“What a fantastic experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cote Cour Beijing

You added Hotel Cote Cour Beijing to your Saves list
Hotel Cote Cour Beijing
No.70 Yanyue Alley, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100010, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #31 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong, China
“What a fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

It's hard to find enough good things to say about this hotel. Admittedly, our New Year's stay was during Beijing's off-season and the hotel was almost empty, but the staff were so incredibly helpful (especially when I got sick with a stomach bug) that it's hard to imagine we only benefitted from our timing.

The hotel itself is beautiful, a sensitively restored (and, it appears, expanded) classic courtyard mansion that provides all of the modern amenities. Breakfast - invariably excellent, whether Western or Chinese - is included, and given in a high-ceilinged "lounge" that is a beautiful spot for relaxing. The location is surprisingly convenient, near the new No. 5 subway line (about a 10-15 minute walk away). The front desk clerks are also more than happy to provide written instructions that you can give to a cab driver for wherever your day's destination may be. In short, I don't think I could recommend a hotel more highly.

As another guest noted, the bathroom does not have its own radiator; having lived in Japan I'm used to that but it does mean taking care to open the bathroom door 15 or 20 minutes before taking a shower. The shower itself I found more than effective, but I'm used to low-flow showheads here in the U.S. so perhaps I'm not fussed on that point.

A small word on transport to the property. The hotel will gladly arrange for airport pickup by cab. At 300 RMB it was higher than the going rate, but the extra ensured a cab driver whose English was fairly good and (most importantly) who already knew how to find the hotel. Guests who decide to hail a cab themselves, or to take the soon-to-be-completed Metro line would do well to bring a printout of directions to the hotel in Chinese to hand to the driver. The hutong where the hotel is located is quite small and does not appear on many tourist maps.

• Liked — Service, location, care taken for property and rooms
  • Disliked — Difficult for cab drivers to find without Chinese instructions
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2007

I stayed in a superior suite for 5 nights recently whilst visiting my son who is studying in Beijing. It took me some days to recognise this was in a really great area and central to shopping and attractions in this huge sprawling city. This wonderful courtyard converted house is located in an historically protected hutong and has kept the ambience of old Beijing and yet still has the modern amendities. Covered in snow on day two was a memorable sight.!
My room was well heated and my cosy bed with feather doona and soft bedlinen was welcoming. The bathroom however was not well heated and and despite the "funky" decor the shower was not efficient but apart from that I loved the decor in the main living area and the main lounge where breakfast ,drinks at night and dinner on request was served. Enter through huge shiny red doors to a room-filled with modern art work, antique furniture, funky cushions and large bowls of fresh fruit .

The owner who was overseas during my stay, was so apologetic for her absence that she kindly left us a note and enclosed tickets to a concert in the Forbidden City...(very thoughtful). The breakfast, that is included in the tariff, was wonderfully presented and a surprise each day.
It was only when I returned to Beijing a week later and stayed in a western-style hotel that I remembered how peaceful the hotel was. I cant remember any traffic noise and felt I was in a secret oasis.
Despite the difficutlies getting a taxi driver through the narrow pathways to find the hotel, it is certainly worth the effort.
I am hotel addict and was wary at first of my son's recommendation (I knew there was the security of a 5 star hotel located around the corner,) but it was "perfect" and would highly recommend this hotel for the atmoshphere, the locality, the comfort and service and the experience of being in the old area of Beijing.

• Liked — Ambience, decor, location and attention to detail
  • Disliked — maybe the heating in bathrom and shower
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Denver, colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

Hotel Cote Cour's location is central and within walking distance to great sights, restaurants and shopping. The hotel is small, beautifully designed and chic. The owner (Shauna) and the desk managers (Jerry and Michael) are very helpful, friendly and service-oriented. They will arrange private tours and direct you to the best restaurants (they will make reservations for you). Most of all, they seem to genuinely care about the guests' well-being. My husband and I traveled alone in China for five weeks and Hotel Cote Cour tops our list. It is an exceptional property in the heart of old Beijing.

• Liked — the individual service, the uniqueness of the property
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

We can only agree with the previous writers.

The setting in the Hutong makes the fresh hotel like an oasis in the desert of Beijing. This is only accentuated by the wonderful habit of offering a glass of water, as the first thing when one arrives and are shown around the small, exquisite and charming Hotel (the water was offered every time when one came back to the hotel a sign of attention to detail and genuine care).

The personal and closeness of the service, setting and environment in combination of the attention to details created an ambiance that made us feel so welcome, as we were visiting a friends wonderful house.

The elegant, intelligent and friendly owner Shauna greeted us at our arrival and was very much a part of the experience. With wonderful suggestions on dining and shopping as well as a source of information on Beijing and present day China.

The personal, direct and simply wonderful service and atmosphere created by Michel, Jerry, Sam, Kathy, The Chef and all the others at the hotel cannot be praised enough!

