“Very nice stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Regent Beijing

Save Saved
You added Regent Beijing to your Saves list
Regent Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.99 Jinbao Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100005, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Special Offer
20% for 2 nights stay
Ranked #34 of 5,168 hotels in Beijing
New york
“Very nice stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stay at park plaza, sangri-la and regent on our week long beijing trip. Regent was the nicest and truly 5 star hotel. It is located centrally unlike sangri-la, only few blocks away from wanfujing. The room was really nice and big. Separate shower and bathtub. We booked the room with breakfast which was awesome. It has a great combination of American and Asian food. But beware if u don't book the room with breakfast, the breakfast is very very expensive at 260rmb I believe per head which is like close to 50usd. The only complaint I had was the key, for some reason the magnet wears off or something. We had to change the keys twice in three nights of stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking a few moments of your time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us!

We were delighted to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you found us to be the best of the three hotels you tried during your stay in Beijing! We've taken good note of the issues you had with your keys during your stay and have shared these comments with our Engineering department to look at it in further detail.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon once again to the Regent Beijing!

935 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
markyz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Not sure if it was just bad luck or a bad hotel. The first night our power went out at about 11pm. We went to bed thinking it would be on by morning, it was not. I called down to ask to have it turned on. Someone quickly came up and was able to return the electricity. That night the lights would not go out. I called down immediately. The person on the other end thought I was nuts to ask for someone to turn out the lights for us but sent someone up after around 30 minutes. It took him around 15 minutes to figure out what was wrong and fix it. The next day the temperature in the room was unbearably hot. I called down once more and was told to simply lower the temp on the thermostat. I explained that I had tried that to no avail. Someone came up to the room lowered the thermostat and said the temperature would be fine in 15 minutes. I tried to explain that I had tried that for the last hour but he did not understand what I was saying. We left for dinner and when we returned it was even warmer in the room. At this point I was a tad upset and requested a new room. The Regent put us into an upgraded room which worked well for the next two nights.
The concierge desk was wonderful. The people could not have been more helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent. I would have rated the hotel excellent if we had not had problems three days in a row.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment of your time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us.

We were sorry to hear that your experience with us fell somewhat short of your expectations. I am afraid that this was indeed an unfortunate sequence of events which are not part of the usual experience at the Regent Beijing (as previous guest reviews will attest to).

After further investigation, we found out that the electric circuit board in your room had malfunctioned. Unfortunately this was not identified the first time the circuit tripped and we do apologize for this.

I believe you were with us from October 23rd to 28th. During this time of year, temperatures tend to oscillate greatly in Beijing with lows and highs differing by up to 20 degrees celcius or more which tends to make it harder to maintain a constant temperature throughout the day, especially in the south-facing rooms with greater exposure to the sun. This is something which is often felt in Beijing and is not singular to our hotel when the seasons change in Beijing. Temperatures are now stabilizing and we have much more control over the temperatures in the building as well.

We're glad to hear though that despite these incidents, you enjoyed the remainder of your stay and that we managed to make up for it by upgrading you to an Executive Room with full complimentary access to our Regent Club Lounge facilities.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again if your travels bring you back to Beijing!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel.lobby is beautiful and functional unlike the Peninsula,where I have previously stayed. Beautiful suite. Great service,especially from Konstantin (spelling), a young Greek/Belgian intern. Helpful far beyond his years. Overall,rank it above the Peninsula where i have stayed 3 previous times.

KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your opinion on your recent stay at the Regent Beijing!

We're delighted to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that Konstantinos has helped to make it all the more memorable. We have shared your compliments with him and are proud to see the results of his efforts pay off.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again when you return to Beijing!
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The hotel is situated in a central location, direct access to the subway. The lobby of the hotel is nicely appointed and service is on par with the price they are charging per night. The breakfast buffet was above average for the hotels I went to in China.
For the room, it's a good size, they thought of everything you could possibly need. The point to note here is that the beds are HUGE. I am pretty sure they put 2 king sized bed together. The only draw back is that the rooms shows its age and feels a bit musty. I would say it is still above average for hotels in Beijing at the price they are charging.
Free wifi in the hotel great for business or a trip to the city.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side have a nice view of the "hu-tong" and make sure you get a non-smok...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a moment of your time to share your thoughts on your last stay with us!

We are glad to hear that you generally enjoyed our services and facilities. Our king beds are indeed large American sized king beds. They are not two king beds put together. Please also note that the hotel is only 7 years old and that we continuously maintain, refurbish and upgrade our guest rooms as time goes by.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again soon to the Regent Beijing!
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We originally booked ParkPlaza, but that hotel was full and we were transfered to the Regent, which is a sister hotel of ParkPlaza and they are next to eah other. First night we were given a smoking room, which was a disappointment since we requested non-smoking, but nothing else was available, next day we were moved to a larger non-smoking room that was very comfortable, clean, great shower. Staff is very friendly.
Good hotel for a city trip,close to the metro and some restaurants

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment of your time to share your opinion on your recent stay with us!

