“Good Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Regent Beijing

You added Regent Beijing to your Saves list
Regent Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Jinbao Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100005, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #41 of 5,462 Hotels in Beijing
Mauritius
“Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in the Regent. Check in was quick and efficient, the room was very good, clean and functional, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom all worked and you had all that you needed and everything was spotlessly clean. You can walk from this hotel around the local area and there are a number of very good restaurants to stop into and try. All in all a good hotel and would certainly come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and have decided to return upon your next visit to Beijing!

We look forward to welcoming you back once again soon to the Regent Beijing!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed here for 7 nights during the Chinese New Year period in Jan/Feb 2014. Overall, this is an excellent hotel.

The good points:

1. The hotel is modern and the spacious rooms are well furnished and have large floor-to-ceiling windows. The hotel clearly maintains its rooms and facilities well.

2. The staff are professional, efficient and pleasant. The housekeeping lady responsible for the 8th floor, where I was located, was particularly friendly and always greeted me when we passed each other in the hallway. This made me feel very at home and I hope her good manners and attitude is acknowledged by management.

3. I only had the chance to try one of their restaurants - Lei Garden - as most of their restaurants were closed until the 7th of Feb for the Chinese New Year - I checked out on the 7th of Feb. The yum cha (dim sum) at Lei Garden is sensational. The egg tarts were incredibly delicate and the dumplings were extremely well-flavored. This is by far the best yum cha I've had anywhere.

4. Additional requests such as requests for water and towels and requests to the concierge for bookings at Da Dong Peking Duck restaurant were met immediately. The staff do in this regard, do really try their best.

5. The hotel's gym facilities are excellent. The gym is spacious, looks out onto the hotel's back courtyard and has very modern equipment. I didn't try the swimming pool, but it looked very large.

6. The location of the hotel is fantastic - about a block away from the action-packed Wangfujing, and short taxi rides to tourist and business sites such as The Forbidden City, Hou hai, Sanlitun and the CBD.

Areas which can be proved:

1. By far the most disappointing experience of my stay was the buffet breakfast served at Cafe 99. I was allocated a table along the corridor near the entrance, as the only empty two-person tables were located here - this is fine and I understand the need to do this. However, after I came back to the table from the buffet with a plate of food, someone else was sitting in at my table! The staff had allocated my table to someone else. I then had to walk around the cafe area with my plate of food, following the floor manager, while he tried to find me another table - it took a few minutes as it was a very busy breakfast service. To his credit, the floor manager was very apologetic, but such an error shouldn't happen. I witnessed the same thing happen to another couple during the breakfast service. I hope the hotel puts in place a system to prevent this from happening again.

2. The pricing of the buffet breakfast, at $40USD, was too high. Yes, I know that some other establishments charge these prices - but the variety of the buffet was surprisingly limited and disappointingly, they didn't serve fresh juice, unlike other hotels that charge these prices for breakfast. The juice seemed like commercially-made juice with added sugar and flavour. It tasted artificial. That said, the pastries, bacon and sausages were of good quality. I also find the set up of the buffet to be too cramped. Most of the food and the egg station is set up along a very confined end of the restaurant, which induced a lot of congestion when people got up to get food. I think they'll find that people will be able to move around a lot easier and get food a lot easier if they physically spread the buffet out a little more across the available space.

3. It was a bit difficult to get taxis on some of the days - I understand that this is often the case in Beijing, especially during the new year period. But I wonder whether the Regent should, like some other hotels, start using iPhone/iPad/android apps which allow you to electronically call for and track taxis? Such apps are widely used in China and will allow for quicker service and greater assurance for guests.

4. A very minor annoyance is seeing some staff in the lobby and gym playing on their phones infront of guests. This actually happens a lot in 5-star hotels everywhere and it doesn't necessarily detract from the attentiveness of the service. But it just seems unprofessional, especially when lobby staff do it.