We truly and wholeheartedly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

Just returned from Beijing, where I stayed at this wonderfull hotel for 4 night. I had booked another hutong hotel where I stayed one night and hated it, so my guide recomended this as an alternativ, and I had a great time there. The rooms are nice modern, yet very chines, with a very comfortabel bed, ( could do with a bit loved pillows ) . The bathroom great and all very clean. The living room
where there are some great art . and very relaxing, loved it.
What makes this hotel extra special is the staff, "there english better the any other hotel I visitet in Beijing ". and there smiles and helpfulness.Just loved staying there. The hotel is in a hutong close to what I will call center of Beijing. I felt totaly safe warking trough teh hutong alone in the evening ( not all taxi drivers will go into the hutongs ) . The only down side is the breakfast as it is the same every morning. Stay it is a lovely experiance.

• Liked — The staff friendlines, without being to much.
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

We are currently on an around the world trip and had the great opportunity to stay at this hotel. I really can't say enough good things as it exceeded our expectations in every way. The attention to detail, amazingly decorated rooms and service rivaling any 5star hotel made our stay awesome.

We really enjoyed the fact it is located in one of the small neighborhoods (Hutong) where you walk outside and are immersed in the local Chinese culture.

The staff always went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed and to guide to many of the local treasures.

The only negative I can think of is one of the standard rooms is a bit on the small side but an upgrade to a larger room is still a great value for what you get at this place.

• Liked — All of it.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Let me preface this review by pointing out that I tend to hold hotels to a very high standard. As a case in point, I would refer you to my appropriately-scathing TripAdvisor review of the widly-overrated Lizard Island Resort in Australia:

As part of a nine-month around-the-world trip, my wife and I spent three days in Beijing in late April 2007. In one exceptional stroke of luck, I happened to do a Google search of "Beijing Boutique Hotel" in the hopes of finding a truly intimate luxury lodging experience at a reasonable price. The search yielded one interesting link (listed below), from which I made our reservation:

[--]

After a 40-minute taxi ride into Beijing from the airport, my wife and I started having doubts about the decision when our cabdriver pulled into a cramped alleyway bordered on both sides by gray stone walls. We would later come to learn that this particular setting was a hutong -- a historical district of traditional Beijing stone houses surrounding interior courtyards -- that happened to be smack dab in the center of Beijing's high rent district, no more than a 5-minute cab ride from the Peninsula or Grand Hyatt or a 10-minute cab ride from the Forbidden City or Tiananmen Square. At first blush, you would never guess that the CEO of China's largest company just so happens to live on the same block.

Stepping in through two large, bright-red Chinese doors, we were greeted by the Cote Cour SL's exceptionally-kind and thoughtful front desk manager, Michael. As we stepped into the hotel, we breathed a huge sigh of relief as the aesthetic was exactly what we were looking for -- a chic, luxurious and beautifully-appointed boutique hotel created from a restored historical area. My wife, the design and fashion buff of the family, became ecstatic at the sight of the contemporary design with antique Chinese touches.

We were shown to our room on the right side of the colorful and cheerful courtyard (the boutique has 12 rooms total) and I, the technology and creature comfort buff of the family, became ecstatic. In terms of technology, our room had a large flat-screen plasma television with more U.S. and English satellite channels than any other hotel we've seen in China (including the Shangri-Las and the Sofitels) and wireless Internet access. As far as creature comforts, our room featured a king bed with plush pillows, soft cotton sheets, terry-cloth bathrobes, an electronic safe and a bathroom with a raised porcelain bowl sink and a walk-in rainshower.

This was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the experience. After seeing the room, we were shown to the very cool and stylish guest lounge featuring some of the owner's private artwork, amazing music and very comfortable seating. The lounge was also where we breakfasted each morning on fresh-baked French pastries, fresh fruit and the most delicious Swiss mueslix we've ever tasted.

So, it goes without saying that the hotel facilities were tremendous. But the facilities were dwarfed by the service and attention to detail. We truly felt as if we were staying with close personal friends as opposed to in a hotel. Michael, the front desk manager we alluded to earlier, repeatedly bent over backwards for us in every imaginable respect: arranging for restaurant reservations (and confirming that they accepted credit cards and served vegetarian dishes), obtaining quotes for private car service, hailing taxis, researching Great Wall tours, calling our airline to amend our reservation on our behalf, transcribing restaurant names, addresses and directions into Mandarin and fielding calls from us and our cabdrivers when we lost our way in Beijing.

As if that wasn't enough, the hotel's owner, Shauna, was among the most amazing, talented and friendly people we have ever met, anywhere in the world. In our three days at her hotel, she obtained for us last-second reservations at the renowned Made In China and People 8 restaurants (and went so far as to preorder Made In China's famed Peking Duck for my wife), escorted us to see galleries in Beijing's up-and-coming 798 arts district, took my wife shopping and helped her negotiate some hip clothing purchases and took us to dinner with some of her friends.

We literally looked into changing our plane tickets to extend our time in Beijing solely because of Shauna and Michael and our amazing stay at Cote Cour SL. Unfortunately, we weren't able to this time around, but we will definitely come back (and hope that she's not so wildly-successful that she doesn't have room for us).

• Liked — Personal attention
  • Disliked — Believe it or not ... absolutely nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Cote Cour Beijing? Share your experiences!