“Beautiful Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cote Cour Beijing

You added Hotel Cote Cour Beijing to your Saves list
Hotel Cote Cour Beijing
No.70 Yanyue Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #15 of 5,417 Hotels in Beijing
Oxfordshire, UK
“Beautiful Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel is expensive by Chinese standards but worth every penny - you certainly get more for your money than in most other major capital cities.

The rooms are unique and very tastefully done, with the bed being about a mile wide. The bathroom too was very nice and contemporary. All rooms are set around a courtyard, which has access via reception, where the service was great. The couple of people who we saw working there were very friendly, very helpful and spoke very good English.

The real gem of the hotel though is the dining/breakfast room. Set on the roof, it is essentially a glass house with views over the local area with an adjoining sun terrace for if you're not there in freezing January as I was. The breakfast they served was extremely good and far surpassed anything else I experienced in China (I don't mind boiled cabbage, but having it for breakfast every day isn't my idea of a great start). It had with eggs, pancakes, great coffee, granola + yoghurt and selection of fruit.

Location-wise, the hotel is tucked right into the Hutongs of Beijing and is about 10-15 mins walk from the nearest subway. This means it's a beautifully quiet hideout and makes it hard to believe you're in the same bustling city that has bikes, cars and buses clogging the streets just a few hundred yards away. The place is quite far down a small side street but they offer a rickshaw that can give a lift to the end if you so wish.

A wonderful place to stay - wish I'd had more time here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Hotel desk staff and security staff of courtyard related to me in a very personal way. The staff knew me within the first day, and made me feel as if I were a guest in their family home. A few times there were no English speakers available, and my Chinese is very limited, providing a fun challenge to resolve whatever needs for the few trivial problems I had. One, Ms. Jane Zhang, had excellent English and was very helpful. Frankly... I often have more serious issues communicating with hotel staff in the USA!

Cozy comfort. Very quiet and peaceful. Very clean. Charming and accommodating staff. I LOVED staying there during my cold Beijing winter nights. First thing I did when I entered the room: opened the valve to the old-style radiator, which provided quiet, clean heat that 5-Star hotels cannot even dream of (hi-tech heat pumps or electric heat systems are always accompanied by noisy air handling generating human-desiccating atmospheres). Of course, I don’t know what that room would be like in the middle a hot summer night.
My room had a minor irritation that the shower often flooded the main bathroom floor, but this was such a small problem in the context of a wonderful room.

Hotel Cote Cour employs a cadre of highly competent House Cats (approx four) that roam the courtyard and are allowed in the main office, but not in rooms. These cats keep rodent population under control (remember, this hotel is in the middle of a hutong district, and other means of rodent control are not only environmentally bad, but bad for health of people and other animals. Do not stay in a hutong hotel unless a well-maintained feline staff is on duty 24/7!) These cats were also very friendly to guests and were a positive influence on homey ambiance. My email send from the hotel to a friend: “The hutong hotel had maybe six House Cats on duty 24/7. This is because without cats, there would be serious rat / mouse problems in a hutong environment. One morning I found two of them playing "cat and mouse" with a mouse right outside my room. The mouse was really enjoying it, I thought. The cats would let it run a few feet and then pick it up and put it back at "Go." I don't know if the mouse would be eaten later. I lost interest after a few minutes. The cats were never bored. The mouse had no choice but to play.”

Arghghg! WHY are any Chinese hotels still rationing toilet paper? The war is over and economy is booming in China. Yet Cote Cour doles out TP one roll at a time. This practice casts a dark shadow over any stay as guests are constantly stressing about whether that TP will run out at a time of critical need, how to make yourself understood during the emergency phone call to the desk. ANY hotel charging over $100 per night can solve this problem for a few cents a day.

Cote Cour got the HOUSE CATS right, TP wrong.