Overall

My disappointing breakfast experience aside, I would say that the Regent Hotel would sit quite comfortably alongside other quality western 5-star establishments in the city such as the Westin, Sofitel and Grand Hyatt. The staff are very good but probably not trained to St Regis/Four Seasons standard yet - they don't yet have that address-you-by-your-name and hand-things-to-you-with-two-hands kind if service that you'll find at the St Regis and Four Seasons. But I would say that the service is on a par with the Westin/Sofitel/Grand Hyatt. Overall, this is an excellent hotel and deserving of its 5-star status. It will be even better if it can improve on some of the things mentioned in this review.

Thank you to the hotel and staff that made my 7-night stay a mostly very pleasant one. I hope the hotel continues to do well in the future - I will be back.

Stayed January 2014
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you very much for taking so much of your time to share your detailed thoughts on your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to hear that overall, you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We have given our thanks to our team and more especially we have identified the Room Attendant on the 8th floor and recognized her for her good and kind service.

We thank you as well for your detailed feedback on ways we can improve. Whilst we continuously analyze what we can improve, it always helps to get someone from the outside to give us their opinion too. Our colleagues in the Food & Beverage department will look into your comments on the breakfast service and buffet and we will most certainly use your comments as an example in our continuous reminders and training we give on how to behave in our public areas.

With regards to the taxis, we actually do offer the possibility to book via mobile applications, however there is a 30 RMB surcharge for this service. As usually most taxi rides don't even cost that much in total, most guests refuse to make use of this service. But if you do not mind paying the surcharge, you may inform our Concierge who will gladly use the application to call a taxi for you. On most occasions though, the waiting time for taxis has much improved over the last two years since the government recently introduced new regulations.

We are very glad that we can now consider you as a member of our extended family and look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Beijing!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our standard room was very good - clean, modern and large with floor to ceiling windows (providing a front row seat to the comedy show that is Beijing traffic). But in-room dining was terrible all around and staff behind the concierge desk were not at all helpful. In terms of location, we weren't enamoured with Wangfujing and found Tiananmen Square to be a bit of a hike (- further than what it appears on the map) and for those reasons, we probably will not return to the Regent despite the hotel being more than adequate. For anyone that does end up staying there, the hotel is close to Da Dong and Haidilao, restaurants recommended to us by friends for roast duck and hot pot, respectively, as well as a Western-style grocery store selling imported produce and groceries (next to the Apple store, basement level).

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a few minutes to share some of your thoughts on your recent stay with us!

Although we were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay for the most part, we were disappointed to hear of your experience with In Room Dining and to find out that you wouldn't choose to come back.

We do however understand that your choice not to come back is not so much based on the hotel, its services or facilities but rather because of its location. Although we fully understand that, please be aware that you will not find any other 5-star hotel with the entrance to the subway as conveniently located as we have here.

We do however hope that you may rethink your choice and that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again if your travels bring you back to Beijing once again.
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Hotel is at a prominent intersection with hotel at 45 degrees with open space in front of it.
From the moment of arrival by taxi from the airport (c RMB100) the friendly door staff to the check-in process created a great impression. I arrived before check-in time but after a long flight the staff found me a non-smoking room as requested to save me waiting - good service.
The room was fairly big, certainly more than needed for my work trip. My room faced the 'back' overlooking Park Plaza hotel and Jinbao Towers - quiet at all times from 6th floor.
Plenty of hanging room and bathroom ample with bath & shower.
Breakfast was included in my tariff was buffet style and included both Eastern and Western breakfast foods. Eggs could be freshly cooked - much better than those mass-produced servings.
Café 99 was great for evening meals - good selection at reasonable prices for business people but costs were much more than if you ate out in local restaurants.
The Chinese restaurant on 3rd floor was over-priced and not great food in my opinion. Perhaps local experts would disagree.
Mortons Bar and Steakhouse is also in the building - only used the bar for a beer when you may also get snacks of mini steak rolls.
I didn't eat in the Italian restaurant.
It is very handy to have restaurants in the hotel for those nights when you are tired from work or site seeing.
All staff were very friendly and the stocked mini bar is free until you need to restock then you pay.
Taxi and subway (right next door and costing RMB2 for any single trip) are very handy to get around.
I will return to the Regent on my trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments on your recent stay with us!

