“STAY HERE” 5 of 5 stars

No.85 Nanlougu Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China (Houhai)   |
Ranked #4 of 270 Specialty lodging in Beijing
“STAY HERE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Wow, what a great hostel! The area is so alive with restaurants and shops plus they have so many different tours you can take! I love all the writing all over the walls in the common room from so many people that have stayed here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great place to stay in Beijing! Located in an area with a lot of shops and restaurants and a big market. Breakfast is free! And very nice. We took the 6 km trip to the Great Wall through the hostel which was beautiful and quit cheap. Double room is perfect size.

• Stayed March 2013
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

As the previous reviewer, I did not stay at the hostel but booked the "Mutianyu Great Wall Fun Trip". You can sign up online (http://www.backpackingchina.com/tripDetail.asp?Id=22&tId=2) and are expected to confirm your reservation the day before by phone. Instead of calling, I just went to the hostel and paid the 280 yuan for the trip. The price includes the entrance fee to the Great Wall and a traditional Chinese lunch, but the cable car to the top of the wall and drinks at the lunch are optional.

In contrast to the previous reviewer, I thought the trip was excellent. We left at the front of the hostel 10 minutes later than planned as we had two wait for two guests. The drive to the Great Wall took about 2 hours due to heavy traffic. It is true you need to bring your own bottles of water as there are none on the bus, but I expected as much. During the drive, the guide told us a bit about the history of the Great Wall but not much more. If you easily get bored on a 2 hour trip, bring something to do.

When we arrived, the guide showed us the options to get up to the Wall including taking the cable car up and the Toboggan slide down. I think the latter was really fun to do, as much as hiking the Great Wall itself. A single cable car ticket to Tower 6 is about 50 yuan. A roundtrip ticket including the Toboggan is 80 yuan. If you feel like taking the cable car only, you can taking it up to Tower 6 and down from Tower 16, but you have to buy two single tickets at the entrance ticket booth of each cable car station (the two cable car lines are operated by two separate companies).

Lunch was severed at 2 pm at a Chinese restaurant that was under construction. There was noise of cutting, sawing and hammering everywhere but it soon stopped when we started eating. I thought the lunch was pretty decent with 10 different dishes placed on a rotating glass plate at the center of the table. Tea was included but other drinks like beer (20 yuan) or mineral water (10 yuan) were extra. There was plenty of food for our group.

After an hour or so, we left the restaurant and headed back to Beijing for a final visit to the Olympic Park. This time the drive took about 1.5 hour although traffic was heavy as well as we approached Beijing. At the park, I decided to stay a little longer than the 30 minutes allocated and took the metro back to my hotel.

In contrast to what you might expect from a "Backpackers Trip" to the Great Wall, the average age of my fellow travelers ranged from the early 30's to late 50's coming from the US, Europe, and South America. I had a good time chatting to my fellow travelers and sharing stories about our travel adventures.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I did not stay in the hostel, but booked through them for the Great Wall Fun tour. I've been on a lot of tours in Asia and feel like I can calibrate my expectations appropriately, but I was very disappointed by this tour. We left the hostel on time, around 8.30am; after about five minutes of driving, the bus pulls over and the guide tells us there is another person coming to join who will be there in five minutes. No problem, we think.

An hour later (literally) we are still sitting there. It's not until another guest starts to talk about getting a refund on the trip that the guide suddenly decided it's time to get going.

This meant that we were an hour off on the itinerary and hit a LOT of traffic and ate a very late lunch (around 2pm). I was shocked that we didn't even get a bottle of water - the tour should advertise that you should bring plenty of water since it's really expensive at the Wall. I enjoyed seeing the wall itself, but I thought having an English guide meant we would get much more history and information than we did. Basically he just walked us up, bought our tickets (but the ticket to the cable car is NOT included - that's another thing the hostel should do - make it very clear how EXPENSIVE it is to take the cable car up!!) and then we were on our own.

We hit rush hour on the way back as well, of course. By the time we got to the Bird's Nest I just hopped on the subway, not keen to stay on the tour any longer.

For a solo traveler looking to go to the wall, this is a fairly economical choice for a non-exercise intensive tour (about $45 a person). However, if I were traveling with a group or a family, I would definitely look into booking a cab or car out there, since those tend to run for $100 for the whole car and you'll have the same amount of guidance as we did.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I traveled with my mum last december'12 and the experience was just amazing.The hotel would recommend good cultural shows and helps you discover beijing a little bit more.the tour packages are reasonable since beijing is a big country and the tourist spots and attractions are quit far from each other..absolutely hassle free and near the city area..Would be back again!thank you!!!:)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Staying at a very good location, just 5mins away from the underground. The room is good with a fast heating machine. Poor internet and WiFi.. some of the staffs is not interest to answer your questions..

• Stayed January 2013
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at this hostel for 3 nights in June 2012. We made a last minute booking while on the road, I would definitely suggest booking a couple of weeks in advance, as when we called there wasn't much choice left. My husband and I would have liked a double room, but we ended up in dorms since that was all that was available.

Our absolute favorite thing about this hostel is the location, wow! It's a very central location located on one of Beijing's famous Hutongs, and it is one of the best locations to stay at in Beijing if you are there to go site seeing. There are plenty of places to eat, lots of shops, and bustling nightlife on the street out front. It's also quite close to the Forbidden City ...

The rooms were VERY clean, probably the cleanest rooms we encountered in our travels throughout China. The only thing we didn't like is our room didn't have a window. We didn't spend much time in the room though so it didn't matter, it was just nice to come back to a clean room every night.

With your stay you get a complementary breakfast at the cafe next door. It was fairly basic breakfast - toast, scrambled eggs, fruit, coffee ... but it was definitely good to get you going.

We booked a tour with the hostel - the Great Wall Hiking trip. Absolutely fantastic - they take you to un-restored portions of the Wall and you do a 7 km hike. I would not suggest this if you are not physically in shape, but we really enjoyed it, as it was a portion of the Wall that was not touristy and our 30 person group was the only group on that section of the Wall. The hostel also provides round trip bus transportation.

Room Tip: Book early in order to get the room you want, this place is popular!