“Great Location, Great Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Forbidden City Beijing

You added Days Inn Forbidden City Beijing to your Saves list
Days Inn Forbidden City Beijing
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Nanwanzi Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing 010006, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #287 of 5,423 Hotels in Beijing
3.5 of 5 stars 600 Reviews
Orlando, FL
“Great Location, Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

This hotel was in a great spot. Near Forbidden City and a walk to restaurants and shopping. Near a subway stop too which is not a bad way to get around. Stayed in basement room. Very clean, nice basic amenities.
My only complaint was that some people were loading bricks on to a truck at 4 in the AM and it was impossible to sleep that night. The staff didnt do anything about it. Maybe they couldn't.
They had a decent buffet breakfast but overpriced by Beijing standards. Overall, assuming the contruction nearby is done now I would recomment the place.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

This was our first accommodation in a month long travel in China. We booked it direct via the Days Inn website and checked where it is on their map, although it took us a long time to find it as we didn't expect the roads to be so far apart in China (everything in China is big!). The location was great though as it was a street away from Frobidden City on one side and the Shopping Street (Wangfu Jin?) on the other side. Both around 5 mins walk. We stayed at the lower priced room which is on the basement level of a separate building so if you want light, you might want to pay a bit extra. There were construction noises every morning as they seemed to be just digging the front area of building for no reason - but apart from that, the hotel is located off the main road so it is quiet-ish. The room was ok with aircon - our first room air con broke and they changed us into another room after the DIY man couldn't fix it. The bathroom is separated by sliding door so not much privacy but the interior was nice.

Staff at reception couldn't speak much English but that seems to be the norm every where in China still.
Had dinner 1 night in their restaurant - nothing to rave on about.

Overall, it was good price for the location as it right next door to the main attractions in Beijing and subway was close by.

• Liked — Location - close to Beijin's msot famous attraction - Forbidden City
  • Disliked — Everything else was 'just' ok which i guess is not such a bad thing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We stayed a week in this hotel and were very surprised about the design, equipment and cleanness of it. It would be a great choice in any major European cities - not to talk about the outstanding quality it represented in this geographical context. It is located perfectly in the center, still very quite.

• Liked — Design
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
vickye
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

I spent five nights here in May 2008 and was very impressed - quite possibly the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, and for the cheapest I've ever paid too.

We booked through hotelclub.net as it was the only site we could find with availability for this particular hotel for the dates we wanted. In the small print it said if we checked in late, the room wouldn't be held for us. Realising we'd be checking in some time around midnight we tried to sort this out with hotelclub who basically didn't care and told us to contact the hotel ourselves directly, which, in hindsight, given the level of english spoken by the hotel staff, probably would've caused more problems.

Anyhow we turned up at about midnight and checked in without any problems - the reception staff were all very friendly and helpful. As we were expecting our onward train tickets to be delivered sometime during our stay, they were very helpful taking messages for us from the train company and then holding the tickets for us at reception when they did finally turn up. They only speak very basic english but compared with everyone else in Beijing they're practically fluent.

The room was of a good size, very clean and to a high standard - quite boutiquey like other people have said. Very nice bathroom with gorgeous walk in shower and a whole range of complimentary toiletries from soaps, toothbrushes and intrigueingly named "ladies bag". They also provide slippers - they're in the drawers in the wardrobe which was tucked away behind the bathroom door. If i hadn't read about them on here I never would've thought to look for them. There's a desk with small kettle, coffee and tea and mineral water, and a flat screen tv with plenty of channels.

The only mildly annoying things about the room was that the bed (yes, quite hard) was pushed against a wall so if there's two of you, one needs to crawl in from the bottom. Also, this amazingly done room didn't have a window. Not exactly a necessity but it meant we didn't really know what time it was in the morning, or what the weather was doing.