We are glad to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that we were unable to offer you a non-smoking room right from the beginning but please note, as you mentioned, that your booking originally was not in our hotel. Our hotel was also quite busy during these dates and we did not know we would be accommodating you until late in the evening, by which time we had no such rooms available anymore. It is not easy to accommodate these types of requests on such short notice. I am however glad that we managed to resolve the issue the following day.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Regent Beijing soon once again!
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our final hotel in China, the rooms were well furnished with every amenity thought of. The bed was enormous with crisp linen and pillow menu - best nights sleep. The large luxury bathroom
has freestanding tub and separate shower cubicle - the bath salts, loofah (a nice touch)were replenished daily. The mini bar has a complimentary selection of goodies and a box of local dried fruits were provided in the room - there was nothing that hadnt been thought of. The night market and shopping areas are just a five minute walk and for those longing for a coffee a starbucks adjoins the rear - great as a coffee in the lobby was £7.00. Drinks are not cheap at £24 for 2 G/T. Breakfast was unorganised and service poor, lots of bods doing very little, the foots was tepid although there is an excellent selection of western and oriental foods. We ate in the cafe on one evening and found the food good but the service for money being paid poor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us at the Regent Beijing!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you especially liked our spacious rooms and amenities. We are however sorry to hear that some of your experience at our all-day dining outlet has fallen somewhat short of your expectations and have shared your comments with the Food and Beverage team.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again if your travels bring you back to Beijing!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Before going to Beijing this time, I've done some research since I have to pay by myself for two nights. I compared Regent, Conrad, Hotel Eclat, Westin, and Shangrila. and finally settled on Regent Beijing because for the same or lower price of an ordinary room in the above mentioned hotel, I got to stay in the executive room with lounge access. Given that it's operated by Taiwanese, you'd expect the quality.

I've come to the conclusion that this is one of the best hotels for tourists or business travelers who want to stay in a luxury hotel but have to pay by his/her own. These are the highlights:

(1) Which room to stay? Let me just say that I love my room with a view, and oh boy, did I get one (see pics)! I stayed in Room 1824 (the hotel has 19 floors). This is a corner room with two floor-to-ceiling windows facing southwest and west. Look at the pictures! This is one of the best views in Beijing (if you know a better one, please tell me! I'll try it next time). Since the manager does read reviews here, maybe he or she can point out how high you need to stay with an unobstructed view of the forbidden city and bell and drum towers. But definitely ask for one. (I also want to publicly applaud Angela, Regent's reservation department representative, for reserving this room with wonderful view for a new guest! You've definitely earned a long-time customer for Regent.)

(2) service and facilities: Do stay in an executive room with lounge access. Even after this, the price is still cheaper than most western chains in Beijing. The ladies in the lounge (17th floor) were friendly without being too intimidating (I am the type that want to be left alone. Oh, and they are pretty!) Breakfast was great (you order a main course from the menu, and then there are buffet tables as well). Wine and liquor selections for the happy hour are decent. I did use the swimming pool twice, which is 25m. It is bright and airy. Although the locker room is dark and a little bit on the humid side, it feels maintained. Coffee in the room is French press (Now you see I am just listing stuff from memory....) I don't know why you'd want to work when the view is perfect (ok, I admit you can't see anything when the air is heavily polluted, which is like all the time). But if you need to, the desk is big (see pic) and I love how they put the table by itself as opposed to against the wall. Most people have already mentioned that internet is free and fast enough (you do need VPN to access youtube or facebook). You get to iron two shirts for free if you stay in the executive room as well (maybe there are more free services, I don't remember. They did give you a list of complimentary services when you check in, which is nice). I love the Molton Brown shampoo they provided!

(3) Location: The hotel is three Beijing blocks away from Forbidden City and TianAnMen Square (a 20 min walk), a block away from Wangfujing (it's touristy, but in an exotic Chinese way very unlike shopping streets in other countries). Down on the ground level, Jinbao Street has one of the most expensive malls in Beijing. Several extremely well known local restaurants in the neighborhood. So I didn't try the hotel restaurants. Do ask the concierge for recommendations (also be prepared to pay a major world city price though). Right by the mall, there are old alleys (hutons) that are still crowded with collective households. Not too many places in China can you still see such a deep contrast of rich and (dirt) poor living side-by-side. Although there is a subway exit in the building (Denshikou on line 5), line 5 is the main north-south artery, and being squeezed to death during rush hour may not be nice and should be avoided. The fact that it is centrally located in the city, given Beijing's hellish traffic, is probably the only reason why it is not a good alternative for business travelers. But again, if somebody is paying the bill, there are better located (and much more expensive) places for you in this city.

Overall, this hotel really is nice and I highly recommend you to stay in their executive rooms. People complain about noise on the lower floors, but come on, I don't really know how you can avoid that staying in the center of the Chinese universe which is at the foot of Forbidden City!

Room Tip: Higher floors facing west have forbidden city view. East facing rooms are blocked by two buildings i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a comprehensive report on your recent stay with us!

We are absolutely delighted that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that we managed to deliver on our promise once again.

I do believe that you highlighted all of our key selling points!

As for the unobstructed view to the Forbidden City, you start getting it from about the 12th or 13th floors upwards and it obviously gets better as you go up (weather permitting of course!). You may of course make the request to have a high floor room with a view on the Forbidden City at the time of booking. These are however are most widely requested rooms and we therefore cannot guarantee that we'll be able to come through on the request but I can assure you that we do our very best to deliver on such requests.

We are very happy to know that you would recommend us so highly and that we can now count you among our ever growing family of loyal guests.

I have shared your compliments with all of our team (especially with our team at the Regent Club Lounge) to thank them for all their continuous efforts. It is compliments such as these that make it all worth while for us in the end.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again soon!

Been to Regent Beijing? Share your experiences!