“Luxury Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Wanda Beijing

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Wanda Beijing to your Saves list
Sofitel Wanda Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.93 Jianguo Road, Tower C Wanda Plaza, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022, China (Guomao)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #43 of 5,216 hotels in Beijing
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
“Luxury Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Very Good Service, Convenient Location. Scrumptious Breakfast. Friendly, courteous and Helpful Staff. Push button curtains throughout. All is all, excellent value for your money. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cedric B, Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear JFP_CN,
Happy to read you enjoyed your Stay at the Sofitel Wanda Beijing. Merci.
Magnifique Festive Season!

1,040 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My stay was 8th through 12th October and 27th October 2012.

I have been involved in one way or another in the hospitality industry since 1980. Those who know me would say I am not given to praise and the highest adulation I usually give is “it’s fine”. That’s true, I tend to concentrate on the weaknesses because these are the areas that I know can be attended to.

However, for the Sofitel Wanda Beijing, I need to make an exception and say freely that it is a ‘great’ hotel, fully representing the very best of Accor. When the selection of hotel was made for Beijing I was wholly unaware that this Sofitel would be in my experience the best of Sofitel in China and in fact the flagship in the Sofitel fleet.

It is not that one could not find faults if one wanted to but that they are surely insignificant in the light of the overwhelming positive experience that one gets at this hotel. It truly stands out as any beacon. I can’t mention all the positive attributes but it would be remiss not to mention some of the highlights.

Firstly, I was welcomed by the Hotel Manager, Cedric Besler and Ada Jian, Front Office Manager. Both have a perfect command of English. English in fact is more than adequately spoken by almost all the staff I had contact with, whether it’s the waiters in the restaurants, the chefs, the concierge, the bell boys. Not having to struggle with my inadequate mandarin was a relief. I truly was able to relax within hours of arrival.

I was fortunate to enjoy a Sofitel Suite and Horizon club facilities. The bedroom and study are large and well appointed. There is a 2nd toilet off the study. The rain shower was the largest I have seen and I am sure 20 people could fit in that shower room without touching elbows.

Second point of note is the attention to detail. I love that housekeeping actually take notice of the “Do not disturb” sign. The towels are fluffy and feel luxurious. No worn out fraying towels as seen in other properties.

Third “mon chapeau” to the chefs. I was pleased that Mr Marko Rankel, the Head Chef, introduced himself whilst I was breakfasting in the VIC but really the food speaks for itself. The range is similar to that found in some other Sofitel’s but the quality is unsurpassed. Whether one tastes the cake they made for me, or the croissants at breakfast, or the chocolate eclairs at happy hour in the club lounge, everything is perfect. Frankly, I have not tasted better macaroons in Paris or Amiens. How this Sofitel achieves this standard in China is frankly a little wonder and should surely be shared with other Group hotels. I tried my best in the three weeks in China to only eat authentic Chinese food in restaurants that spoke no English, Chinese only menus and often with no pictures. I succumbed for the 2nd time on the last night in China and eat at the Sofitel's Le Pré Lenôtre. I was dubious and partly convinced that this was going to be another “Western nightmare”. I was wrong. This was a first class meal. The price was not inexpensive but I did not begrudge the price because it truly was as good a meal as I have eaten for example in Beaune, France and about the same cost. In this restaurant English was spoken perfectly, food perfectly prepared and expertly served. My thanks to Frank Yan, Le Pre Assistant Manager. Historically I avoid hotel food because it always fails in some way but I will now review future hotel offerings in the hope of a similar experience.

Fourthly, if I had concerns about concierge and front desk services from reading some of the reports in Tripadvisor, I can assure the reader that they were not found wanting in my visit. Alex Li, Chief Concierge kindly produced a brochure on local restaurants. Neither is air conditioning turned off as in some parts of China under Government edict or by hotel choice. On my 2nd visit the speed of check-in was frankly lightning.

Lastly, and my no means least, mention must be made of the staff and services provided in the Club lounge. My thanks in particular to Kevin Wang, Butler. The happy hour snacks are nearly a meal in themselves. The quality of each mouthful is simply devine. Take the dim sum. Yes other Sofitel and hotels may offer these as snacks but the quality in Sofitel Wanda is unsurpassed. The staff are extremely attentive and frankly they went beyond the call of duty to deliver a superb experience.