Breakfast is an extra 60 RMB and really not worth the price, even if you're like me and have a funny thing for hotel buffet breakfasts. Many chinese dishes, some baked beans (hard and strangely shaped in a watery sauce), breads and pastries, and a man at an omlette station who happily fried me two eggs in lots of oil. We didn't get there til about 9:30am and by that time the place was a mess - food everywhere and a lot of things had run out. The shopping centre just across from the hotel on Wangfujing Street has a basement food court, and there are plenty cheaper breakfast options there - a supermarket, cafes and a starbucks. (hint: if you're leaving early, don't count on the supermarket - it doesn't open til 9:30am despite it being right next to a rush hour subway stop)

As others have mentioned, taxi driver's arent familliar with the hotel, but they all know the Beijing Hotel which is around the corner. As the hotel is set in it's own courtyard, you have to walk out onto the street to hail a taxi, although the hotel staff don't mind doing this for you, even in the pouring rain. On the really rainy days they even had umbrellas for you to borrow - for free as well. Also in the reception is a board where they post the times for the flag raising and lowering in Tianamen Square, as well as the weather forecast for the next day.

Great location too, about a 10 min walk from Tianamen Square, Wangfujing Street and the nearest subway stop. Would definitely recommend.

• Liked — Very good standard overall for the price
  • Disliked — No window!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

After a business trip Beijing, I wanted to stay a few more days to do some sight seeing, but couldn't afford the business hotel rates. This hotel was a terrific bargain! It's not luxurious, but the location and price are right!

I decided on one of the cheapest rooms on the basement level. I had read ahead of time that these only had the tiny basement window, so I wasn't surprised by it. If I hadn't known that ahead of time, I probably would have been upset. I went with the lower rates so I could spend more money on touring. The sheets were clean and new (I'm picky about that) and the towels were clean. The carpet had some stains, but slippers are provided. The bathroom was very clean, but needed some new caulking to make it look cleaner.

The staff speaks good and is very service oriented. They very helpful and friendly.

The internet is cheap to use (10 RMB for 30 minutes) and the tvs in the room are quite nice. Lots of channels are available.

The location is the real reason I booked this hotel. It is walking distance to the Forbidden City and big shopping streets as well as lots of restaurants. I was so happy I made the choice to stay here.

I booked a Hutong tour through the front desk. A taxi picked me up and brought me to the Drum Tour. A guide then accompanied me on a pedicab tour of the Hutong and we stopped at two homes. I was happier doing that tour through the desk rather than negotiate that on my own. For other tours, I booked a personal tour guide so I could go on my own pace.

• Liked — Location!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I loved this hotel. It's 3 min walk to Forbidden city and 5 min walk to the main shopping street.
The room was spacious and very modern and clean. Staff was friendly and helpfull.
The hotel is not big, boutique. Hightly recommend it to everyone.
You can book directly, remember to negotiate the price!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

My experience with the Days Inn Forbidden City was excellent. I stayed there while on a trip in February, and highly recommend it if you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel with decent amenities in a great location. I arrived late at night after a delayed flight, but the cab driver did not have any problem at all finding the hotel, and I did not have any problems checking in. Do be sure to print out the address in Chinese characters before leaving, as most cab drivers do not speak English. You can copy and paste it from the Chinese version of the website. Many of the hotel staff also did not speak much English, but there was always one person at the front desk who was proficient, so it was never really a problem for me.
This hotel is far from luxurious, but was clean, comfortable, had free high-speed internet, and is in a fabulous location -- walking distance to most major tourist attractions. The staff are also very helpful -- they called a cab to come take me back to the airport when I was leaving, and helped me with daily itineraries and booking a trip to the Great Wall. My only complaints are as follows:
1. The hotel seemed to be under construction while I was there, which caused a lot of noise, dust, etc. Not a huge deal but kind of annoying.
2. I booked a trip to the Great Wall through them, and decided on the cheapest option -- a small group tour which was about $25 for the full day and included lunch. They told me it would not include the tourist trap diversions my guide book warned me about , side trips to a jade factory and a "traditional Chinese medicine" demonstration -- scams, essentially. But, it did. This was frustrating as it detracted from the experience of the Great Wall, and if I had known we would be taken to these places, I would have chosen a different option. I wish that the Days Inn worked with a more legitimate tour agency. But that is my only major complaint and would still recommend that people stay here -- just not use them when booking tours!

• Liked — Price, Location, Staff Friendliness
  • Disliked — Tour agency association
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Forbidden City Beijing? Share your experiences!