“very good hotel in great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Regent Beijing

Save Saved
You added Regent Beijing to your Saves list
Regent Beijing
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.99 Jinbao Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100005, China (Tian'anmen / Wangfujing)   |
Ranked #37 of 5,414 Hotels in Beijing
Leonding, Austria
“very good hotel in great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Elegant hotel in great location with nicely decorated rooms. As you can expect from a hotel this category no bad and no good surprises. We arrived late and had a regular room booked for our son and a superior for us which was to our surprise not an inch bigger. we complained and they were rather impolite at the front desk. In the end they admitted to just not have any more superior rooms but didn't offer an upgrade or discount. This was rather poor service for an international chain and therefore I will not book this hotel again when we are back in Beijing.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Redwood City, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

On a recent business trip to Beijing, I chose the Regent based on the reviews here. Mostly very positive points:
- Great location - the wealthy part of town (the Rolls Royce and Bentley dealers are in the same lobby, and we noticed 3 Rolls get sold in a couple of days).
- Nice rooms - even though they're a little small, they're well appointed. They've covered nice details.
- Service - the people at the Concierge desk were terrific, very willing to help.
- Food - the restaurants and breakfast were very good.

One problem I encountered was the temperature in the room. I understand that it was still winter, but the rooms were very warms and the thermostat would not make the room any cooler. I asked the hotel to fix it, they said they did but it never got cooler. So even though the bed was very comfortable, it was difficult to sleep.

Room Tip: I liked facing the street for the view, but it's a little more noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bandung, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Beautiful spacious room with oriental flavour. We received a complimentary upgrade to the premier room(Thankss!!!) Location is close to the metro and Wangfujing shopping street and the free wifi in room is a major surplus. And do try out Dadong Roast duck at jin Bao builiding. wow what an awesome duck...reservation is a MUST!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012 via mobile

The Regent is a lovely hotel close to the wangfujing area. Close to restaurants and shops, with a metro stop at its doorsteps. Nicely appointed rooms, great gym and pool, and a very deluxe breakfast. Service can be a bit abrupt, ESP in the cafe, but overall, a very nice option in Beijing.

• Stayed October 2011
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We only stayed one night and wish we could have stayed for far longer. Excellent hotel, fabulous large, stylish and comfortable room on 8th floor. Friendly and helpful staff. A most delicious breakfast buffet - a huge choice of local and western style foods, all of top quality. We were really glad that when we arrived at reception, we paid an extra £45-ish to upgrade our room from room only to a package which gave us the breakfast buffet for 2 people, late check-out at 4pm and access to the business lounge, where we had beautifully served free tea and biscuits / chocolates each afternoon, but also access in happy hour (6pm to 8pm) which gave us free wine (including cava and champagne) and free food from a small but exquisite selection of western foods, esp french breads and cheese, italian meats, salads, fresh fruits and dainty desserts. We couldn't believe that we could just help ourselves and we were surprised that the lounge wasn't busier.
For anyone who doesn't want to use their debit / credit card overseas, note that we were able to pay a 1,000 Yuan deposit at reception and settle up at the end of our stay.
For anyone at theis hotel with about 3 hours spare, try to visit the Lama Temple - travel by metro from Dengshikou station right next to the hotel, go north on the green line for 4 stops to Yonghegong station, turn left round the corner and walk south about 300 metres - it's a fascinating place, esp on a Sunday afternoon just before Chinese New Year when it was bustling.
Try to stay a while in Beijing - most tours don't allow long enough so try to make time for the Lama Temple, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Forbidden City as well as a day trip to the Great Wall, plus there is so much more we didn't get to time to see.

Room Tip: consider the room upgrade package I've described above
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

This hotel has very nice quality designer rooms, as expected from The Regent. What was surprising however was the size and completeness of the fitness centre. It is virtually a whole floor, plus a very large-size pool. I have spent some good afternoons in this fitness center. So nothing wrong with this hotel, on the contrary. The scope for improvement here is probably the breakfast, two things: if you do not pick your own table, then they will seat you in an area that you would not have chosen yourself, and this is sometimes unhandy since the walking alleys along the food are not super-spacious; also the quality of the breakfast food is very good, but not spectularly great. Other than this they had some great piano players in the lobby from time to time.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back see to Starbucks, rooms at the front see to the square. Back might be slightly qu...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is my first stay in this hotel and I have generally excellent experience with a variety of 5-star hotels. The Regent falls below the other 5-star hotels I have stayed in but the price is reasonable, the location good, and it has some things to recommend it. The good things - friendly, helpful staff! Nice views from big window. I booked premier club room - but i wonder if it really is as spacious as claimed on the website, but adequate for my needs. (I think they count the bath area in the sq. meters adverstised). If you will spend time in the hotel and have breakfast, go for the club room which is a nice place to go work, enjoy some tea or thier very nice two-hour happy hour with substantial "snacks". The unnecessary misses - I booked a car to pick me up to avoid the line that sometimes can take time to get a taxi (last visit I had to wait 20 minutes for a taxi) and I packed my coat expecting a warm car to pick me up. The greeter couldn't contact the car, after waiting 10 minutes in the cold with no idea where the car was, and after talking to the hotel reception which couldn't locate the car, I insisted on getting out of the cold and taking a taxi. Good choice - no line and only 80 RMB instead of 500. The hotel was very apologetic and offered a free transport when I left. No problem - these things happen although after a long flight one is easily irritated. I asked for a quiet room but got one near the elevator, not a big deal, pretty quiet here except occaisionally. I checked the info on restuarnts in the room info - open for lunch until 2:30 pm. At 2:00 I go to the Chinese restaurant for lunch but they say the kitchen is closed. The restuarant info also says 2:30. I ended up in a cafe eating a really mediocre meal. The next night I order room service at 9:40 pm, the in-room info says room service available until 10 pm. When I call, they say the restuarant is closed. I complain that all the info in the hotel says until 10:00 pm, but sorry no can do. I could order breakfast but at 9:40 pm I would prefer dinner to breakfast. And the hotel breakfast buffet is pretty much what one would expect from a 4-star hotel in Beijing. It has more than enough to satisfy most guests, but it is not at the same level as the other 5-star hotels I have stayed at. The laundry service was fast and cheap (always is in Beijing). The room is pretty comfortable, very nice bed with good sheets and duvet. The furnishings are starting to show age. My vanity lighted mirror was broked but they fixed it on request. My desk chair leans to one side and wobbles a bit. Some of the blinds on the glass wall between the bath area and the main room are bent. There was a kids' handprint on the glass wall - cute! Shower has good water pressure and there are good soaps, shampoo, amenenties. Good to have a hot water heater and tea in the room. Nice to have apples (especially since I couldn't order dinner!). the mini-bar is nearly empty and if you use more than the alotted water you have to pay for extra. The wifi in the hotel works great and I REALLY appreciate when a hotel doesn't charge. If you might get hungry, or want to eat at odd hours due to jet lag, bring your own snacks! Nothing in the mini-bar and you can't trust all of the in-room and other hotel info on the restaurant and room service hours. A really unnecessary way to keep guests from coming back! Especially when the staff is so nice and the hotel has potential to try just a little harder.

Room Tip: if you will eat breakfast and enjoy a refreshment during the day, consider the club room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Regent B, Manager at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Thank you very much for the feedback on your stay with us at the Regent Beijing. By reading it understand that there have been some ups and downs during your stay. However, all the issues mentioned by you have addressed and have since been solved.
At Regent Beijing, we strive to provide superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us as it helps us to rectify any shortcomings. We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better on your next visit.

Been to Regent Beijing? Share your experiences!