Living in the real heart of the city, you have the chance to witness the daily life of Chinese people. Living in the courtyard house with over 500 year's history, you are closer to those ancient Chinese stories. Our hotel is suitable for culture explorers & mind-peace seeker. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard Beijing