“what a magical place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cote Cour Beijing

Save Saved
You added Hotel Cote Cour Beijing to your Saves list
Hotel Cote Cour Beijing
No.70 Yanyue Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #15 of 5,414 Hotels in Beijing
“what a magical place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We spent 5days with my friends in hotel CC in Beijing. We loved it! It is located in a Hutong near a famous shopping street, Forbidden City and Tian'anmen Square. Nearest subway station is just over 10 minutes walk. There is delightfully delicious breakfast in a beautiful restaurant, which is full of sunshine in the morning. Gorgeous courtyard, courteous staff and the rooms are decorated with retro style furniture .Everything is perfect, thank you so very much. We’ll see you again!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I used to choose some chain hotels, but this place is 100% reward to come back again. the location is just few blocks to the forbidden city, and some famous shopping centre. It is very convenient to take a few steps walk from the hotel to the metro, or take a bus. The neighbourhood is quiet lovely, all eastern style building, you can taste the history from it.

Room Tip: the interior design is traditional chinese look, can't love it more.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at Cote Cour for 4 nights with my friend in Jan,it was recommended by my colleague.We absolutely loved our room, The room was well appointed, very comfortable shower and heating system .The staff are excellent,friendly and helpful , showed us the way to the inner city and helped us to arranged the tour to the Great Wall. It was amazing. The breakfast are so delicious and you must try the dinner here at the beautiful new restaurant on the second floor where you can also enjoy the view of the traditional Beijing style.
We will come back this hotel for sure if we come to Beijing next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Nanjing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Very charming and well run boutique, courtyard style hotel near to the centre of Beijing. The location is a little shabby at first glance, however this adds to the charm - and entering and leaving the hotel each day gives you a sense of what hutong living is like. Inside the hotel, the environment is first class, with classical style rooms (each different) with all the mod-cons. The communal area is also a great place to chill out and relax. We had not anticipated the food on offer either, and breakfast was varied each day and set its up for our walls through the streets of Beijing.
This would be a great place for a big family event, and we will be sure to return.

Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed for four night in early December 2012. Our plane was four hours late from Hong Kong, so we arrived after dark. We had already made arrangements for transportation, but the hotel have it available for the going rate. When we arrived at the hutong, or neighborhood, we knew that it was a five minute walk through the alleyways. I have to say that made me a little nervous, as our driver could not fit his vehicle through the alleyway. He was nice enough to see us to the hotel. Otherwise, you'll need to arrive during the day, or see that you get a vehicle that can get through the alleyway, or understand it's a bit of a walk through dark alleys.

Regardless, once we arrived, it was like opening up into a secret garden. Just a lovely courtyard with lanterns lit, and even though it was very cold, it had a cozy feeling. They took us to our room, which was fabulous mixture of Chinese and Western touches. The shower head was great as it was on the ceiling with lots of hot water. There was endless amounts of shampoo and liquid soap in pumps. They both smelled amazing. I took a shower in the evening as well as the morning, to enjoy the whole experience. The bed was typical Chinese hard, which we experienced all over China, but big, and the lovely pillows made up for it. Super-snuggley. Coffee and tea available in the room, with a safe, as well.

The gal took us to show us where breakfast was to be in the morning. We stayed for a glass of wine and an evening snack. There were about six choices on the menu, and we were happy with what we had. I had dim sum, and my husband had noodles with vegetables. Very good. We ate there for small evening meals a few times, as the breakfasts were so filling, we didn't eat lunch until late in the afternoon, and then only wanted something small for dinner. The kitchen staff didn't speak English, but pointing always works.

Breakfast was amazing, and included in the price of the room. First we could help ourselves to a Nespresso-like coffee, and a number of juices. They would bring tea. We then had some wonderful yogurt with granola. They would then bring out a hot breakfast, which was whatever was on for the day. No menu. It did always included two fried eggs, toast and some ham or other meat. On different days we had amazing Chinese pancakes, and veggie dim sum. Again, we didn't eat until very late in the day, or skipped lunch altogether, because it was so filling and fabulous.

We also used their driver a few times to takes us to a show and then dinner. We used the subway system a lot, which was absolutely fine, but occasionally were tired after long days of walking. We couldn't find an available cab on the street anywhere, so on two occasions we booked the car from the hotel. It worked out fine, and was, if I remember correctly, about $15.00 per hour. It took the hassle of trying to figure out the transportation system, so it was fine, and nice to have a door-to-door service.