The upstairs restaurant was a large hall with an elevated cove for reading (a mini-library). Breakfast was limited to yogurt, two slices of toast, dumplings and hard-boiled egg. Excellent coffee, brewed fresh. And once I found the cook, I was able to get eggs cooked however I wanted and other breakfast items. Dinner menu was similarly limited to what cook had on hand; I did not eat a formal dinner there, partly because of the potluck menu, but mostly because my Chinese friends demanded that I accompany them to dinner elsewhere. However, I had two extended lunches in the wonderful ambiance of the upstairs restaurant; ordered a la carte, delicious spring rolls and other snacks and sipped wine, tending to emails and arranging my travels via my iPad, reading newspapers and items from the downstairs library.

Yes. Of course, Cote Cour has a main library branch, downstairs from the restaurant area. There’s WiFi for your own iPad or PC, but they provide a few computers (I think mostly Macs) linked to Internet, and there are BOOKS and newspapers, and interesting things to look at. I spent a few pleasant hours there. This would be a great place to meet people and maybe sip some wine or tea and just talk.

The Yanyue hutong, the many surrounding hutongs, and the entire Dongcheng District neighborhood can be safely walked at all hours, night or day. This provides ample entertainment. There are dozens of wonderful restaurants, tea houses, shops and anything else one could want within easy walking distance. For instance, I had my nan kan shou ji (ugly cell phone that a friend had loaned me) serviced by China Mobile. And I spent many delightful hours exploring other hutongs and shopping Wangfujing Street. The whole neighborhood is Eye Candy for the Western tourist.

There is no Cote Cour “concierge,” just people who help. When I departed, though I did not “need” this service, someone came to my room and took my bags to the front office and arranged a taxi to take me and bags to the main Beijing train station. I sat for a few minutes waiting for the cab in the company of two large House Cats, sipped tea and chatted with the desk clerk. I was impressed with how personal this experience was.

Room Tip: Relax and enjoy. You are in China. My guess is that all rooms are as good as mine was.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

As other reviews have noted this is a great quality boutique hotel. Well appointed room, huge bathroom (although lighting was a bit dim) and very quiet. However, what makes it is the great lounge/dining and roof top space and the friendly helpful staff. The lounge/bar is a great place to start the day with a quality breakfast and a great spot to finish the day with a drink and some snacks.

The location is great, in a small hutong with good access to the subway and easy walk to main shopping area. Some comments have been negative about the street access but we found it safe and the hotel assisted with luggage when driver was unable to get his vehicle down the lane because it was too narrow.

If you want to avoid the standard chain hotels and experience Beijing but with western comforts, definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

What a fantastic hotel!! We loved our stay all the staff made us feel so welcome and so special we could not have asked for more. The room was beautiful very comfortable and clean and was cleaned every day. The breakfast was fantastic, don't let 'continental' fool you they do a different version of bacon and eggs every day! The location is perfect, within walking distance of the centre but so quiet you would never know you are in the city! We used the pick up and drop off service which was great and the driver was really friendly. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard room so can only imagine how fabulous the others are!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place is just perfect. Architecture is beautiful, nice, professional staff and rooms very clean with a new feel. Location wise It's great if you want a genuine traditional Beijing experience, surroundings are safe and quiet. Close walk to subway station which is great, since you cant really walk to any attractions from the hotel (same goes for all of Beijing). Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

such a nice place when u travel in BJ in summer.the people and the environment are really nice.its suitable for couples and family go there also the food its very good like beijing snack.the room is clean and near the subway and bus stop

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We spent 5days with my friends in hotel CC in Beijing. We loved it! It is located in a Hutong near a famous shopping street, Forbidden City and Tian'anmen Square. Nearest subway station is just over 10 minutes walk. There is delightfully delicious breakfast in a beautiful restaurant, which is full of sunshine in the morning. Gorgeous courtyard, courteous staff and the rooms are decorated with retro style furniture .Everything is perfect, thank you so very much. We’ll see you again!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Hotel Cote Cour Beijing? Share your experiences!