Overall experience was most excellent and I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and particularly to the most demanding guests. This is perhaps one of only a handful of hotels in Eastern China that truly can accommodate the most fastidious guest.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Clive G,
Was a "plaisir" to welcome you at the Sofitel Wanda Beijing and happy to read you appreciate our passion for excellence.
On behalf of all Sofitel Wanda Beijing Ambassadors wish you a Magnifique Festive Season!
hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

As usual the team's professionalism and kindlyness make your stay a real pleasure. The rooms are good, west wing ones are the best for he view. Good choise of restaurant even if the buffet is pricey (but could it be different with free flow imported ousters??).
Location very convenient from/ to airport. Around nice shopping malls.

• Stayed November 2012
Cedric B, Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear BriceHK,
Be Happy, Be Magnifique!
Merci for your comment on Tripadvisor.
New top French fresh oysters from Prat Ar Coum to taste at Heritage Restaurant.
Magnifique Festive Season...
shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

It looks and feels like a five star hotel but because the internet in my room was unusable I basically wasted two days here and the only productive time was when I took my computer to starbucks. Internet access is already bad enough in china due to the "we're proud to be cavemen" chinese government, and this made things even more frustrating. In a five star hotel, everything works, and if it doesn't work, someone fixes it. The fundamental measure of a hotel is whether you would stay there again. i go back to Beijing tomorrow and I'll stay somewhere else. In a city with 1000+ hotels you can't afford to screw up the basics and for me internet access is probably the most important. If internet access is not an issue for you this is a great, new hotel with great staff. Then again if internet access isn't important you probably don't read tripadvisor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cedric B, Manager at Sofitel Wanda Beijing, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear mjc1959,
Thanks for your feedback on Tripadvisor. Be assured that we pay attention on all comments we receive and work on points highlighted by our Guest.
I am sorry to read that we did not meet your full expectations during your last stay and hope to have the chance to welcome you again.
Regarding internet I am happy to share with you that we are currently upgrading our system and hope this will offer a better connectivity solution in the near future.
Woodland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

outstanding service.....

outstanding room.... marble... (never stayed in a hotel where the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom was glass.... with an electric curtain shade!)

only complaint is that the thermostat seemed to be a little inaccurate.

great view of city.

breakfast buffet is great.... French press coffee at breakfast! egg station--

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear John33290,
Thanks for your comment on Tripadvisor.
Be assured I will share your feedback with all Sofitel Wanda Beijing Ambassadors to make sure we continue to deliver a Magnifique Experience to our Guest.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

HI Sir/Mdm

At reception, we were already made to wait due to some travel agency group tour holding up the line. I would believe a 5 star hotel would have already cater a line specially for tour group, and others for your Accor member, and business travellers. Surprisingly we did see some caucasians at the reception asking for non-chinese customers to come over to check-in. Should it not that they go over to ask all customers in queue (Chinese or non-Chinese) if they could help in check-in?

Right after this wait, we got our room. In the room, we were surprised to find the minibar locked up. When we called to ask to open up our mini bar, we were told to wait up on the phone just for the reception to investigate this matter. And furthermore, they ask us on which travel group do we belong to??What seemed like a right thing to ask do was simply to either ask room service to come unlock the minibar. Rather we were again asked to wait online.

Finally that episode ended.

But we had someone knocking our door later that night. When we answered the door, it was only a 'Spa massage business card with semi nake woman photos" under the door. When we told this to the reception during check-out, this was totally brushed aside as if it is pretty much a normal thing. Should it not be expected of a 5-star hotel to have security for all their customers to ensure they do not get this kind of disruption to their rest?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cher Monsieur,
Chere Madame,
Thanks for taking the time to share your Experience on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your full expectations during your last stay with us. Be assured I will share with all my concerned Department Heads.
Be also assured all Sofitel Wanda Beijing Ambassadors have the desire and the passion to offer a Magnifique Experience for all Guest.
Hope to have the plaisir to welcome you again.
Cedric

Been to Sofitel Wanda Beijing? Share your experiences!