We were very glad to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay as well as our central location and variety of restaurants.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon to the Regent Beijing!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The hotel itself is very grand. The rooms had fantastic decor and were very spacious and comfortable. The bed and pillows were also great. The bathroom was also very good - you could take a bath and watch tv at the same. There is an excellent dim sum chain called Lei Garden on level 3 of the hotel. The location is also excellent - the metro entrance is literally around the corner. It is also close to a famous Peking Duck restaurant. The Wangfujing shopping street and APM shopping mall (which has Zara and other branded stores) are less than 7 minutes away by foot. This hotel made my stay in Beijing very unforgettable - would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking a minute to share your opinion on your last stay with us at the Regent Beijing!

We were absolutely delighted to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us as well as, the central location, the comfort of the nearby subway station and the nearby restaurants. More than anything, we are glad to have made your stay an unforgettable one.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Beijing!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

It's the ideal choice for travellers, very close to the shops and restaurants – all walking distance.
I stayed in the executive suite, very spacious lounge room with separate bedroom. Was very impressed with the bathroom design, had a spa bathtub that looked amazing to bath in. had an extra toilet in the lounge room as well, views from the room was quite nice, and work station was comfortable to settle down to complete work in.

This was one of my better stays from the 5 stars hotel that I stayed in Beijing, the only reason I have given this hotel a rating of 4 instead of 5, was that the rooms can get really warm.
The Air con controls are just dummy decorations I presumed, room temp was set at 27 degrees Celsius and that’s really hot for me. After contacting management, was advised that all the rooms temperature in the hotel are pre-set to what the hotel think is comfortable for the guests. The only way to drop the temperature is to open the windows, which I found quite silly.
No the less, that is what I did, but despite the freezing temperatures in Beijing during the end of the year, and due to the fact the windows only open slightly, it still takes a while to drop the temperature in the room.

Check-in was quick and efficient and worth mentioning there was complimentary fruit basket and wine when first arrived in room, so thought that was a really nice gesture.

Overall stay was pleasant and staff were very friendly. I would stay here again, or at their hotel chains.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us!

We were very glad to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay as well as the central location of our hotel.

I was sorry to hear about the issues you had with the room temperature. As you may have seen from earlier postings, this was in fact an issue we had up to last month. However, this issue has since been dealt with.

Having said this, I can assure you that our room temperature control panels are not there for mere decoration and that you were unfortunately misinformed. We do not set one temperature for the entire hotel although when temperatures fluctuate as much as they did until last month, it is much harder for us to have full control of temperatures throughout the entire building. Your control panel may however have malfunctioned, in which case we truly apologize for the incident.

Please let us know of your preference for a cooler room upon your next booking as we do have certain rooms which are cooler than others and can allocate them according to your preferences if given prior to arrival.

We do look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to Beijing!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is a nice hotel. I've stayed in various Regent hotel round the world and this one is in similar standard but at lower part among the group.

Don't get me wrong, this is still an excellent hotel to stay with good value and convenient to central location. Still much better than most of the local hotels in Beijing.

The restaurant located at hotel 3F, Lee Garden is a great disappointment. It's the branch of the HK restaurant group with many Michelin stars but the standard is far far below those in HK.

It seems the hotel and restaurant chain groups in BJ still need to catch a lot to meet their reputation.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking a few moments of your time to share your thoughts on your recent stay at the Regent Beijing!

We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the central location and value our hotel offers.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again when your travels bring you next to Beijing.

Been to Regent Beijing? Share your experiences!