“Great food strange service-atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dadong Roast Duck (Dongsi)

Dadong Roast Duck (Dongsi)
1-2 Nanxincang Guoji Dasha, 22A Dongsishitiao, Dongcheng district, Beijing 100007, China (Beijing Workers' Sports Complex)
010-51690329,010-51690328
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 9,425 restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese, Beijing Specialties
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Description: Datong Roast Duck Restaurant's well decoration and restaurant environment has owned itself the titles: Best Beijing Duck, Outstanding for Impressing Visitors and Best Restaurant of the Year (Chinese) in 2009.
Houston, Texas
“Great food strange service-atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We wanted to try the famous roasted duck so head out to DaDong. First, we went through trouble to make reservations, we went at around 7PM on a wednesday night. There were maybe 5 or 6 other tables in the large dining room. I was a bit thrown off by the service and atmosphere. The rather large beverage list is thrust in front of you the second you sit down. I realize now that this is the style of service in China, but the server hovers over you, looking annoyed that you haven't ordered your drink. I wanted to look over the wine list but felt very rushed. While this was happening my wife orders the duck. I order a martini, because it was the first thing I saw and wanted the server away from me so I could relax for a second. one minute later the duck arrives and is carved into small razor thin slivers table side. This took around 10 minutes. My drink came, then the accompaniments for the duck. small crepe like pancakes, sugar, a sweet thick soy, pickled garlic, chilis, and several other things. The duck was very good, the server showed us to dip the skin only parts of the duck into the sugar. This part melted in your mouth with a sweet fatty duck flavor.. incredible. Other then that the food was great, I wanted another drink, but the server never came back.

Visited March 2013

81% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
“Sensational Peking (Roast) Duck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I adore Peking Duck and stumbled across this restaurant after a recommendation from our hotel. It was indeed sensational, beautifully roasted and carved at the table, with all the trimmings - one of the great things in the world to eat. Service however was a little erratic; twice other dishes we ordered went to other tables, but this was addressed very quickly. Excellent value for beautiful food.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Duck, duck..... Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Many will say try the duck but I would say otherwise. Upon sitting down at the table we we were overrun with questions and menus. We chose the duck and were not impressed. Dry, flavourless duck served with no style or flair. Dishwater soup and off-the-shelf sauces are all part of the average experience. If this was your first Beijing duck then at least you are starting towards the bottom.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire
“Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Really busy need to book, it's full of local people so must be good, definately great food, great service, very friendly staff and the best duck ever.

Visited March 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Beijing Duck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Yes. I have return to this restaurant for their Peking Duck. I was not disappointed. I wish to say, the food quality is good and not cheap but worth the money spent.
Make sure you have a reservation, otherwise you will have a very long wait.
I have Beijing friends with me for dinner and all enjoyed the food there.
Do not be afraid to order many dishes, you can always have take away. The take away containers are proper good quality containers.

• Visited March 2013