“Expect only very basic luxury” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ariva Beijing Luxury

You added Ariva Beijing Luxury to your Saves list
Ariva Beijing Luxury
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.17 Jianhua South Road, Jianguomenwai Street, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022, China (Guomao)   |
Ranked #718 of 5,422 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore
“Expect only very basic luxury”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The furnishing is relatively alright - basic but able to meet requirements for daily living. However, I think this place really tarnishes the reputation & image of Somerset....

The hygiene of this place is appalling. First of all, both the lifts smell really bad and the carpet is so dirty you can almost feel the germs underneath your feet and in the air. The bathroom is small and moldy, as what some other reviewers have mentioned. The shower head is so gross I had to clean it myself with a toothbrush. The towels are turning black and are in need of a change.

The breakfast cafe also doesn't look and feel clean. The pot that they use for the porridge looks like they haven't been scrubbed in a long while - same goes for the buffet trays for the other food.

I made the booking via agoda, which is MUCH cheaper than what they quoted me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Yuanyuan-monica, Manager at Ariva Beijing Luxury, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Luxury Serviced Residence. We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with Luxury Serviced Residence and that we could not make your stay more comfortable. As we are keen to make improvements to enhance our guests’ overall stay at our properties, I have shared your feedback with the relevant department supervisors. I have noted your observations and recommendations for improvements to the facilities, and am pleased to inform you that Luxury Serviced Residence will be undergoing a renovation program during the first quarter on next year. We believe this renovation will significantly enhance the stay experience of our residents. I look forward to welcoming you again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Xi'an, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I've stayed in many hotels across Beijing and China, Hong Kong & Macau. I really like the hotel company who owns this hotel. However, this was not the best hotel I've stayed in with this company. The location is really good. It's close to some major tourist attractions (3 metro stops away or easy bus ride, with a few shopping areas withing walking distance) and western and local food.

The hotel itself is okay, not the greatest. The size of the rooms are really large that is a major plus. Overall the rooms are very clean except for the mildew in the bathrooms which appeared to be a common theme in reviews. There are English tv channels and a 7-Eleven directly across the lobby front door.

There is not hotel restaurant but an attached coffee shop but you must exit the hotel to get to it.

The rooms are dated but if they would simply paint the walls, that would do wonders to the rooms. There is not carpet, just fake wood floors which I prefer over dirty Chinese hotel room carpet.

The only MAJOR issue I have is that we live in the 21st century and this hotel still has not updated to WiFi internet in the rooms. I had my iPad so I had to go to the lobby to access the internet via WiFi. I had an important Skype call to make one morning and ended up cancelling it because the hotel had not WiFi where I could talk privately which I needed. Very Inconvenient.

If you need a big place for a family and don't need to make an important phone call using WiFi then this is a very good choice. If I come on family vacation in the future, I will consider this place if I don't need access to WiFi.

The price is great for what you get and I can tolerate the dated rooms for a large space.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Yuanyuan-monica, Manager at Ariva Beijing Luxury, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
It was a great pleasure having you stay at Luxury Serviced Residence Beijing. Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay experience with us.I have noted your observations and recommendations. Please be assured that we are always seeking to satisfy the expectations of our guests. We seek your patience and understanding as the enhancement amy require time to be implemented。Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.
Stamford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This place is gross. When I checked in, I went to look at the bathroom and there is mold and rust throughout the bathroom. Their is also hair all over the place. I imedialtey tried to switch to another place but the new place was not avaiaiable for three days so I decided I would try to stay at the Luxury Residence. When I returned the second day, there seemed to be more hair and dirt on the ground. Also, the shower in the loft area leaked into the bathroom below and the bathroom was flooded. For our third night we decided to stay in a real hotel because this place is gross. Also, the hall and the room smell when you walk in. The breakfast is in a coffee shop around the corner and it is not sanitary. The butter and food is out not covered. This is hotel is not worth staying here even for the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with Luxury Serviced Residence and that we could not make your stay more comfortable.  As we are keen to make improvements to enhance our guests’ overall stay at our properties, I have shared your feedback with the relevant department supervisors. I have noted your observations and recommendations for improvements to the facilities, and am pleased to inform you that Luxury Serviced Residence will be undergoing a renovation program during the first quarter on next year. We believe this renovation will significantly enhance the stay experience of our residents.
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Please pay attention that this is more a place with apartments than a hotel. The price is a bit higher than it is worse, but you get a two-floor apartment with two bathrooms, a fully equiped kitchen, huge windows with automatic curtains, water bottles as compliment, plus all the usual facilities and a gym. However, make sure you need all this before paying extra price.
The location is quite good although not everybody can understand this from first sight. In fact this is a wealthy district with everything you need nearby. Nearest metro station - approx.400 metres (take exit B when you leaving the station).

