“A tale of two hotel experiences” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Wanda Beijing

You added Sofitel Wanda Beijing to your Saves list
Sofitel Wanda Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.93 Jianguo Road, Tower C Wanda Plaza, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022, China (Guomao)   |
Ranked #47 of 5,465 Hotels in Beijing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Olympia, WA
“A tale of two hotel experiences”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

First, the bad, then the good.
At checkout we were shocked to find a charge of 98 (could have been 96) RMB for a bottle of Evian water. We were told that water in the room was for drinking or brushing teeth and that is what we used it for. Come to find out that there was a small tag on the bottle, facing backwards, in light pink, with white reversal saying that the bottle cost "x". $16.50 for a bottle of water????!!! I bought water on the streets of Beijing for $.50 (3 RMB). Secondly, we ate the buffet dinner in the hotel one night and it was horrid. Not just bad, horrid. Ended up eating 3 pieces of cool, flat pizza. My wife had something similar. The desert was good. I didn't ask what the buffet cost before hand (my mistake), but was shocked to find it cost 844 RMB for two people (approx. $140). I discussed this concern with the front desk staff at check out and they were sympathetic. The restaurant manager came and expressed his dismay at our experience and he did give us a box of lovely mooncakes. A nice gesture. Nonetheless, I do not think the charge for Evian water is realistic. Let me also say that I found Evian water for less than half their cost in the Xi' an Hilton and the Shangri-La, Pugdong, Shanghai. The Sofitel needs to address this issue.

The good news. It is a lovely hotel and without exeception every person that we dealt with at the hotel was first rate. Could not ask for better. The room was lovely, the location was perfect in CBD, and the breakfast buffet in the same room where the bad dinner buffet was served, was wonderful (4 days worth). Would I return to the Sofitel? Yes I would. The facility is very good, and the people who work there make it a pleasure to be a customer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Betty L, Assistant Quality Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Rogerjm,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.
Thank you your suggestions as well as your recognition.
Regarding the Evian water, we do charge for it as we provide 2 bottles of free Ice Dew in the bathroom; however, we should have explained it clearer to you in advance. Also please rest assured that I will share your concern on the price to our management team for reference. Regarding your dinner experience, I wish to apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I will deliver your message to related department head for further investigation and improvement.
At the same time, I am glad to see your recognition on our facilities and our staff service. I hope we can have you stay with us again in the near future.
Betty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Maastricht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I had the pleasure to spend a few nights at the Sofitel Beijing and was impressed. As a frequent business traveler I am not often wowed but every once in a while you feel truly special as a guest and this was one of these experiences. A handwritten welcome note, a forgotten item returned to my room (impressive detective work), complimentary shoe polishing service, polished hotel staff and excellent food. Chapeau.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Florisse,
Glad to see your comments on TripAdvisor.
Thank you for the recognition on our hotel. I will share your feedback with all our staff which I am sure will serve as an encouragement to all of them.
I hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.
Life is Magnifique!
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at 3 Sofitel hotels during our time in China and we can honestly say that the Sofitel Wanda Beijing was by far the best! Beautifully decorated and modern throughout the entrances, rooms and bars. The pool area was relaxing, clean and well equipped in the changing rooms with complimentary toiletries. The concierge are very helpful, especially Harry who arranged a driver for us to visit the Great Wall in Jinshanling, aided us with restaurant and taxi bookings. But what was really nice was the personal touches such as remembering our name and having a pride in his job to provide the very best service. The hotel is close to the metro station and it is easy to get to sights such as the forbidden city and temple of heaven. We would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Beijing and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Tom-and-Tamsyn,
Very happy to read your comments on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will definitely share your feedback with all our staff which I am sure will serve as an encouragement to all of them.
Looking forward to your next stay.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Great and impressive building, impeccable service and nice and quiet rooms.
In Beijing CBD this is ideally located for most of the business travellers.
Although all the staff does not master the English language, they are attentive to details and are listening.
Impressive choice of restaurants too, nice bar and lounge are. They have a chauffeur service from and to the airport too.
Recommended!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear ClubGGG,
Glad to receive your comment on TripAdvisor.
I am happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your recognition as well as the suggestion for English skill improvement with all our staff.
Hope we can have you stay with us again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Yes, it is in a good location on Metro line 1. Yes, the rooms are nicely decked out ready for wedding reception guests. Yes, the wifi works most of the time. Yes, there is a pretty good gym. Oh, and yes the food is good.

But its twice the price of other equally good hotels in Beijing. It is next to one of the noisiest main roads in Beijing. The room service menu is a rip off. My tip is go out of the back of the hotel, turn left and walk for one minute and on the left is a Walmart. There you can get great fresh melons, grapes and pineapples for almost nothing.

The only thing that might impress the gullible is the typical enormous foyer. But once you've seen one you know that this is all facade. Its a fantasy, there is no real character or personality. I wish they could keep to the ideals of the founders of Accor and provide the best French style and culture.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road. The exec floor rooms are better.