We only had one "iffy" experience. I was hoping to have the famous Beijing duck while there. I had a few places in mind, but then decided to ask the hotel to send us to the best duck place in town. Why not try the local fair, I thought. Well, I think I should have been a little more specific as to the type of place I was looking for. It was our last night, so I was thinking "top shelf." The driver took us to a back alley place somewhere. I did not feel comfortable, but I thought we should be polite, and we already ordered the duck, which you have to do ahead of time. We went into a very small room with maybe six or eight tables. There were a mixture of Chinese people and college-type westerners. There were some type of awards on the wall for the best duck in Beijing. I felt somewhat encouraged by this, but not the looks of the place. No one spoke English, but the driver saw us in, and made sure they knew who we were, etc. Like I said, pointing is fine. The chef came out and showed us an amazing cooked duck. It arrived with all necessary sides and sauces. Unfortunately, the establishment was just beyond my comfort level of clean. I have worked in kitchens all my life, and this place was beyond filthy. I really tried to do my best to enjoy the duck, but it didn't work. Fortunately, some college kids from Australia came in, and I offered it to them, which they gratefully enjoyed. So, it all worked out, and next time I need to be a bit more specific, as to what I was looking for. The hotel did exactly what I asked, sent me to the best duck place in town. My bad.

Of course we would return in a heartbeat. It would be nice to try it when the weather is a little warmer. So, if you want a little bit of Chinese mixed with Western style, this is the place. You must be a bit of an adventurous spirit. Otherwise, got to a major hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the courtyard, and it was very quiet, probably because it was early December. I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at the CC hotel for 4 nights in mid November. We absolutely loved it here. This is a a really beautiful boutique artsy hotel. The owner definitely pays attention to detail. We were very comfortable there. The room was well appointed, very comfortable shower and heating system (it was cold in November). The arrangement for our transfer worked out perfectly even with our very very late arrival (past midnight). The front desk staff spoke good English and were attentive to our needs (although we had very little). The walk into and out of the Hutong was absolutely no issue to us at all. We actually enjoyed seeing the local beijinger life.

If I have to fault this place on anything it would be that the kitchen staff spoke no English at all. We tried to order a glass of wine and had trouble doing so. We had to go behind the counter and look at all the wine bottles ourselves. Also another slight negative is the lack of food options provided by the kitchen. They did offer an evening dinner if ordered ahead of time but if you just want snacks and some drinks the options are quite minimal and very expensive. For example there was a bottle of wine they offered for 178RMB but my husband found it at a nearby market for $79RMB> Okay so I guess you pay for convenience.
Really though these issues were very minimal and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are off the quad. I would probably try to choose one away from the lobby area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at Cote Cour only 1 night for a business trip. I picked this place because of my "5 stars hotel fatigue" and its central location. In short: I wanted to be in a cozy place, within walking distance of the Beihai park while enjoying the feel of "old Beijing" & Hutongs. That was the perfect place for it. First, I had a very good contact with the staff on my way from the airport: my taxi didn't know where the hotel was (that's the "hutong's effect"!) and needed guidance. The Girl had flawless English, and was very helpful with my taxi. She was smart enough to push him to enter the hutong, and drop me right at the front door, so I didn't have to walk! The check-in was one of the fastest I ever had. She quickly walked me to my (well-heated) room: I booked a Deluxe and was upgraded to Suite. I was amazed at how beautiful the decoration was: a tasteful combination of Chinese antique and modern design. The room was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was awesome, with both rain shower and large bath tub.The rest of the hotel was very lovely too: square traditional court, red lanterns lit at night, and cozy place for meals / drinks upstairs: a large outdoor rooftop terrace with great views of the hutong, as well as an intimate veranda with coffee tables and lots of comfy cushions. Free WIFI everywhere, of course. All Staff without exception were helpful, even the night-guard who helped me to book an airport transfer with the hotel's car, despite the late hour (it was almost 2 AM). Fee for transfer was also quite reasonable: 150 CY. In short, you will love this hotel if you are looking for quality alternative to luxury hotels, and if you are interested to explore a more traditional aspect of Beijing. On the other hand, if you are used to taxi stands right at the front of your hotel and hate walking, probably not your place. A couple of useful tips: 1/ Even if you have a printed map, keep the hotel's phone number handy at all times. Taxis always get confused with hutongs, and they will surely try to "get rid" of you at the main street, when it is actually possible to drive inside the hutong right to the hotel door. 2/ If taxi driver gets grumpy at you for choosing to stay in a hutong, answer him that: "这就是老北京, 师傅! Zhe jiushi lao Beijing, Shifu! (Chill out, man! This is old Beijing after all!) 3/ Eat & drinks: if you don't feel like moving, Cote Cour offers quality local dishes, wine and beers, all very satisfying. There is a mini-bar in your room with complimentary bottled water. If you want to go out: one great under-ground option is to go to the hidden gem Baochao Hutong (10 mn taxi) on Gulou dong Dajie: there are very nice diner options here, like Southern Barbarian and Mr Shi's Dumplings, as well as easy-going bars for drinks (Orchid bar or Cangku). A more upscale option is to go to the Temple's Restaurant on Shatan road, also 10 mn taxi from the hotel: gorgeous contemporary European restaurant sheltered in a gorgeous renovated temple.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms or higher room category have lovely big bath tub
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Cote Cour Beijing? Share your experiences!