Among the drawbacks of the hotel: very limited English language skills of the staff (what a suprise?), poor condition of absolutely everything in the hotel (it is not very old, but looks like one), only wired Internet, breakfast is served in a smoky cafe on the corner, construction works are ongoing in the left wing of the building (noise is significant!).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Yuanyuan-monica, Manager at Ariva Beijing Luxury, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
It was a great pleasure having you stay at Luxury Serviced Residence Beijing. Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay experience with us.I have noted your observations and recommendations for improvements to the employees’ English communication skills. Please be assured that we are always seeking to satisfy the expectations of our guests, for this reason, Luxury Serviced Residence has started a new English learning program that will enhance our staff language skills.We seek your patience and understanding as the enhancement amy require time to be implemented。Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I lived here in a 1-bed apartment for a year from June 2010 to June 2011 whilst on an expat assignment in Beijing.

The first thing to say is that the staff there are lovely and do try their best, even if the level of English spoken is mixed - some can speak it very well but others can speak none at all. I did find that there was a noticeable improvement in the level of English spoken by the staff whilst I was there though so they are obviously taking lessons, and there is usually someone available who can speak at least basic English.

The staff were hugely helpful when family came to stay, and organised an extra apartment at a discounted rate but were also happy to provide additional bedding for the sofa at no cost if an extra room wasn't required.

The location is central and taxis are cheap and plentiful. A tip for getting taxis in rush hour - rather than asking the concierge to get one (they will just stand on the road immediately outside and hope one comes along) walk to the end of Jianhua Nan Road to Tonghuihe Road (the opposite end from Jianguomenwai Dajie) and wait there... you'll be at the front of the queue! If you get bored of waiting, the subway is a 15 min walk to both Jianguomen and Yonganli stations.

There was a good little gym in the apartment building which I enjoyed using, and you can also get free access to the swimming pool, steam room & sauna at the SciTech Hotel round the corner.

One major problem is the fact that some of the apartments in the building are privately owned and so there tended to be a lot of noisy renovation work which the reception staff could not do an awful lot about. This could get annoying at times and I did have to move apartments after a few months as the noise early in the morning at weekends got a bit too much.

Overall I was very happy living at LSR, but I guess it is a little rough around the edges if you were to compare it to some of the other "Western" 4 star or 5 star standard apartments in Beijing (e.g. not very thorough cleaning of the kitchen, slightly damaged bathroom tiles). These were small inconveniences that did not really bother me, but depends on your expectations (and budget!). On that subject, in my final month there the rent was going up to RMB 10,000 per month which did seem a little steep (although Beijing rental prices are high).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Yuanyuan-monica, Manager at Ariva Beijing Luxury, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our guests motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service. Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Luxury Serviced Residence, we look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Did a lot of research before booking this place for one night in Beijing. Found out it was under the umbrella of the Somerset group, but not actually labelled a Somerset in the name. On checking in, I discovered why. Half-heartedly greeted by a man with poor English who preceeded to check me in under another guests name which had some (but not much) resemblance to mine. Only through careful scrutiny of his incompetence, did I discover this! Was provided an aparment directly next to two under apartments undergoing extensive renovations (jackhammers were being used when I walked into the room). Only on being discovered by a housekeeper who didn't speak any English were we moved. I was not provided with breakfast vouchers at check in and only after a bit of miming the next morning on looking for breakfast at the MCS coffee shop next door and presenting again to reception were they provided. The breakfast was okay, but nothing to write home about. Low quality Western fare and the usual Chinese offerings. The open plan two level apartment was okay, but really this is a lower grade apartment offering, and I wouldn't return. All in all, a pretty blah experience.

Room Tip: A high floor, if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Yuanyuan-monica, Manager at Ariva Beijing Luxury, responded to this review, January 29, 2012
We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with Luxury Serviced Residence and that we could not make your stay more comfortable. As we are keen to make improvements to enhance our guests’ overall stay at our properties, I have shared your feedback with the relevant department's manager. We seek your patience and understanding as the recommendations may require time to be implemented. Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.
Mercer Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We spent two weeks in a one-bedroom apartment. It wasn't fancy, but it was very comfortable and spacious. Cable TV included CNN, Star Movies, Bloomberg, and a couple other english speaking channels. You need an ethernet cable (provided) to connect to the internet (no wireless). Breakfast was provided in the nearby coffee house. It consisted of eggs, toast, yoghurt, and the usual Chinese dishes. The staff are wonderful. Requests are handled cheerfully and promptly. The subway is a 10-15 minute walk. Taxis are usually available. It fit our needs perfectly.

Room Tip: Ask to see the apartment before moving in. Some are newer than others.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We are glad to received your feedback for Luxury Service Residence. Your kind words will be shared with the department members.Receiving such feedback from guests like yourself inspire us to continually improve our service delivery. Once again, thank you for making us one of your preferred accommodation choices. We look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.

Been to Ariva Beijing Luxury? Share your experiences!